Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with a lipo

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Help with a lipo

Hey, so i just bought a gens ace ,5000mah ,2S ,40C lipo from Hobbypartz, and i plug it in to my AC6 charger and set up everything correctly.(I read through the manual, and watched the video on Hobbyparts about it) It starts to charge so i look at the individual cell charge on the menu and the first cell has a 0 voltage rateing on it and the 2nd cell is completely charged. It beeps at me and tells me it is done chargeing. Is it a bad battery or should i try to discharge and charge it again.
-Thanks much
Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Charger should tell you the overall pack voltage on the screen, it should be 8.4v fully charged

No harm in discharging a little and trying again, screen will tell you the voltage when discharging

If the pack is below 6v the charger will not start the charge process

Could be just a faulty screen display or user error

Cheers
Old 08-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks much i will try dis chargeing it.
-Thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Regular

Before doing anything else, verify that the cell voltage is low using a voltmeter. A damaged balance lead can give false highs or lows or read zero volts.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Need to verify what the voltage of each cell and compare that total to the voltage across the man power leads. If the main leads voltage is a lot greater that the sum of the two cell voltages, prob have a balance wire prob. The charger wouldn't have charged a 2S lipo with one starting a 0v.

Everybody in this hobby needs a cheap DVM - mine was $0.99 from Northern Tool. Even this is plenty accurate enough to help understand whats going on in a situation like this.