Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Titanium Motor Screws?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Titanium Motor Screws?

I was just browsing around online for aftermarket parts for my Losi 22 5.0 2wd and found this place rcspeedsecrets. They offer a titanium motor screw set with upgraded bearings and claim the screws eliminate magnetic rotor interference and rotational drag along with the upgraded bearings to boost rpm. Is there much truth to this or is it mostly smoke and mirrors? I can get the practical sense of it but I can't really imagine it having much of a noticeable difference. If the motor came with bushings I could definitely see upgrading to bearings but this whole magnetic interference thing seems like a stretch.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I didn't do the bearings but I've done the titanium timing screws on the motor and it made an immediate noticeable difference. People I've talked to who put their motors on analyzers say that they got around 3000 rpm more with the screws. Whenever anyone asks about them I tell them that it was the best $10 I've spent
Old 04-25-2019, 10:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I've been experimenting with the following upgrades on the Trinity Punisher which is allowed at the club in my area:

1) Titanium screws marketed to increase RPM by 250+
2) Aluminum timing ring
3) Team Spec Ultra High Torque Rotor

I didn't measure each individual change separately but I installed all these upgrades for a friend, and folks were swearing he was running a mod motor in his car, ha!

Not really sure how to quantify any of these things without some sort of a torque analyzer (which I don't have), but I can definitely vouch for the performance gains I personally saw, the biggest increase in performance was the rotor, I am running the aluminum screws and timing ring in my motor which help boost performance a little but nothing like what I saw in my friends motor with the upgraded rotor... holy smokes!
Old 04-26-2019, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, most motors will be more revvy with non magnetic screws and fully (*not hybrid) ceramic bearings. There will be less magnetic drag. Changing the bearings will probably have no downside other than cost, but changing the body screws is altering the amount of iron in the core of each coil so you may gain revs at the expense of torque.

If it's a spec motor it will probably loose homologation if you change from magnetic to non-magnetic screws and bearings. (BRCA rule)
Old 04-30-2019, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If this was the case then why not use polarized magnetized screws in the core, or apply magnets to where the poles are located on the can to increase permeability and attraction.
yes the screws are magnetizable but are not in the winding in a sense where the right hand rule applies to the direct of the current, where as the winding is not directly influenced by a non connected inducted pathway. So the screw basically acts a device that is attracted and opposed to a magnet.

Last edited by Juglenaut; 04-30-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Magnetizable objects become magnetized when under the influence of opposing magnetic fields since a winding influences a screw at high rates the induction of a field through upon it is reversed this is the resistance of the metal to release and gain magnetism, permeability.
The motor only needs iron in its winding in the stator if brushless and rotor (armature) if brushed.

Bigger rotors yields less copper in the winding however to get any more in detail I’d have to write a novel.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Juglenaut
If this was the case then why not use polarized magnetized screws in the core, or apply magnets to where the poles are located on the can to increase permeability and attraction.
yes the screws are magnetizable but are not in the winding in a sense where the right hand rule applies to the direct of the current, where as the winding is not directly influenced by a non connected inducted pathway. So the screw basically acts a device that is attracted and opposed to a magnet.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Punisher

I have to state something I have noticed. I have done 2-3 trinity punisher, 13.5’s, and I swapped out the timing ring and screws and shims with nonmetallic. On neither motor did we pick up anything kv or rpm wise but the amp draw did drop a tad. Now on something with a standard rotor, I have seen 150-160kv and 1500 rpm gain, that was on a motiv 17.5. My theory is on the punisher, the rotor is already so big and so strong that the magnetic interference from metal screws is. It enough to change or warrant the upgrade to aluminum.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doug10
I have to state something I have noticed. I have done 2-3 trinity punisher, 13.5’s, and I swapped out the timing ring and screws and shims with nonmetallic. On neither motor did we pick up anything kv or rpm wise but the amp draw did drop a tad. Now on something with a standard rotor, I have seen 150-160kv and 1500 rpm gain, that was on a motiv 17.5. My theory is on the punisher, the rotor is already so big and so strong that the magnetic interference from metal screws is. It enough to change or warrant the upgrade to aluminum.
what is the guass on the rotor that comes in the punisher?

Old 05-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Rotor

1700ish
Old 05-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Depending on the motor, you"LL get better performance or not enough to make it worth it. I'll say hands down changing a TSR v2 "the one" to full aluminum screws and ceramic bearings made a almost 3k rpm difference and a huge difference on the amp draw on the analyser.