R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   MT4 Drop Down wheel (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/563125-mt4-drop-down-wheel.html)

mdwalsh 10-27-2011 10:56 AM

MT4 Drop Down wheel

Me-
you have mentioned the price point in the thread that you are looking to get to, and have mentioned that it is high for what you are asking.
maybe a thread with a poll, and pictures of the dropdown unit mounted to ask the people that have the radio and let them know where the price is and if they would pay for. it would let you know the general demand for it and if it would be successful endeavor for grid rc to pursue.
personally i am interested and every person running the MT4 at my track has mentioned that a dropdown would be nice, and at least several that would get the MT4 if there was a dropdown wheel available.

Matt

Grid-
Hello Matt,
$65 is too high for sure what people are willing to pay for a drop down on a $229 radio. But our drop down composes of four cnc machined parts which is very milling intensive. If we inject these parts in plastic for pennies, then we can sell it at $10 easily and make even more $$$ on you guys.
Ron

Me-
is doing those parts injected on the table? that would be awesome... need any testers, id be happy to pass it around to my local guys and could give you some great feedback!
Matt

Grid-
Matt,
If we decide to inject, it would have to go to China. USA and Canada injection companies want $15,000 just for a mold and that does not include a min run job. The other problem is China need 10,000 units for a opening run. Your 4 possible sales, leaves us with 9,996 left to sell.
Ron

Me-
that doesnt sound like its very high likely hood then... personally i would pay the 65 for the milled one, hell i would paypal you right now for it.
but i understand it isnt really viable. please let me and the commuinty know if you decide to offer it, even if just a limited run. the 4 at my track would certainly pay the 65, but thats just 4 as you say.
thanks,
Matt

Grid-
Matt,
We truly would like to go ahead with this project, but since we machine our stuff in Canada, operating costs plus the USA grade alum and labor/hydro just not worth it for small runs.
The feedback we got from MT4 owners, if you want a drop down radio, then the M11 would have been the choice.

Me-
thanks for the responses, i wish it was for better news. i will say this though about the MT4, i have an 800mah lipo in mine and it is extremely light, which was the main reason i got the radio. also for the half the price of an M11x you get the same speed and 99% of the features. even a factory airtronics driver at my track as switched to the radio and swears it just as fast but loves the weight for hour long mains.
thanks,
Matt

Grid-
I see the MT4 as the future M11 replace. Eventually Sanwa will release a new MT4 with a factory drop down and back light for $229 and every feature that the M11 has, then phase out the M11.

Me
not to beat a dead horse. but if i created a poll, stating different prices to which a dropdown could be offered at and how much people would be willing to pay for it. would you take into consideration a run of them? you originally stated around $65 dollars for an all aluminum model, would this be correct? also any pictures or 3d models would be awesome to see and could certainly help with demand
Matt

Grid
Hi Matt,
Sorry I was away.
Yes you should put up thread so we can get feedback. We have have talked to a few customers and their feelings in not to spend $$$ on the MT4 at all since they bought it on budget to begin with.
As for pics, we would like not to release the prototype pics. It does look similar to the Futaba drop down.
Thanks
Ron

So basically, if we want a dropdown for this radio all we need to do is speak up. so if you think that $65 bucks is a reasonable cost for an all aluminum dropdown wheel set-up, then speak up and voice your opinion here, and maybe we can get this into production!

Matt

proraptor 10-27-2011 11:25 AM

$65 is more than reasonable for an aluminum drop down for this radio. What grid doesnt understand it that most of the people that bought the MT4 didnt buy it because they thought it was a budget radio because the MT4 isnt a budget radio. It blows away anything spektrum makes not to mention gives the m11x a run for its money.

With that said I would much prefer a plastic drop down because I like how light the MT4 is

Eli 11-27-2011 04:27 AM

Anything ever happen with this? i think a drop down with a swivel like the KO radios have as an option would be awesome, but atleast a drop down.

mdwalsh 11-27-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Eli (Post 9962661)
Anything ever happen with this? i think a drop down with a swivel like the KO radios have as an option would be awesome, but atleast a drop down.

its not gonna happen sadly, there just isnt enough demand

Matt

chonchachencho 03-25-2012 06:34 PM

Damn it!

mdwalsh 03-25-2012 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by chonchachencho (Post 10515494)
Damn it!

pretty much

Matt

onekiwi 11-13-2012 06:58 AM

I want one
Buying the drop down to the MT4 will save having to buy the M12
Please please do one GRID RC

Now that there are the 3D printers could you do a test run with them, its not as hard as alu but does it need to be that robust?

pinoy_rc 12-07-2012 04:45 PM

GRID and the rest of the guys,
if you think the demand not meet not to continue the MT4 drop down project, you are totally wrong. here in ASIA it's about hundreds are using MT4. one proof is the online store hobbyking.com it's every week they are out stock. we ask them why they are only given 20 units per week, and started selling early this year. so how many do you think they sold. and how about the other stores.
agree or not, but MT4 users, are begging for the drop down wheel including myself.
drop down wheel is the only lack of MT4 to be the best radio ever. i saw some in our local track doing some drop down mod using plastic but a little rough on the craftmanship.

Con 12-07-2012 05:45 PM

+ 1 please do it!!!! I know you can;)

rsxskyd 01-17-2019 10:17 AM

Whats the verdict on this? lol

mushroomed 01-17-2019 02:34 PM

This thread is from 2012 but there has since been a MT4 drop down posted for sale on Grid Rc's website:
https://www.gridrc.com/category/Tools-and-Accessories-4

Goof 01-17-2019 03:04 PM

Grid

1 Attachment(s)
I love the feel and the look

BUT IT WAS WAY MORE THAN 65