Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Choosing a Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Unhappy Newbie Choosing a Radio

Hello RC world,

I am brand spanking new to the hobby and have purchased a 1/8 electric off road buggy. I have everything needed except a Radio (TX)and Reciever (RX).

I have been doing hours on top of hours of research trying to figure out what is a good entry TX that will work good. I am hearing all types of good things about Futaba and Spektrum.

I will be going to several tracks at some point and will look to be competitive down the line. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should go with. I have been looking at the 3PKS, 4PL-4, DX3s, Dx3r, airtronics etc. I am looking to have something that would not force me to upgrade in the next year or so. After this electric buggy, I will be building a nitro car. I just would like something that will work really well and will be easy to program so that I can pop (RXs) into multiple cars/trucks that I build and go.

Sorry for the long explanation but I need some input from experienced RC drivers. Looking to spend between 100-250.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TowerPower
Hello RC world,

I am brand spanking new to the hobby and have purchased a 1/8 electric off road buggy. I have everything needed except a Radio (TX)and Reciever (RX).

I have been doing hours on top of hours of research trying to figure out what is a good entry TX that will work good. I am hearing all types of good things about Futaba and Spektrum.

I will be going to several tracks at some point and will look to be competitive down the line. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should go with. I have been looking at the 3PKS, 4PL-4, DX3s, Dx3r, airtronics etc. I am looking to have something that would not force me to upgrade in the next year or so. After this electric buggy, I will be building a nitro car. I just would like something that will work really well and will be easy to program so that I can pop (RXs) into multiple cars/trucks that I build and go.

Sorry for the long explanation but I need some input from experienced RC drivers. Looking to spend between 100-250.
If you can stretch your budget another 20-25 bucks you can get yourself into the new Spektrum DX3R Pro. Can be found online for around $260-280. Best radio you can get your hands on for the price and every bit as good as the more expensive Airtronics M11x and Futbab 4PKS. Every feature you could ever need, drop down wheel, DSM2, telemetry capable, 40 model memory, its loaded.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

some cheaper choices

1A.Futaba (#2PL-2.4G) 2 Channel Digital Proportional R/C System 2.4GHz USD$109.90

1B. Futaba (#3PL-2.4G) 3 Channel Digital Proportional R/C System 2.4GHz USD$119.90

2. KO PROPO (#80097) EX-5UR 2.4GHz w/receiver (KR-210S) USD$99.90

3. Spektrum (#SPM3160) DX3E 3Ch DSM Surface Radio USD $99.90
Old 04-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Im in the same boat with updating my radio. Im thinking about going with the new airtronics Mt-4. Looks like the only real negative is the lack of a backlight. Im trying to justify not getting the m11x because i dont need it, but i have to admit that if i had the cash i would go with the m11x.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bigterp77
Im in the same boat with updating my radio. Im thinking about going with the new airtronics Mt-4. Looks like the only real negative is the lack of a backlight. Im trying to justify not getting the m11x because i dont need it, but i have to admit that if i had the cash i would go with the m11x.
People locally are learning fast that the Airtronix MT-4 is not as great a radio as one would have you believe. If going Airtronix its the M11x or nothing. For the price of an MT-4 you can get into a Spektrum DX3R Pro, which is in the same class in terms of features and performance as the M11x and Futaba 4PKS.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

With the dx3r pro, when do you need to run a voltage protector or a glitch buster?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bigterp77
With the dx3r pro, when do you need to run a voltage protector or a glitch buster?
The nice thing with Spektrum recievers is they can run 2s Lipo batteries unregulated since they have a voltage input range of 4.8-9.6 volts. Putting in a surge cap(aka: "glitch buster")that smooths out and keeps the supply voltage high though is always a good idea and is cheap insurance for 5-6 bucks. I run em on all my rollers whether it needs it or not.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would not buy any radio without holding it in my hand first.
If your finger is to short for the throttle travel that can be a big problem.

Get a radio that others at the track have, that way if you ever need help you can get it.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

im running a rx8 esc and running it with 3s. i have heard some people experiencing some issues with the rx8 and the spektrum. will the glitchbuster prevent those?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ntrain42
People locally are learning fast that the Airtronix MT-4 is not as great a radio as one would have you believe. If going Airtronix its the M11x or nothing. For the price of an MT-4 you can get into a Spektrum DX3R Pro, which is in the same class in terms of features and performance as the M11x and Futaba 4PKS.
WRONG! hate to argue with you but your statement is wrong. the MX-3X is the exact same technology and receivers and almost as many functions for a fraction of the price, around 150 or less. ive owned both (at the same time) and they are both great and feel the same, i just preferred the M11x weight so sold the MX-3X. the MT-4 is close to same technology basically with the addition telemetry. the MT-4 is like the DX3S radio but a little better IMHO but IMO the MX-3X or M11x are far better.

i have always not likes spektrum, to many glitch issues, ive owned a few spektrum stuff and all of them would glitch or make the servos twitch constantly if the radio is within a couple feet or if your in an inclosed trailer that a charger is on. had it happen with 3 different spektrum radios....

