Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree90Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 03-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

I've been told a lot of different things on this topic, most of which didn't add up so I did some more research and spoke to people who should know, like an electrical engineer.
If the ESC can handle the current then going to one with a higher current rating won't improve performance because of the higher current. Some people have said that having a higher current rating will mean the ESC pushes more current through a stock motor and helps with jumps...yeah not buying that! From what I can gather the motor draws what it wants, the battery supplies what it can and the ESC just sits in the middle regulating it - so as long as you don't melt/destroy it from the excessive current draw then any should be as good as the next.

However, its more likely that a higher rated ESC will be a higher model for the same manufacturer and likely to be specced with better components which could make a difference. Since you have Hobbywing and they have 3 models its a good brand to look at. The Juststock is 60amp and cheapest, so "probably" has lower quality components which will lead to higher internal resistance etc leading to less of the power getting to the motor. The XR10 stock "should" be better, not because of the higher amp rating, but because of the components, efforts put into R&D and software etc. I don't know if the 160amp XR10 Pro is "better" than the XR10 stock though, as it may be that they are both the top spec model just for different purposes, or it may be that the XR10 pro is the top of the range with the best components and software.

One claim I haven't tested but sounds reasonable (and was from someone who should know, and runs Trackstar, Surpass etc rather than the motor of the week) is that the higher amp ESC will have stronger brakes. I didn't go into why with him as I was talking about motors at the time and it came up when I asked if I should upgrade the ESC. His view is that my old 80amp ESC would perform as well as his 120amp but his would have stronger brakes. Incidentally that ESC packed up and I've replaced it with a SkyRC Toro 120amp, not for the higher amps but its a good bang for buck ESC and it wasn't a planned upgrade, rather a forced one so the money mattered.

So if the Justock is working for you then stick with it. If its playing up and you can get a good deal on a combo since you're buying a new motor already, then do that. Or if you just like upgrading and want something shiny and new, do that.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shatty View Post
Not really because I was told to ask the manufacturer of the motor and ESC about this info. As per Associated's site
The motor/ESC manufacturers will usually be able to recommend an FDR (final drive ratio), but you'll usually need to refer to the chassis information to determine what pinion/spur combo will give you that FDR.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Interference glitching problem help 1/8 Truggy

I have a 1/8 scale truggy that is having a problem. It has a Hobbywing ESC and motor that are almost new and a new Trackstar/Hobyking servo. It runs and drives great then out of no where it will go out of my control the throttle and steering will glitch and jitter/shutter. I have tried two different rx/tx combos Futaba 3PV and another Futaba that was used in another buggy both are known to be good. I have had this problem at my house and at a track 1 hour away so I know the problem is not interference from some one else or local to the house (that does not eliminate the problem is internal from the ESC or servo) I tried un plugging the sensor wire for the motor but no change. I have only used one battery that is a 4000mah 5S. Can any one throw out some ideas of what may be going on. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

I started out with a Justock running in 13.5T 1/10 4WD Buggy and it did great on a clay track where brake strength wasn't important. The club in our area switched to a turf track and this would put a higher demand on the ESC. It wasn't until I upgraded to an Outlaw Trinity Punisher 13.5T (which the club allows) and then I started getting brownouts due to using a high drain Savox servo and a high powered motor cooling fan; I had determined this was too much draw for the 2A BEC on the Justock... I then upgraded to the 80A XR10 Stock Spec which includes a 3A BEC and my brownout issues went away. In addition I noticed the brake strength was significantly stronger after the upgrade too! As far as top speed and acceleration was concerned, I couldn't tell any difference there. I have also installed the 160A XR10 Pro in another stock car and was not able to observe any performance gains over the 80A Stock Spec. If you are racing with a stock motor, I feel it would be more advantageous to run the Stock Spec because it's significantly lighter than the Pro ESC with the same level of performance. I feel that HobbyWing has found the sweet spot being at 80A and I no longer recommend the 60A Justock.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

could be an incompatibility with the servo, not uncommon for budget servos to cause glitching and/or brownouts... is everything new? If not, I would check for loose connectors on the Rx... also make sure the wiring isn't binding during use... for example if the Rx isn't properly secured and just flopping around inside the Rx box, then the wires can shift the connection to the Rx and cause glitching that way.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
could be an incompatibility with the servo, not uncommon for budget servos to cause glitching and/or brownouts... is everything new? If not, I would check for loose connectors on the Rx... also make sure the wiring isn't binding during use... for example if the Rx isn't properly secured and just flopping around inside the Rx box, then the wires can shift the connection to the Rx and cause glitching that way.

