Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Any advantages of high capasity cells for casual stock TC? >

Any advantages of high capasity cells for casual stock TC?

Any advantages of high capasity cells for casual stock TC?

Old 11-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Tech Elite

Default Any advantages of high capasity cells for casual stock TC?

I'm in the market for some LiPo's for a 1/10 touring car, and I'll be using a Nosram Stealth Touch Evolution charger.

I'm re-starting in RC TC, and at this point I'm dusting of my chassis, and my driving skills definately need a lot of practise, as I'm a bit "rusty" by now. Also, I'm not into serious racing (maybe later), I'm more of a casual club racer.

I'm new to LiPo's, but have used NiCd and NiMH 3-5 years ago.

So... what kind of capasities do I need/want?

My initially thinking is that the discharge curve of LiPo's are quite flat, so I dont need high capasity cells to stay in the high voltage part of the discharge curve, like in the NiMh days. Also, lower capacity cells like 3300, is cheaper, lighter and faster to charge. So wouldnt it be better - at this re-starting point - to save some money on lower capacity cells, and put the money into an extra pack or two, instead of running hard on a single pack or two?

But are there more into it? Like lower IR in higher capacity packs? The C-rating dont seems to indicate such a thing, at least not in budget-friendly packs? Other things?

The packs I'm looking at, are some "Orion Rocket Sport 3300 LiPo"
Old 11-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You are correct that for racing the 3000 to 4000mah pack are more than sufficient. Look for packs with a burst discharge rating of 40C or higher.

The mega capacity packs are best for bashers who want to run their cars for 20 to 30 minutes on a charge. We racers only care about getting our 5 minutes worth.

The problem is finding good 3000 to 4000mah packs. I'm using 5000 packs since those are easier to find at a decent discharge rate.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

There's actually a bit of a trend toward using the lower capacity "shorty" packs like this one in many forms of stock-class racing right now. They're cheaper but maintain a high "C" rating and are lighter so you can move weight around how you want it.

So, to second the post above mine, yes, you will be fine with a 3-4000mah pack.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks MarkA and AreCee. Good about high capacity cells with high C-rating often are easier to find
Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

A supplementing note: If I stick to the "charge with 1-2C" rule - then it wont be faster charging a lower capacity pack...
Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
A supplementing note: If I stick to the "charge with 1-2C" rule - then it wont be faster charging a lower capacity pack...
Theoretically it should be the same time to recharge what you used from any pack. 1,000mah is still 1,000mah regardless of the size of the battery. So if you have a 6,000mah battery and used only 1,000mah it would take the same time to charge as putting 1,000mah back into a 3,000mah battery at the same charge rate.