Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First charge hard case lipo swelling

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default First charge hard case lipo swelling

I'm running a Losi SCTE with a Tekin RX8 and SC4X 5.5 motor. I just purchased a Xcelorin 6000mah 2S 60C lipo for racing and when I went to charge it for the first time it started to swell a little bit near the end of the charge. With the charger I have I can only charge as high as 5.0 amps, so I charged it at 5 amps instead of 6 (since it's a 6000).

Is this normal? I ran the pack in my truck around my yard and it made the pack swell a bit more, and temps for the pack were around 90-100 degrees. After it cooled down out of the truck the swelling went down, but still not back to normal. Was it a faulty pack? Help?
Old 09-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Stop running that pack and put it somewhere where if you have a fire it will not damage anything. Puffed LiPos are nothing to mess with. I would contact Losi (since it's an Xcelorin product) and let them know what's going on. Swelling is not normal on any LiPo.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help, I stopped running the pack as soon as I noticed it was swelling more. I will be taking it back to my LHS and let them know the issue.

Does it sound like a manufacturer error or did I do something wrong? I am 100% sure the charger settings were correct. It was set at 5 amps, lipo balance, 2S (7.4v).
Old 09-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Could be a bad pack. If you have a LiPo sack, store and transport it in that just to be safe.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It's not smart to run a swelling lipo, but I must admit to running my 2S 7.4 venom lipo all the time and it swells when it gets hot and goes back down when it cools off. It never goes all the way back down, but it does change size depending on the temps. Lipo's finally burst when they have no where to vent (ie, they swell TOO MUCH) so if it is only swelling a very small amount then it's not going to blow, but if it swells while driving to the point you don't notice it is swelling and it goes too far then........boom.

The cause of swelling in new packs can be a faulty pack, but 7 of 9 times it is improper charging which is why I am very cautious before doing any charging that is not straight forward perfect in it's execution.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help guys, I'll have to see what the shop and or Losi have to say. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement, spending that much money to only have it last less than run charge is hugely disappointing. So far getting back into the hobby hasn't been as successful as I would have liked.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Never hurts to project your disappointment on the hobby store in hopes to get a replacement.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

That's what I will be doing, I've spent a lot of money there in the past 2 weeks getting back into the hobby and racing so I would hope they are willing to help me out.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

By the way this is my venom 2S at 75 degrees. It is still not perfectly flat and has some give to it when you squeeze, but when hot it is noticeably more round. It ALWAYS comes back down to this level of flatness when it's cold, so some lipo's do indeed go up and down. I've only seen it get scary big one time and it was really warm when it did.

I just use this pack in my 1/16th revo to play with the dog's, the 3s 2200 packs I have just aren't fair game against a 5 month old puppy.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Mine isn't swelling that much, but it is notice able when laying on a flat surface (it doesn't sit flat and can rock side to side).
Old 09-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Given the fact I drive this pack every day.... I'd drive it. I don't want it to blow up and kill my E-revo or anything so I am not trying to push the limit, but I understand Lipo's blow when they can't vent and I never let it get THAT far. They have to swell a good bit to have problems.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 AM
Tech Regular

Default Swelling

The LHS are going to say you overcharged the cell and sorry user error.Hope you are lucky and have an understanding LHS.