Wires are ok as I tried two separate RX. I will try a different servo next seems logical. Servo is/was new and ESC/Motor was almost new bought used from here.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1 View Post
Wires are ok as I tried two separate RX. I will try a different servo next seems logical. Servo is/was new and ESC/Motor was almost new bought used from here.
used electronics make me nervous, no telling if the ESC was overheated or saw a hard chassis slap... I've seen a guy damage a brand new ESC on the very first lap one time

I would consider swapping out a name brand servo (maybe borrow one from a friend at the track) and see if that fixes it.... not knowing the previous history of the ESC does sound suspect to me... I might consider an RMA if servo swap doesn't work... HobbyWing usually offers a really good discount to replace a broken ESC outside warranty.

As a general personal rule, I don't like to buy used ESC's, batteries or motors unless it's from someone I trust... used servo's and radio's tend to be less problematic... hopefully the initial price + RMA cost doesn't exceed the price if you paid new in the first place!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Do you have a program box by chance to go through the settings on your esc. I would also suggest getting ahold of HW USA and talking with the CS directly, or via email. They are usually good about responding. Also as an FYI, they sometimes offer remanufactured ESC's and such as well at a discounted price, should you need a new ESC.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Do you have a program box by chance to go through the settings on your esc. I would also suggest getting ahold of HW USA and talking with the CS directly, or via email. They are usually good about responding. Also as an FYI, they sometimes offer remanufactured ESC's and such as well at a discounted price, should you need a new ESC.
I do have a program box. I will go through it again.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Max 8 combo

I just got a max 8 combo and it was awesome for the first run. Then I went to go again and the esc went poof. I'm very upset about this
Old 03-25-2019, 04:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have a 1/8 scale truggy that is having a problem. It has a Hobbywing ESC and motor that are almost new and a new Trackstar/Hobyking servo. It runs and drives great then out of no where it will go out of my control the throttle and steering will glitch and jitter/shutter. I have tried two different rx/tx combos Futaba 3PV and another Futaba that was used in another buggy both are known to be good. I have had this problem at my house and at a track 1 hour away so I know the problem is not interference from some one else or local to the house (that does not eliminate the problem is internal from the ESC or servo) I tried un plugging the sensor wire for the motor but no change. I have only used one battery that is a 4000mah 5S. Can any one throw out some ideas of what may be going on. Thanks.
Sounds like Hobby Wing is calling it a ESC issue and wants to warranty it. Only problem is I do not have the original receipt. Go figure. Thanks for the help. Hopefully they will make it right. If not next ones will have to be Tekin.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hobby Wing Wifi Express Questions

Hello,

I have been searching for some information on how the Wifi Express Module works with the Justock ESC. I haven't had much luck in finding the info that I am looking for, so I was hoping someone has one and can help me with some answers.

First off, for the data record feature, does the module have to be on the car while it is running or is it pulling data from the ESC after the fact? What data recording can I get with the Justock and a Trinity X Factor 25.5? What about if I switch to the XR10 Pro Stock Spec?

Are there more settings available with the Wifi Express then there are with the two previous programming boxes, or are the setting limited by the ESC itself?

I currently have two Justock ESCs and am in need of a third ESC. I am trying to decide if there is any great advantage to getting the Wifi Express module if all I have is the Justock ESCs? Is the Wifi Express more useful if I get a XR10 Pro Stock Spec?

Thanks for any info!
Old 03-27-2019, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know what the problem is with Hobbywing customer service / tech support, but it had to be one of the first I've ever dealt with. So far, I've had two problems with my ESC, which I believe might be related. The first problem was that the app wouldn't connect to the ESC / WiFi Module. At that point in time, I believed the problem was with the Wifi, although, now, I'm certain the problem was the ESC (which I'll explain shortly).

