HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree192Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 03-27-2019, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shatty
Looking for the right pinion gear for my setup. Im using the XR8 with the 2250kv motor, RC8T3.1e with stock spur (I think its a 46T), and 2 sets of tires and wheels. 4S battery. One set has 4.05" outer diameter and other has 4.26" OD. 75% of the time in the street on pavement. Want more top end but I dont wanna go too big and burn out motor and wires. Any info would be appreciated.
Temp gun is your friend.
As much as I can appreciate you want a firm answer, the truth is there isn't one: driving style and usage scenario over the full discharge length of the pack have a far bigger impact on motor temp (and thus appropriate gearing) than anything else. Someone else might have a setup that works perfectly with (x)t pinion but it can cause your identical setup to overheat. I find motor fan (or none) and body cooling holes make a substantial difference too. If you take an IR gun reading at various points on the motor can (aim for the black parts either side of the fins), it will take your personal usage and ventilation scenario into account. On that motor I'd personally want to keep it under 75*C / 170*F. The fact that you say 75% of driving time is on pavement almost guarantees most people's (dirt track) recommendations will be invalid for you, even a cheap $10 IR tempgun off ebay will give you more useful data.
Originally Posted by Panther6834
All I can say is this:
As of today, it's "goodbye Tekin"...all current vehicles, as well as the vehicles I'm currently building, or collecting parts to build, will ONLY be running HW motors & ESCs.
So, Hobbywing, what do you have to say to this disaster of so-called "customer service / tech support"...or, should I say, the complete lack thereof ???
Sounds like you're running out of brands to boycott.
As Slotmachine replied to you initially, HW left Tekin behind in many respects some time ago. I believe it is the superior product, but that's why we have choices.
I don't think HW (nor the majority of its global customers) are going to be fussed over your CS rant. It's a far larger company than Tekin, and in this scenario I think your best solution is an RMA either through HW USA directly, or better yet through your place of purchase. It does sound like your ESC may have a problem, especially if this only happens with one of your two HW ESCs? I did try to read what you wrote but it was difficult to find the actual question. If you purchased from a local shop this should be no problem. Personally I'm very careful to buy HW gear through verified local retailers rather than from random ebay sellers, as counterfeiting can be a problem.

In any case - my advice is, if you purchased from a reputable retailer, use their help to get warranty support.
If you want to switch back to Tekin by all means do that too. Both brands make good products.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Honestly, I don't want to switch...back to Tekin, or to any other brand. Having spoken to several people, in terms of quality of product, HW appears to be excellent. I understand that, with any product, there can be a lemon here & there. The product, itself, I'm not upset with, not in the least. What I'm upset with is HW's level of customer service. It's back enough when you can't reach a live person. It's much worse when their outgoing message system says to "leave a message, and someone will return your call"...and no one even bothering to call. However, it's completely unacceptable when a technician actually answers the call, and then, without saying a word, hangs up on the person calling (and, yes, it's fairly easy to tell the difference between a disconnection, and a person answering & hanging up).

I understand that I could go to the website, and file for an RMA through that method...but, due to the unusual circumstances, as well as the previous text supports calls, that's the reason I believe speaking to them is the better/smarter way to go...if I could actually reach a live person, that is. I'll try again, tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:18 PM
Tech Addict

but, due to the unusual circumstances
Where and how did you purchase your HW products exactly?
My suggestion wasn't a website RMA, it was to contact your retailer where you purchased the gear directly.
My point was that often that's a faster way to get repairs/replacements rather than the direct-route when dealing with a huge company.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by uDi_MP7.5
Where and how did you purchase your HW products exactly?
My suggestion wasn't a website RMA, it was to contact your retailer where you purchased the gear directly.
My point was that often that's a faster way to get repairs/replacements rather than the direct-route when dealing with a huge company.
Purchased from an authorized dealer... NorCal Hobbies, in San Jose, CA, to be specific. I understood exactly what you meant in regards to contacting the dealer...but at the same time, they also aren't aware of the earlier matter. That's the reason I'm attempting to contact HW directly. I've dealt this way before, and with far larger companies (Samsung, Sony, Apple, Toyota, etc), and I've never had this much difficult reaching a live person. If I'm unable to speak with someone by tomorrow evening, then I'll talk to Eric (the owner of NorCal Hobbies), and see how he thinks it should be handled.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

