Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
LRP SPX Zero soldering to Novak Ballistic 17.5 help! >

LRP SPX Zero soldering to Novak Ballistic 17.5 help!

LRP SPX Zero soldering to Novak Ballistic 17.5 help!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default LRP SPX Zero soldering to Novak Ballistic 17.5 help!

I have a LRP SPX Zero ESC and just bought a Novak Ballistic 17.5 motor. Before I solder the esc to the motor I want to make sure the A B C markings match up or if I need to solder other than A to A, B to B, and C to C. Reading on other forums I haven't found anything to lead me to believe they are different. If someone could tell me who has used lrp esc to novak motor would be great. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yep your good thats how they all work
Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks a lot, now time to solder up and set up my new DX3C and hit the track!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

have the same speedo in my 22 buggy have had no issues with it nice esc
Old 05-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

With Brushless motors you can hook them up either way and it will either run forward or backwards and in the case of running backwards the esc has a rotational setting to fix it...
Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks for the responses, but I am having issues. I got the Novak because my LRP x12 17.5 somehow smoked. Randomly one time turning on the esc the motor was sending a constant tone and smoked, turned it off right away. After that it ran fine but hot, like really hot in the end and started cogging. After hooking up the Novak the same thing happened with the tone but no smoke or burning smell. Now its cogging as bad as the LRP right away. I don't know what im doing wrong and it seems whatever settings i change on the esc it makes no difference. Something that seemed odd to me right away was with drag brake dissabled when i let off the throttle to neutral it would stop instantly, is this how it is meant to work. The only way i got the motor to spin down normal was by putting it in drag brake profile 1. This is when all the problems seemed to start. This is all new equipment bought within the last two weeks. I have had nothing but problems and am getting really frustrated. I just bought the truck and equipment to start racing again after being out of the hobby for a few years and am about to give up. If anyone could help i would be very appreciated.

P.S. Running suggested gearing by other racers right away 75 spur, 25/26 pinion. This should not be overgeared for a 17.5 motor.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm going to repost my last reply in a new thread to get more attention. If you read here reply in either thread. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by seakfr34k View Post
Thanks for the responses, but I am having issues. I got the Novak because my LRP x12 17.5 somehow smoked. Randomly one time turning on the esc the motor was sending a constant tone and smoked, turned it off right away. After that it ran fine but hot, like really hot in the end and started cogging. After hooking up the Novak the same thing happened with the tone but no smoke or burning smell. Now its cogging as bad as the LRP right away. I don't know what im doing wrong and it seems whatever settings i change on the esc it makes no difference. Something that seemed odd to me right away was with drag brake dissabled when i let off the throttle to neutral it would stop instantly, is this how it is meant to work. The only way i got the motor to spin down normal was by putting it in drag brake profile 1. This is when all the problems seemed to start. This is all new equipment bought within the last two weeks. I have had nothing but problems and am getting really frustrated. I just bought the truck and equipment to start racing again after being out of the hobby for a few years and am about to give up. If anyone could help i would be very appreciated.

P.S. Running suggested gearing by other racers right away 75 spur, 25/26 pinion. This should not be overgeared for a 17.5 motor.
Maybe check all settings on your transmitter, you could have some weird problems possibly with end point settings or trim settings??
Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Rookie

I thought that may have been the problem but when i put in the Novak i also installed a dx3c system (was previously using a old 75mhz futaba) and the same problems happened. I didn't change any endpoints or trim when setting up the new radio so i don't think that is the problem.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by trickedout View Post
With Brushless motors you can hook them up either way and it will either run forward or backwards and in the case of running backwards the esc has a rotational setting to fix it...
You CAN NOT wire a sensored system any way other than A-A, B-B, C-C.
At best it will not run, at worst it will SMOKE.