Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
calling all FUTABA 3PK users..... >

calling all FUTABA 3PK users.....

calling all FUTABA 3PK users.....

Old 05-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anyone know if the Futaba 3pks with the fast system installed will work with the regular novak gtb or do I need to switch to the gtb with spread spectrum.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t4mania
Does anyone know if the Futaba 3pks with the fast system installed will work with the regular novak gtb or do I need to switch to the gtb with spread spectrum.
It will work just fine. There are benefits to running the SS version of the GTB but it is not a requirement. It works the other way around - if you have the GTB SS you should not run a non-spread spectrum radio. Makes it glitchy.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks Kuzo, I emailed Novak and Charlie said the same thing.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Is there a way to adjust the trigger tension on the 3pk? I looked through the manual but may have overlooked a way to do it!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gixxerman
Is there a way to adjust the trigger tension on the 3pk? I looked through the manual but may have overlooked a way to do it!

No - only steering wheel tension. I know some people on here have said they find the trigger tension too firm. Personally, I really like it and find the Helios and especially the new DX3R too light.
The new 4PK will have the option of trigger tension adjustment.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:00 AM
Tech Champion

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM1104

So anyone know why this module won't work on the 3PKS? Thanx
Old 05-17-2008, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by air8
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM1104

So anyone know why this module won't work on the 3PKS? Thanx
Dont see why not. I have it on My 3PK, th eonly thing I had to make sure is that you do not have it on HRS.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Champion

My bad. i didn't switch to PPM. THANK YOU!! Dang technology. LOL. all good now.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

My bad. i didn't switch to PPM. THANK YOU!! Dang technology. LOL. all good now.
Cool, the one thing I did was dremel out the cover for the antenna to slip through and capped the old antenna hole with an old trinity fuel bottle cap.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gixxerman
Are you having issues with it too light or heavy? I feel that the 3PK has one of the smoothest triggers around. The only think I really adjusted on mine is the overtravel on the brake and had to tweak the trigger to fit me. The gap was too big for my small fingers.....
Old 05-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rifleman223
Cool, the one thing I did was dremel out the cover for the antenna to slip through and capped the old antenna hole with an old trinity fuel bottle cap.
Hmmm. On my PK and brank spanking new PKS the cover fits tight but not cause of the antenna. The spektrum module just seems a bit tall. So the cover needs to be wrestled into place a little. Once it's on I don't see any clearance issues.

And yea, I need to find some kind of a cover for the stock antenna hole.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Its easy to adjust the throttle tension on the 3pk. There are like 5 or 6 screws on the back you have to remove, then remove the rubber grip--under the grip there is another screw. Crack the 3pk open and there will be another screw which (I think) lets you remove part of the screen surrounding plastic. Once its open you just remove the 3 screws that hold the trigger assembly and you will see a 2mm socket screw which is attaced to the throttle tension spring. They are usually set pretty stiff from the factory, I backed out the screw until the spring is at its lowest tension setting. Much better now--feels like an M11.

One clue that this adjustment exists is that in the manual it says something like "you can adjust the steering wheel tension from the outside of the unit"
Why would they say that? It would seem to me if they state something like that then there is ANOTHER adjustment which requires adjustment from the INSIDE of the unit. And there is!! Its not some hacker mod either--its an actual adjustment screw Futaba installed so throttle tension could be adjusted.

Also, there is no need to dremel either the Spektrum module or the actual 3pk to fit the Spektrum module in with the stock cover on. The best thing to do is take a heat gun or hair dryer and heat up the little plastic tabs. This way when you jimmy it in the tabs will flex instead of cracking--that plastic is really stiff and cheap feeling.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The reason they say that you can adjust the Wheel tension from outside is because you can.

I had to break out my manual but on page 50 of the 3PK manual it shows you how to do so using a 1.5mm driver in the whole by the PS.1 switch.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Champion

On the 3PKS the throttle tension can be adjusted from the end of the radio, outside. A small silver screw is all you adjust. It's just underneath the "head" of the radio. I'm not sure what else to call this part of the radio.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

On the 3PKS the throttle tension can be adjusted from the end of the radio, outside. A small silver screw is all you adjust. It's just underneath the "head" of the radio. I'm not sure what else to call this part of the radio.
Are you sure? The only outside adjustments I know of are for steering wheel tension and the one at the end of the radio that lets you reduce the manual brake throw on the trigger (but that doesn't change the trigger tension).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.