Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree192Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 01-28-2024, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sosidge
You've piqued my curiosity. I think it can be reverse engineered by using the ESC data logging and a stand alone motor checker to compare KV. I have a feeling it is a lot less than 64 degrees (because at beyond 60 degrees total mechanical timing the motor will effectively be retarded on the next phase), I reckon 20-30 degrees total is more realistic.

I'll have a closer look next time I have a car on the bench.
OK so it turns out I was miles off here.

It looks like the latest XR10 timing is measured in degrees. Took a series of readings using my SkyRC motor checker and then with the ESC data logging. Although there was a slight discrepancy in readings between the two, adding timing to the ESC (turbo) was broadly equivalent to adding mechanical timing on the endbell.

Using a 17.5 motor, c.23k rpm was achieved at the initial timing setting, and adding 12deg of timing on either motor or ESC would take you to c. 24.5k RPM. Adding 24deg of timing on either would take you to c.32k rpm (I took many more measurements but you get the point). Turbo timing of 32 shot the RPM up to 47k! I chose not to test any further.

So there is potential to add massive amounts of timing to the motor if you want within the ESC (I was wrong about 60 degrees being a limit, clearly the motors can be timed well beyond that, but they run at extreme RPM and at extreme inefficiency).

This is using an XR10 G2s on the XR-5.0.05 firmware, no idea if earlier models on earlier firmwares have the timing in smaller "steps" instead of degrees.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
OK so it turns out I was miles off here.

It looks like the latest XR10 timing is measured in degrees. Took a series of readings using my SkyRC motor checker and then with the ESC data logging. Although there was a slight discrepancy in readings between the two, adding timing to the ESC (turbo) was broadly equivalent to adding mechanical timing on the endbell.

Using a 17.5 motor, c.23k rpm was achieved at the initial timing setting, and adding 12deg of timing on either motor or ESC would take you to c. 24.5k RPM. Adding 24deg of timing on either would take you to c.32k rpm (I took many more measurements but you get the point). Turbo timing of 32 shot the RPM up to 47k! I chose not to test any further.

So there is potential to add massive amounts of timing to the motor if you want within the ESC (I was wrong about 60 degrees being a limit, clearly the motors can be timed well beyond that, but they run at extreme RPM and at extreme inefficiency).

This is using an XR10 G2s on the XR-5.0.05 firmware, no idea if earlier models on earlier firmwares have the timing in smaller "steps" instead of degrees.
Thanks so much for taking the time to test this out. This throws some light into the whole debate of ESC timing vs Can timing.

Was your testing done on no load, motor slave load, motor dyno or chassis dyno??

Thanks!
sosidge likes this.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Riketsu
Thanks so much for taking the time to test this out. This throws some light into the whole debate of ESC timing vs Can timing.

Was your testing done on no load, motor slave load, motor dyno or chassis dyno??

Thanks!
No load.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:41 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,
I have bought XERUN XR10 PRO STOCK SPEC 1S V4. I need to upgrade my 3in1 program box to be able to set it up. Is the new firmware compatible also with my old Xerun - 120A - V3.1-Black? I dont want to end up reloading firmware when I need to set one or another.
Thx.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Acid_CZ
Hi,
I have bought XERUN XR10 PRO STOCK SPEC 1S V4. I need to upgrade my 3in1 program box to be able to set it up. Is the new firmware compatible also with my old Xerun - 120A - V3.1-Black? I dont want to end up reloading firmware when I need to set one or another.
Thx.
I'm not sure if that 3 in 1 can be upgraded to support it, it might be too old. I think you need one that says multifunction instead.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:12 AM
Tech Adept

3in1 is on the paper box, on the unit itself it is says Multifunction LCD program box, so fingers crossed.
The question still remains, will I be able to program both ESCs after update?
Old 02-11-2024, 05:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Acid_CZ
3in1 is on the paper box, on the unit itself it is says Multifunction LCD program box, so fingers crossed.
The question still remains, will I be able to program both ESCs after update?
If it's a new enough box, yes.
Old 02-11-2024, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

Yup, it worked. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Im having issues with the HW xr10 G2s. I bought one a few months ago after my pro stock died. The G2s lasted a few months then it died during a run and it will give power to receiver and fans if I hold the ON button in. But as soon as I release it the ESC dies. I got a new one on warranty but after 4 practice sessions it died and acted the same way. It dies during a run, it will give power to RX and external fans if I hold the ON button down, but it won't react on throttle input.

During this time I've been running the HW 13,5 G4. Can it be the motor that kills the ESCs?
Old 02-22-2024, 05:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Andersson
Im having issues with the HW xr10 G2s. I bought one a few months ago after my pro stock died. The G2s lasted a few months then it died during a run and it will give power to receiver and fans if I hold the ON button in. But as soon as I release it the ESC dies. I got a new one on warranty but after 4 practice sessions it died and acted the same way. It dies during a run, it will give power to RX and external fans if I hold the ON button down, but it won't react on throttle input.

During this time I've been running the HW 13,5 G4. Can it be the motor that kills the ESCs?
any updates???
Old 02-24-2024, 01:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi,
Can I use the new Ezrun 4990 G2 with the new MAX 8 Esc or do I need to use the MAX 6 ?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2024, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

Anyone tried the new Justock G3S yet? I tried mine yesterday and the neutral range seems messed up. Comparing to my Justock G3, when I set that to the default neutral range of 8%, I need to provide 8% of input before the ESC reacts, as normal. But with the G3S I need to input ~25% before it'll react. Dropping the neutral range setting to 6% instead on the G3S drops the input requirement to about 23%. Seems like a firmware bug to me.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Anyone tried the new Justock G3S yet? I tried mine yesterday and the neutral range seems messed up. Comparing to my Justock G3, when I set that to the default neutral range of 8%, I need to provide 8% of input before the ESC reacts, as normal. But with the G3S I need to input ~25% before it'll react. Dropping the neutral range setting to 6% instead on the G3S drops the input requirement to about 23%. Seems like a firmware bug to me.
i have a G3 i just installed a few days ago. I can try on mine.

I was looking at it through the BT dongle and i think there is a firmware update. i didn't update yet but maybe that's the fix?
Old 03-08-2024, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RetroThutmose
i have a G3 i just installed a few days ago. I can try on mine.

I was looking at it through the BT dongle and i think there is a firmware update. i didn't update yet but maybe that's the fix?
G3 or G3S? My G3 works fine. I've updated my G3S firmware and same issue.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
G3 or G3S? My G3 works fine. I've updated my G3S firmware and same issue.
G3s

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.