Purchased from an authorized dealer... NorCal Hobbies, in San Jose, CA. I'll talk to Eric (the owner of NorCal Hobbies), and see how he thinks it should be handled.
You've purchased through an authorized dealer, they're probably more than happy to help you (fast) - that would have been my first point of contact!
After exhausting that route, I'd try HWNA, specific to North America: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/pages/rma
Contacting HW in Asia directly (the furthest option from your geographical location) and expecting brilliant service is just setting yourself up for dissapointment IMO, especially when in your case there are better avenues at your disposal. Of course in an ideal world every avenue should provide great service, but a little logic doesn't go astray. Best wishes getting it sorted. As you said, good product, occasionally get a bad one in any brand.

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
Wires are ok as I tried two separate RX. I will try a different servo next seems logical. Servo is/was new and ESC/Motor was almost new bought used from here.
Definitely try a different servo, if you have a Futaba or Sanwa (even a basic one temporarily) it'll be the safest bet to eliminate high current draw as the cause. Cheaper brands (Savox and anything from HK) tend to have high draws causing brownouts like Bill said. Buying used makes it a little difficult to rule out a pre-existing issue too. Which model ESC is it, and did it come with original box?
Old 03-28-2019, 05:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by uDi_MP7.5
After exhausting that route, I'd try HWNA, specific to North America...Contacting HW in Asia directly (the furthest option from your geographical location) and expecting brilliant service is just setting yourself up for dissapointment IMO...
I WAS attempting to contact HWNA, not HW Asia.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I had good communication with them through e-mails. My ESC is going in for repair/replace. Hope they replace it. In my case I was wrong the one I had was brand new never even got a full battery through it. The one in my buggy is used and still going strong. Mine sat on the shelf for 3 months because it rains here all the time any more. I hope they will make it right and replace it even though it is after 30 days. Good luck with yours.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
I had good communication with them through e-mails. My ESC is going in for repair/replace. Hope they replace it. In my case I was wrong the one I had was brand new never even got a full battery through it. The one in my buggy is used and still going strong. Mine sat on the shelf for 3 months because it rains here all the time any more. I hope they will make it right and replace it even though it is after 30 days. Good luck with yours.
I'm hoping the same. HW quality, from what I've heard from many people, is supposed to be excellent. That's why I decided to make the switch, from Tekin. Will update once I have an update.

Last edited by Panther6834; 03-28-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

First, and foremost, please pardon the extended length of this post. I never intended it to be as long as it ended up being. However, in order to properly convey all that I believe needs to be said, it is the length it needs to be. That being said..........

I contacted HW support this morning, and, wire frankly, I am amazed at the reply...and NOT in a good way. In short, they have blocked my phone number, and set their system to refuse inclining calls from my number. I had two previous calls with tech support, on two consecutive days, both of which involved the same super technician. In both calls, he (I won't name him, so, for those reading this, please, do not ask, as I'm not trying to "mark" him) interrupted me numerous times. Yes, there were occurrences where I interrupted him, but, in the great majority of those, as soon as I realized I was interrupting him, I stopped. On the other hand, when he interrupted me, he'd keep going.

I followed all troubleshooting steps given on the first day, all of which failed, this the reason I called on the second day. Unfortunately, all additional troubleshooting steps also failed. While a few steps were performed while on the phone, the majority were performed separately. While I initially believed the problem to be related to one device (WiFi Module), I now believe the problem, from the beginning, was with the ESC, to which I've filed for an RMA.

I won't go into the details of that, as this isn't about the defective product, but is about the poor customer service received so far. One example would be when, during the first call, due to the interruptions, I had asked to speak with a supervisor, to which he responded, "I don't have a supervisor." This, for obvious reasons, I found extremely strange. However, during the following call, he mentioned that he had spoken to the supervisor after the call, this contradicting his "no supervisor" statement the day before. I've worked in customer service, and customer service-related positions the majority of my working life, and I've rarely had experiences as bad as this. But, now, to have them tell me, via email, that they've programmed their phone system to refuse calls from my number (their system, literally, hangs up on my automatically) is the worst I've ever experienced...not even so much as a phone call from a supervisor, or manager, to find out from the customer what happened. In the email I received, the person who sent it wouldn't even indicate him) herself by name...it's simply signed "HOBBYWING Customer Care".

