Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Switch from Castle sv2 / 5700kv to Novac Havoc 2s / 8.5t system? >

Switch from Castle sv2 / 5700kv to Novac Havoc 2s / 8.5t system?

Switch from Castle sv2 / 5700kv to Novac Havoc 2s / 8.5t system?

Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Switch from Castle sv2 / 5700kv to Novac Havoc 2s / 8.5t system?

I used to race 2wd stadium trucks back in the 90's (Losi JRX-Pro converted to truck). After all this time away from the hobby I find myself with an HPI cup racer running 4500mah NiMH packs through a Castle sidewinder sv2 with 1406 5700kv brushless system. I have no intentions of going back to racing, so this is just a fun thing to play with. I know this may be overkill for a mini car but I like it!

What I'm disappointed with is the low speed control. It cogs and sputters at very low speeds. I don't want to lose much top end if any, so I suppose I could try slightly different gearing.

Would a switch to LiPo help? I'm considering a Novac Havoc sensored system to have better low speed ability. Any tips for improvements?

I'm amazed at the state of RC these days! I smell a 4wd SC truck in the near future...
Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Be sure to google "Novak Havok problems" before you spend your hard earned money on it.

As for the Sidewinder and low speed operation,
From a standstill it will never have quite the feel of a brushed or sensored setup, but most would probably agree that at any speed above 1mph it should be as smooth as you could ask. If you are experiencing cogging at any speed higher than from a standstill, you probably have another issue besides normal sensorless operation. If your battery is not a top quality Nimh, this will certainly cause an issue when trying to accelerate from low speeds, as the 5700kv motor will want to pull very high current for a moment. You can also try adjusting your start power and timing settings to see if it improves. Lastly I would say overgearing is a common problem. The 5700kv should be very fast with proper gearing. Your comment about not wanting to lose any top speed leads me to believe you may not be getting its full potential as it is, in which case being overgeared could be your culprit. In some cases I have seen acceleration AND top speed improve by dropping a few teeth on the pinion gear. Of course this is just speculation as I do not know what your exact setup is.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by burnineyes View Post
Be sure to google "Novak Havok problems" before you spend your hard earned money on it.

As for the Sidewinder and low speed operation,
From a standstill it will never have quite the feel of a brushed or sensored setup, but most would probably agree that at any speed above 1mph it should be as smooth as you could ask. If you are experiencing cogging at any speed higher than from a standstill, you probably have another issue besides normal sensorless operation. If your battery is not a top quality Nimh, this will certainly cause an issue when trying to accelerate from low speeds, as the 5700kv motor will want to pull very high current for a moment. You can also try adjusting your start power and timing settings to see if it improves. Lastly I would say overgearing is a common problem. The 5700kv should be very fast with proper gearing. Your comment about not wanting to lose any top speed leads me to believe you may not be getting its full potential as it is, in which case being overgeared could be your culprit. In some cases I have seen acceleration AND top speed improve by dropping a few teeth on the pinion gear. Of course this is just speculation as I do not know what your exact setup is.
My first reply never posted... Weird.

Thanks for the response. The Sv2 really is quite good, so I'll try to gear down a couple teeth first on the pinion.

Also, apparently the Havoc problems have been figured out with the latest versions. It may still be a viable option for me. I may pick one up anyway for another car.