Starting 1.5 weeks ago, I called shortly after starting hours, and, not reaching a live person, I left a voicemail. I tried again sporadically throughout the morning, never reaching a live person, always reaching the voicemail (I chose not to leave additional voicemails, as I figured someone would call...although, in the end, no one ever called). In the mid-afternoon, I finally reached a live person (unffortunately, I no longer remember his name), but the experience was anything but "good", as I was constantly interrupted. When I mentioned having tried multiple times, all he said was, "That's strange, as I've been here all day."

Several "troubleshooting" directions were eventually given to resolve the problem. I attempted the connection again several times that evening, and again in the morning, all of which resulted in failures. This time, in calling, I reached a live person...the same person...on the second try. Since everything had failed, he said if need to have an RMA created, and return the WiFi Module to them to be evaluated...although, shortly before hanging up, he did finally suggest I try connecting the WiFi Module to a different ESC. While I didn't have any other Hobbywing ESCs installed in any vehicles, I did happen to have a sealed-box XR8 Plus. In connecting the WiFi Module to the XR8 Plus, and then a battery to the XR8 Plus, the app, WiFi Module, and ESC connected properly the very first time...so, I disconnected the WiFi Module from the XR8 Plus, and connected it back to the XR10 Pro Spec, and it worked perfectly. Obviously, there was nothing wrong with the WiFi Module, thus an RMA wouldn't be needed.

Moving forward to a few days ago, I posted everything up, purely for adjusting the steering turnbuckles, and nothing else, all of which took less than an hour, and during which time I ran into no problems whatsoever. Today, I took the vehicle to the track for the first time, for tuning. Yes, the vehicle flipped over a few times (the track was completely reshaped a few weeks ago, into a more technical team, and it was my first time driving the new track), but it was never crashed. About 30 minutes into the tuning session, the vehicle lost propulsion. Pulling the buggy off the track, I checked it. The receiver & transponder were both receiving per, as the LEDs were still operational, and the steering was still functionalf...only the ESC's LED & motor were non-operational. Checking all connections, everything was good. I held the power button, and the vehicle turned off, then I pressed it again, and everything powered back up...and propulsion was operational again.I

I put the vehicle back on the track, and everything was running just fine...for about two minutes, and then the same thing happened. Thinking, maybe it was the battery (even though the vehicle never slowed to half-speed, nor did the"low voltage" warning ever kick in), I swapped it for a different, and freshly-charged, battery (I had just charged it 2hrs earlier), and checked everything before placing it back on the track. About 15 seconds later, the same thing happened (in this case, "third time" was NOT a "charm"...quite the opposite).

As with the two previous times, steering was still working, and the transponder & receiver LEDs were lit, but the motor wasn't receiving any power, and the LED on the ESC wasn't on. But, unlike the previous two times, turning the vehicle off, and then back on, didn't do anything...at least in regards to the ESC - the transponder & receiver LEDs still lit up, but the ESC LED didn't. Even worse, unlike previous occurrences, where holding the power button would turn everything off (and then pressing it again would "power up"), holding the power button this time did nothing. I had to unplug one battery lead (I chose 'negative') to "power down" the vehicle. After plugging the negative lead back in, and pressing the power button, the receiver & transponder LEDs lit up, but, again, no working LED on the ESC...and, again, the only way to power down the vehicle was to disconnect a battery lead.

At this point, I am 100% convinced that the problem, from the beginning, has been the ESC, and never the WiFi Module. Since early this afternoon, I've been trying to reach text support...and, once again, I left a voicemail on the first try, and with all subsequent attempts, I still haven't spoken to anyone. Even worse, and making very skeptical that Hobbywing understand what "customer service" means, on a few of those attempts, it appeared as if someone DID answer, but then promptly hung up in me, with the person not even bothering to say anything. Although Tekin products cost considerably more, at least they have EXCELLENT Charmaine service & tech support.

So, Hobbywing, what do you have to say to this disaster of so-called "customer service / tech support"...or, should I say, the complete lack thereof ???
Old 03-27-2019, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Do you have a program box? What is your thermal protection set to?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tetter74 View Post
I just got a max 8 combo and it was awesome for the first run. Then I went to go again and the esc went poof. I'm very upset about this
what were you running it in, what kv motor and what battery size (3S,4S)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service