Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Lower KV bigger motor for longer runtimes? >

Lower KV bigger motor for longer runtimes?

Lower KV bigger motor for longer runtimes?

Old 11-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Lower KV bigger motor for longer runtimes?

Hey, hope this is the right section. I am currently running a 2930kv 3650 size leopard 4 pole motor and Hobbywing SC10 70a ESC in an Agama A8 electric conversion. The buggy weighs in at around 8lbs, which is probably a bit heavy for the mtor/speed control but would rather run the speed control into the ground before upgrading, if it lasts it, saves me the cost of a new controller. Question is, if I swap the motor for a Leopard 4065 size 1800kv, which has a max amp draw of 70 amps to the 2930kv's 65 amps, and gear for the same top speed will I get longer runtimes? Also, if I do gear for the same speed, I get a rollout of 1.83, I dont really get rollout, the higher kv motor has rollout ~1.2 but the lower kv should have the torque to push a higher rollut no?

Thanks for any answers, not really any RC community around here at all so help is appreciated.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

In general higher voltage setups are more efficient because they use less current to get the same power. Volts x amps = watts. Current causes heat which is wasted power. So right now you have a 2930 Kv motor but you didn't say how many cells you are using with it. Lets assume you are running 3s. 3s x 2930 = 8790 /1800 = 4.88. That means that with the 1800 Kv motor you could go up to a 5s battery and keep the same gearing and you will have close to the same top end but better efficiency.