Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Team Orion Vortex R8 Pro ESC >

Team Orion Vortex R8 Pro ESC

Like Tree1Likes

Team Orion Vortex R8 Pro ESC

Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

i didnt call orion yet but i think that i should send out my orion esc and motor check up and replacment new fan in esc dont worry it i will let you about it
Old 05-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

nevermind i will not send out my orion esc bec i find out night my sensor wire was loose from my esc and i fix it already and my fan is working now wow thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Dgee
Just to clear up the differences between the Hobbywing and the Orion stuff... Hobbywing produces the esc for Orion to Orion's specs. The Orion esc has higher quality internal components than the Hobbywing and the biggest difference of all is the software. It was 100% developed by Orion.

So, you might not see a big difference visually but there is in fact a BIG difference between the two.
BS. You are not clearing up anything at all! What specs ?? higher quality internal components - which ? If there are differences in the software as well - which ? So Orion 100% produce their own software ? 100% is not even plausible if they don't produce the esc - 100% - themselves.

So, you might say there's a BIG difference, year rite.
----
Originally Posted by glolar
The fan on my ESC broke the second time I used it. Where can I get a new fan??? I called Horizon support today and they have to check with Orion ... so I am waiting to hear back from them. I can replace the fan if I can just find a replacement!

Also, I have not taken the ESC apart yet. Should I expect any issues when trying to remove and replace the broken fan?

One of the reasons we abandoned Tekin and went with this new RX8 is because the fans on the Tekins wouldn't last at ALL (had a brand new one stop working literally 3 minutes after installing it). The Orion R8 is MUCH smoother than the Tekin, and was running at about 150 degrees after a 13 minute session, but is now running about 185 after 7 minutes of runtime with the broken fan.
who are 'we' ? Originally, only kings and queens speak of themselves 'we'. You don't have to do as your buddies. If you abandon Tekin that's YOU doing it, not WE. There's a reason RC business never labels their fans, because they are utter crap, except for traxxas who use a Sunon fan. Looking for a replacement fan ? Look out for DIMs, CFM, RPM, MTBF, Voltage, Amps and perhaps dB. It's not that hard, if you can find the right esc, you can find the right fan.

It's ridiculous to abandon a great esc because whatever crap fan is in there. Btw the R8 and likes can fit a 35mm fan.

No accusation, but it's not been the first time a user blocks a fan, gets a finger wound, and it burns (the fan). So much for checking if a fan works.

"about 185" ? w/e.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

"We" is my son and I. Not claiming to be royalty, nor are we claiming to be better than anybody else.

And yeah, ABOUT 185. Forgive me if I cannot remember the exact temperature reading ... maybe I should run three more packs and give you an average. Geez.

Just another note on the Orion ESC. You cannot just replace the fan while the ESC is in the car. You have to remove the ESC from the car, remove 4 screws from the bottom of the ESC, and pop off the top of the ESC, just to replace the fan ... that's a bad design. We have switched back to the Tekin, and have ordered a bunch of fans. The fan on the new Tekin "we" have in the car now keeps the ESC temps at "about" 115 degrees.
Peeeenuuutt likes this.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:17 PM

Trader Rating: 470 (100%+)

I ran my R8/1950 Orion system for the first time last night in a Kyosho Mp9 tki2 wc ebuggy. With the stock 46 spur and 15 pinion the speed and torque felt pretty good although not as robust as my Tekin Rx8/1900 combo that I usually run. I did have an issue from the very beginning.......the esc or motor would cut back to about half power at certain parts of the track but mainly the straight. It wouldn't do it until after a few laps. The batteries were fine and balanced(TP G6 Pro Race 5300 60c), the rx was a spektrum and I even installed a cap and the same thing occurred. I looked at the program with the box and it is at default settings. I replaced the sensor with two different ones and the problem was still there. It was not until I pulled the sensor wire off entirely that the issue went away. I do not want to run sensorless so I would love to know what is causing this. The motor temps were 130-169 throughout the night depending on length of run time. The esc temps were very cool.

