Orion R10 review

Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Talking Soldering hints

Hey guys,
While I'm asking questions

Anyone got any good hints for soldering the wires to the speedy.
Any favorite wire you guy recommend. What is a good size for a 10.5 in a TC.

Steve h
Old 06-03-2013, 05:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Exclamation Im not a Pro.... but from what I understand

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
can anyone help,the brakes on my r10 pro 2.3 s are rubbish,it takes too long for them to kick in,why the delay? its fine if im on a slow part of the track but when braking from high speed it has this delay,please help its loosing me so miuch time on the infield
Make sure you are fully updated on your ESC....
First re calabrate your throttle neutral/foward/brake... Try neutral range Low 9% and check inital break setting . I run 62.5% brake setting then set your dragbreak to 10% or higher, if low traction 10% is good if higher traction try a higher %... you just dont want the rear end to come around. So if its spinning out use a lower drag break setting. Do you have the program box??
Originally Posted by shanwright
Hi guys,
I'm sure there would be something somewhere on the forum about this but I can't find it..
What does a capacitor bank do and do I need one?
I have a R10 pro and running a TC with. 10.5.
I suspect it is used to smooth out the power but I would like to know more.

Is there a thread about this any where?

Thanks
Steve H
Its so you have stored energy for when your under heavy aceleration( burst) and I recomend using them so you dont burn up your ESC
the caps just smooth out the dc ripples on the input side.... makes the voltage "smoother" and eliminates spikes.
Major reason those large caps are present is to reduce impedance due to battery internal resistance and long leads. This is particularly important when high Kv motors are used with marginal batteries (old or small). Otherwise the FETs pull down the supply resetting the micro or other voltage sensitive circuits.

Deans wet noodle is fine but the stock wire is great stuff.... make sure you have a good solder station and I like 60/40 solder
( not silver solder)
Use flux.... take your time ... use something to hold wire so you dont burn your fingers. Hope this helps.

Last edited by XXXDad; 06-03-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

can anyone help,the brakes on my r10 pro 2.3 s are rubbish,it takes too long for them to kick in,why the delay? its fine if im on a slow part of the track but when braking from high speed it has this delay,please help its loosing me so miuch time on the infield
Hi, have you tried initial break set up to 40?

Tha should help.

Ciao,

Lorenzo
Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by XXXDad
First re calabrate your throttle neutral/foward/brake... Try neutral range Low 95 and check inital break setting . I run 62.5% brake setting then set your dragbreak to 10% or higher, if low traction 10% is good if higher traction try a higher %... you just dont want the rear end to come around. So if its spinning out use a lower drag break setting. Do you have the program box??
yes tried all that and yes i have the programmer

Originally Posted by lore
Hi, have you tried initial break set up to 40?

Tha should help.

Ciao,

Lorenzo
yes,i have tried just about everything to lose the delay but its still there,i have taken a vid of whats happening,knowing my luck thats just the way it is,once i have it uploaded ill post it here,i forgot to mention that this is in a touring car /xray t4
Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

heres the vid
http://youtu.be/ljFsxIaV05Y
Old 06-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I had the same thing happen to me.Try reseting the radio and ESC. Thats what I did and now it's fine.

Mark
Old 06-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Talking

First re calabrate your throttle neutral/foward/brake... Try neutral range Low 95 and check inital break setting . I run 62.5% brake setting then set your dragbreak to 10% or higher, if low traction 10% is good if higher traction try a higher %... you just dont want the rear end to come around. So if its spinning out use a lower drag break setting. Do you have the program box??

Its so you have stored energy for when your under heavy aceleration( burst) and I recomend using them so you dont burn up your ESC
the caps just smooth out the dc ripples on the input side.... makes the voltage "smoother" and eliminates spikes.
Major reason those large caps are present is to reduce impedance due to battery internal resistance and long leads. This is particularly important when high Kv motors are used with marginal batteries (old or small). Otherwise the FETs pull down the supply resetting the micro or other voltage sensitive circuits.

Deans wet noodle is fine but the stock wire is great stuff.... make sure you have a good solder station and I like 60/40 solder
( not silver solder)
Use flux.... take your time ... use something to hold wire so you dont burn your fingers. Hope this helps.
Thanks XXXDad.
Sounds like good advice.

Steve h
Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thumbs up Good Luck

Thanks XXXDad.
Sounds like good advice.

Steve h
no problem...
Old 06-04-2013, 04:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Smile What gauge wire is big enought?

no problem...
What Gauge wire would be good I need to put new wires on.
Also while taking off the old wire the solder lugs can off too.
I thought I would just solder straight on the board.

Any thoughts.

Steve
Old 06-04-2013, 07:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Arrow Deans is good

What Gauge wire would be good I need to put new wires on.
Also while taking off the old wire the solder lugs can off too.
I thought I would just solder straight on the board.

Any thoughts.

Steve
Wet Noodle
The ultimate wire for full race applications. 12 Gauge silicone wire with an unbelievable 1660 strands, it is so flexible that it feels like a wet noodle! The highest grade of copper and pure silicone insulation provide maximum power and easy soldering.
The cups that receve the wire should stay just replace wire .... dont heat from bottom of board.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm wondering if someone can help me out. I have recently bought a R10 pro (2-3S version) and a programming box. I used the supplied cables and a new sensor wire and the box would not work, it was just stuck on the program box firmware screen.

It wouldn't work with the stand alone program box or on the PC. Now if I disconnect the sensor wire to the motor it works perfect. But, as it states on the Team Orion website on their description of the esc it states:

"The two sensor ports have two purposes, firstly they allow you to better manage the sensor wire positioning and secondly the port which remains free can be used to connect the ESC to the DSB-R digital program box without having to remove the sensor wire each time."

To me that says it should work with the motor sensor wire still plugged in. It doesn't work for me. I even tried updating the box firmware and the esc firmware.

Can anyone help me out?

It's a bit annoying pulling the motor sensor wire out every time I want to use the box (its in a tight spot), especially since one of the main purposes of the dual sensor ports is so you can use the programmer without unplugging each time.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What motor are you running?

Unfortunately, if you read back in this thread, there are some motors that you must unhook the sensor wire to be able to program the ESC.

I use Orion and LRP motors and do not need to unhook.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yep what he said some motors like reedy and I think Novaks you have to unplug the sensor wire from the motor for the box to work. Sorry just how it is...
Old 06-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc10gt82
What motor are you running?

Unfortunately, if you read back in this thread, there are some motors that you must unhook the sensor wire to be able to program the ESC.

I use Orion and LRP motors and do not need to unhook.
I run an LRP x20. What LRP are you using?

I will have a read through the thread tonight, it will be good to see what others have said about the esc.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Mine is also an LRP x20, 8.5T (not that it matters). I'd make sure that your speedo has the latest firmware.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.