I know there will be some who read this, and just think of it as "ranting". Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't, but, the point I'm attempting to get across is this: Hobbywing probably does produce excellent products (honestly, I can't yet say, as my very first HW product...the new XR10 Pro Spec v4...was defective or-of-the-box), but my experience with HW phone support has, so far, been about the worst I've experienced in my 36 years of working within the customer service sector. Hopefully, their email support turns out to be much better.

I've spoken to support with several RC companies (TLR/Horizon Hobby, Team Associated, Tekin, Traxxas, Fantom, etc, just to name a few)...sometimes for an actual support need, and sometimes just wanting to get information. With the exception of HW, they've all been fantastic. All of the others have been very helpful, giving the impression that they actually CARE about having the customers they have. They were patient when something they were saying wasn't understood the first time they said it. They listened to what I was saying, without interrupting, and waited until I finished saying what I was saying. When I had questions, they answered the questions exactly as to what was asked. If they asked me questions, they waited for me to answer before moving forward. And, in return I gave them all of the exact same courtesies. Unfortunately, where the two calls with HW were concerned, it was close to the exact opposite on almost every point.

I'm not normally one to complain. In many ways, I'm like a mirror...you direct niceness towards me, I reflect niceness towards you...but, if you start biting me, I start biting back. I will try to hold off as much as possible, but one can only be "pushed" so far before they start "pushing" back. It's a sad thing that customer service is no longer what it once was...but, it's even sadder when a company cares more about covering up poor customer service, especially when they can't even come up with a so-called "valid" reason to justify not only the lack of customer service, but also the backwards way in which they've decided to handle it. It kind-of reminds me of how the Catholic Church has handled a certain "problem" over the past 20-30 years...cover it up (with lies, if need be), sweep it under the rug, pretend it doesn't exist, and hope no one outside finds or the truth.

Again, hopefully the email support goes better. Based on what I've been told by others, HW quality is supposedly excellent...and, in those (hopefully) rare occasions where a lemon is manufactured, they replace it quickly enough. I'd like to continue believing this...I shall find out soon enough.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Got the 60A ESC and switched from the 80A XR10 in my F1.
calibrated it correctly. Acceleration is smooth but with full throttle the car is at least 30-40% slower in top speed. I just have the wifi Module and didn't change any settings of the ESC...

What can I do? Breaking and first acceleration is smooth, so I don't think it's a sensor cable issue....
tried another motor too, same Issue....
Old 03-30-2019, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by man1ac
Got the 60A ESC and switched from the 80A XR10 in my F1.
calibrated it correctly. Acceleration is smooth but with full throttle the car is at least 30-40% slower in top speed. I just have the wifi Module and didn't change any settings of the ESC...

What can I do? Breaking and first acceleration is smooth, so I don't think it's a sensor cable issue....
tried another motor too, same Issue....
given you had asked in the other thread Hobbywing Justock esc

i think the members there may have adressed your question.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

Default XR8 sct pro will not calibrate

I have an XR8 sct pro that I can not calibrate. When I turn it on the steering works but not the throttle. The esc light goes from red to green very quickly. To calibrate I turn the radio on, EPA and dual rates are at 100%, plug the car battery in, press and hold the set and power buttons simultaneously and the esc light goes from red to green very quickly. It dosent matter how long I hold the buttons the light stays green. I tried to reverse the throttle channel with the same results. Any help that could be provided would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Will the reedy 1/8 Electric motors work in full sensor mode with hw XR8 esc?
thanks
idbdoug
Old 03-31-2019, 05:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by idbdoug
Will the reedy 1/8 Electric motors work in full sensor mode with hw XR8 esc?
thanks
idbdoug
yes their new series will.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

I'm in the process of setting up an xr10 stock spec in a 2wd buggy. The manual doesn't explain what a rapidly flashing red led means. I'm guessing bad sensor wire since I don't have the motor connected yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.