Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree174Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 05-15-2022, 09:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

HobbyWing XR8 Pro ESC and 4268 1900kv motor.

I purchased this motor/ESC combo new and just installed it 2 weeks ago. It worked great and made good power in my Tekno buggy.

Was driving fine last night, then I came to a stop for a few seconds on the edge of the track to wait for my friend to catch up. Then I applied throttle but the buggy wouldn't move. Steering still worked. Applying throttle for a couple seconds will make the ESC act as if it's been rebooted, what with all the arming/beeping. See the video:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Tried changing:
  • battery
  • receiver
  • sensor wire
None of which made a difference.

Connected program box to the ESC and noticed that all my settings were reset back to default. Prior to that, the only settings I had that were different from default were:
  • enabling reverse/brake
  • setting the servo BEC to 8.4V
  • changing the LVC from "Auto" to like 13.6V
  • changing the running mode from full-sensored to hybrid

Motor timing on the can was run at the setting it comes out of the box with, which is 30. I changed this down to 20 since the weather will become very hot where I live once summer is here. I've been running a 16T pinion. Only driven on the offroad track -- no land speed record or drag racing stuff.

Firmware indicated by the program box:
  • PB-4.0.06
  • XR-5.4.03

The program box also showed a crazy motor temp of like 179C/354F. I unplugged the sensor wire then powered it up again, and I was able to make motor spin up a bit before it began rebooting itself. I plugged the sensor wire back in checked the temp with the program box, and it now shows 40C/104F, and when the program box is not connected, it's once again unable to spin the motor.

Really hoping this new ESC hasn't failed this early in without having made it to the first race. What should I do? Thanks.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:42 AM
Tech Regular

Does anyone know if there are any decent online "guides" as to the setting options on the XR10 G2(S) please?

From what I can gather from reading the manual, and running the ESC for a few months now..:

Throttle Rate Control - acts to soften the bottom end of the throttle curve?
Throttle Curve - can be used to soften the bottom end of the throttle curve?
Softening Value - can be used to soften the bottom end of the throttle curve?

gigaplex likes this.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can anyone explain exactly how the boost timing algorithm works? Near as I figure, if I have the start at 5000 rpm at 30 degrees, and end timing at 45000 at 45 degrees, it advances it linearly throughout the range? And if the motor achieves higher than 45000, it keeps the 45 deg timing? The other question I have is, when boost is enabled, should I start it at 5000 rpm, or go higher? I suppose what I'm really after is a clear and concise explanation of how boost settings affects the bottom end and top end, and how it interacts with the turbo settings.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
Can anyone explain exactly how the boost timing algorithm works? Near as I figure, if I have the start at 5000 rpm at 30 degrees, and end timing at 45000 at 45 degrees, it advances it linearly throughout the range? And if the motor achieves higher than 45000, it keeps the 45 deg timing? The other question I have is, when boost is enabled, should I start it at 5000 rpm, or go higher? I suppose what I'm really after is a clear and concise explanation of how boost settings affects the bottom end and top end, and how it interacts with the turbo settings.
You already seem to understand how the boost works. Turbo is how much extra timing it adds on top of boost when you're at full throttle for a certain amount of time. The ramp up on that timing is time-based as well.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Now that begs a follow-up question. Just where would I set the start of the boost for a given track? Say it's tight and technical with a straight that you only have a couple seconds to get up to top speed. When I was adjusting it, I found that sometimes I would have the power I need to accelerate hard, but sometimes I found the power was lacking and I had to back off the throttle to full neutral and then get back on it just to get it to accelerate properly.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the XR8 Pro paired with the 4268 G3 2100kv motor. Trying to setup to run 3s with boost and turbo. I cannot get the turbo to engage and it doesn’t seem like the boost is working either.

I have made sure my transmitter EPA and D/R are set to 100%. Calibrated the esc multiple times. Refreshed the firmware. Changed sensor wires, nothing seems to make a difference. Have the same setup in a truggy with the 4274 motor and it works fine, but I can’t get this one to kick in.

I can see that the esc is getting to full throttle because the light turn solid green.