and BTW the MX-3X and M11x receivers can handle straight LiPo
Old 04-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Can't go wrong with the Spektrum radios... dx3s, dx3r and dx3r pro.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

futaba 3pm-x might be a good middle of the road choice, it has ABS function which would be potentially useful for nitro, and I don't think there are many radios at that price point ($160-$180) with that feature. I have this radio, so far I am quite happy with it.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
WRONG! hate to argue with you but your statement is wrong. the MX-3X is the exact same technology and receivers and almost as many functions for a fraction of the price, around 150 or less. ive owned both (at the same time) and they are both great and feel the same, i just preferred the M11x weight so sold the MX-3X. the MT-4 is close to same technology basically with the addition telemetry. the MT-4 is like the DX3S radio but a little better IMHO but IMO the MX-3X or M11x are far better.

i have always not likes spektrum, to many glitch issues, ive owned a few spektrum stuff and all of them would glitch or make the servos twitch constantly if the radio is within a couple feet or if your in an inclosed trailer that a charger is on. had it happen with 3 different spektrum radios....

and BTW the MX-3X and M11x receivers can handle straight LiPo
OK, did you even READ or comprehend my post? Why is the MX-3X or DX3S being brought into the conversation here? Actually your post doesn't really make any sense.

I already get the fact your "anti Spektrum" with a chip on your shoulders, but my post deals with the DX3R PRO, its pricepoint, and its comparable performance to the M11X and 4PKS at the pricepoint that might be within this person's budget.

Quite honestly I question the issues you may have even had with whatever Spektrum gear you may have owned at whatever point in time. Either that or I question the kept integrity of your equipment or install ability(like knowing the capabilities of equipment with other equipment, needed current, compatibility of materials,electronics etc and how to PROPERLY DIAGNOSE and SOLVE a potential issue)of specific items.

But while we are on the slight mention/side subject of the MT-4, I can say now after finally having some hands on with it and seeing a few of the youger folks at my track use it, that it is at best on PAR with the DX3S(which it actually targets as a direct competitor)offering a few more features, yet deifinetly having less range and even though its compatible with newer generation rx's its true response speed/resolution is basically the same as the older DX3S's DSM. Sport radio it definetly is, QC and absolute range issues issues it has as well. DSSS technology is still the best for absolute range and signal lock.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ntrain42
OK, did you even READ or comprehend my post? Why is the MX-3X or DX3S being brought into the conversation here? Actually your post doesn't really make any sense.

I already get the fact your "anti Spektrum" with a chip on your shoulders, but my post deals with the DX3R PRO, its pricepoint, and its comparable performance to the M11X and 4PKS at the pricepoint that might be within this person's budget.

Quite honestly I question the issues you may have even had with whatever Spektrum gear you may have owned at whatever point in time. Either that or I question the kept integrity of your equipment or install ability(like knowing the capabilities of equipment with other equipment, needed current, compatibility of materials,electronics etc and how to PROPERLY DIAGNOSE and SOLVE a potential issue)of specific items.

But while we are on the slight mention/side subject of the MT-4, I can say now after finally having some hands on with it and seeing a few of the youger folks at my track use it, that it is at best on PAR with the DX3S(which it actually targets as a direct competitor)offering a few more features, yet deifinetly having less range and even though its compatible with newer generation rx's its true response speed/resolution is basically the same as the older DX3S's DSM. Sport radio it definetly is, QC and absolute range issues issues it has as well. DSSS technology is still the best for absolute range and signal lock.
it wasnt just me having these issues, there are alot of others having issues with spektrum. i can tell your a biased because all your post is saying spektrum is the way to go.....
Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
it wasnt just me having these issues, there are alot of others having issues with spektrum. i can tell your a biased because all your post is saying spektrum is the way to go.....
My only honest bias is performance/price ratio and the fact that DSSS has some advantages in range and signal lock over FHSS. Other than that, not really.

Quite frankly 9 out of 10 "online complaints" I see with people dealing with issues with Spektrum radios are user/setup error in one form or another. Very rarely do I see a real viable issue with the product and its normally due to mfg. defect of one form or another(all all mfg's have defective products and batches from production runs).

Here locally, the hardcore racers all use Spektrum,Airtronics or Futaba higher end tx/rx sets and they all work as intended without issue. Reason being is that you have alot of knowledgeable people in my area. One person who I found who had an issue with his M11x and major glitching for example, was due to the fact that he had his rx literally surrounded in CF. I caught this issue and corrected it for him helping him find a better mount up higher off the CF plate. Little things like this make a difference.

Another example was another young kid having major glitching issues with his DX3R. He was using a Savox servo which are notorious for high current draw and being noisy. The fix there was twofold. A. putting a PAIR of Novak glitch busters in line and B. cleaning up and removing the RUST off the small 20 gauge connectors on all his electrical connections and applying electrical conduit grease. Its worked flawlessly since then.

Little things like these get amplified and overblown online as problems due to the tx/rx set and not the real root of the issue being poor upkeep and user install error.

Thats my angle on this. When these issues are non existant, then you can focus on the pros/cons of radio features, etc. And beyond radio features, I do favor the DSSS technology vs. FHSS. DSSS for RANGE and signal lock(especially in noisy electrical areas) I have always found the DSSS based radios have slightly better useable range and better signal integrity. For bashing this can be beneficial. For racing, it doesnt really matter when your roller is normally always within 100 feet or so of the transmitter, you will then never really tell a difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.