Any ideas????????

Matt
Old 09-30-2012, 03:23 AM

Anybody?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Not impressed so far

I bought my R8Pro in May along with a MR8 2400kv motor for my Nexx8. 10 minutes into my 1st run and the rotor came apart overloaded the ESC and fried it. Sent it back and HH sent me a new one of each. A few weeks the new system started hitching on takeoffs and shutting down while racing. Corner marshal would cycle power and it would run a couple more laps and do it again. No it wasn't temps cause when it would do it while practicing I would check temps immediately and they were never over 150. Then I saw the blinking red and green lights so I replaced the sensor wire with 2 known working ones and the lights continued to blink. Contacted HH and they say to send in ESC. This is Horizons last chance, if the ESC they send back doesn't function perfectly I'm demanding they credit the HS where I bought everything from for the ESC and programming box (don't need the programmer if I don't have an ESC) because as much as I don't want to I'm probably gonna get an R8. Unless someone as a better candidate? I went with the Orion motor because I want sensored and the Tekins are to close on length for my liking.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 PM

This worries me. Mine was purchased used and came with the car and I have no receipt......
Old 09-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Posvar
I ran my R8/1950 Orion system for the first time last night in a Kyosho Mp9 tki2 wc ebuggy. With the stock 46 spur and 15 pinion the speed and torque felt pretty good although not as robust as my Tekin Rx8/1900 combo that I usually run. I did have an issue from the very beginning.......the esc or motor would cut back to about half power at certain parts of the track but mainly the straight. It wouldn't do it until after a few laps. The batteries were fine and balanced(TP G6 Pro Race 5300 60c), the rx was a spektrum and I even installed a cap and the same thing occurred. I looked at the program with the box and it is at default settings. I replaced the sensor with two different ones and the problem was still there. It was not until I pulled the sensor wire off entirely that the issue went away. I do not want to run sensorless so I would love to know what is causing this. The motor temps were 130-169 throughout the night depending on length of run time. The esc temps were very cool.

Any ideas????????

Matt
Every time I have had one of these ESC's go bad and quit running ( up to three so far ) it dose what you are describing! The ESC works flawlessly without the sensor wire but once you plug it in it starts doing weird things. Usually the ESC will quit working all together within 6 packs of this happening! I have also had a lot better luck running the Tekin motors with the Orion ESC's, the system runs cooler ( ESC & motor ) and it seems to be a little smoother.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:54 PM

Thanks Matt. Will Horizon warranty it without a receipt? It is only a couple months old.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Posvar
Thanks Matt. Will Horizon warranty it without a receipt? It is only a couple months old.

I have never tried to send them back because of the horror stories I have heard about dealing with them! I think they will sell you one for %50 without a receipt ( had a friend in the same situation as you and that's what they offered him ).
Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Talked with Horizon and the service was wretched. They said they do not even work on them and that all they do is a quick check of operation. They also said that the only warranty they come with is a "free of defect upon purchase" warranty. The last he said before we parted ways was "hey, we aren't Tekin".... I guess i should have stuck with Tekin. Lesson learned...I would have to pay full price for a new one if I wanted to stay with Orion.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Question, I have a R8 Pro in my MBX 6R ECO and since the day I got it I have not been able to access the ESC via the Programing Box. I tried different boxes, cable and adapters with no luck. All it shows is the S/W load revision. I sent it back to HH and they sent me a brand new one. Installed it last night and the new ESC does the same thing. Any ides ??? BTW, my box works fine on my 5 R10 Pro's so I am familier with how it works.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:54 AM

Did you plug the wire into the box that typically goes from the esc into the receiver? I have an R10 pro as well and it took me a minute to figure that out.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:56 AM

Other than that mine hooks up fine with my box. My issue is the power cutting out all the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.