Any idea why it isn’t engaging boost/turbo?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-22-2022, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

mines doing the same thing no throttle and i got steering it just died on the track
Old 05-22-2022, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 0010 View Post
I have the XR8 Pro paired with the 4268 G3 2100kv motor. Trying to setup to run 3s with boost and turbo. I cannot get the turbo to engage and it doesnt seem like the boost is working either.

I have made sure my transmitter EPA and D/R are set to 100%. Calibrated the esc multiple times. Refreshed the firmware. Changed sensor wires, nothing seems to make a difference. Have the same setup in a truggy with the 4274 motor and it works fine, but I cant get this one to kick in.

I can see that the esc is getting to full throttle because the light turn solid green.

Any idea why it isnt engaging boost/turbo?

Thanks in advance!

Tried some more today and what I notice is that it never comes out of blinks mode, no mater what you do. Whether you use one of the included profiles that have turbo already programmed or you add it yourself, the light always blinks at neutral throttle. I have no idea what to do next.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

So another question. I installed a quicrun 3650 G2 21.5 locked timing motor into a 22x4 elite (because it's all I have at this time and I like to fart around with ESC settings a bit) with the Xerun XR10 pro G2 and I noticed it has a rather slow rampup time from zero to max RPM. I'm used to brushless systems being bonkers powerful - coming from sensorless systems like Tekin speedos with motors rated in kV rather than turns. Any way to improve the 'snap' in the acceleration; power that goes from zero to full in a blink of an eye, that I know brushless systems can do?
Old 05-25-2022, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
So another question. I installed a quicrun 3650 G2 21.5 locked timing motor into a 22x4 elite (because it's all I have at this time and I like to fart around with ESC settings a bit) with the Xerun XR10 pro G2 and I noticed it has a rather slow rampup time from zero to max RPM. I'm used to brushless systems being bonkers powerful - coming from sensorless systems like Tekin speedos with motors rated in kV rather than turns. Any way to improve the 'snap' in the acceleration; power that goes from zero to full in a blink of an eye, that I know brushless systems can do?
That motor is fairly weak, I don't think there's much you can do to get what you're after with it.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 0010 View Post
Tried some more today and what I notice is that it never comes out of blinks mode, no mater what you do. Whether you use one of the included profiles that have turbo already programmed or you add it yourself, the light always blinks at neutral throttle. I have no idea what to do next.
Worked with HW support and it turns out it is most likely a bad sensor board in the motor. I have a Truggy with the same ESC and a 4274 motor setup to run 3s with boost and turbo and it is working fine. HW support suggested I swap motors and see what happens. I put the Truggy motor in the buggy and it worked fine, put the buggy motor in the Truggy and no boost/turbo and the ESC stayed in blinky mode. So, the esc is reading the sensor board and if it doesn't see what it likes, it is going back to zero timing.

Now I am pursuing a warranty replacement on the motor because it is brand new!
Old 05-26-2022, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Xr8 plus

I have a xr8 plus with hw 1900 sensored. that works good. I have noticed that like 1 out of 10 times I barely hits the throttle nothing happens. Makes it hard to fly car. changed the punch setting to max . That appears to have helped. But it is not perfect. Any ideas before the esc becomes backup unit. Also will a 1900kv motor work sensored with mamba x esc. ( I just tried for a second and it was making a screeching noise so i stopped. ) gonna go uncensored and try again. Third update. Works butter smooth with mamba x non sensored. Update 4 ha ha. Had a b and c wrong on mamba x. Hooked up correctly with sensor wire works perfect. Put in hybrid mode .Thanks

Last edited by jasburrito; 05-26-2022 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
That motor is fairly weak, I don't think there's much you can do to get what you're after with it.
I suspected as much. Oh well - it'll keep me going on the small track here until I pick up a couple Fantom motors.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I did a quick search through the thread and didn't see anything so does anyone know the drive and brake frequency of the little 60A XR10 JUSTOCK G3? Thanks!
Old 06-11-2022, 08:57 AM
Tech Rookie

I just went to adjust my XR8 Plus settings via the OTA programming. After connecting my phone to the unit I received the "Electrical modulation information verification failed" message that I have seen a few people inquire about but haven't seen any responses. Any thoughts Hobbywing or RC fam? Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.