Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree192Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 09-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 241 (100%+)

Need some help fellas. Used the search function and went thru all the fix scenarios and nothing is working.

Got a new XR8 sct pro & a new mutifunction program card. Should have just bought another original sct pro but that's another story. Hooked the program card to the esc and get the "please upgrade software" message. Program card has PB-3.2.22 firmware on it. Downloaded the newest link software and can't get it to recognize my program card. Won't update the database either. Been searching this forum all afternoon trying different things and nothing is working. Anybody got the secret?

UPDATE: Angelo suggested a new usb cable and that fixed it

Last edited by nitro_mt_racer; 09-18-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by fasteddie1
I have XR8 SCT and 4300KV combo which does not run on sensored mode. I have tried numerous cables with no luck. In addition, the fan is intermittent most of the time. When it is on, sometimes it will be so loud it seems like it will explode. Other times it is running smooth and quiet. Other times it will not run at all. I have tried another fan with the same results. This is my first HW purchase and would like to know if the way the fan operates is normal?
Are you running on 2S or 3S?
Do you have a programming card to verify that sensored mode is enabled?
Also curious... How do you know that it's not running in sensored mode?

Originally Posted by nitro_mt_racer
Need some help fellas. Used the search function and went thru all the fix scenarios and nothing is working.

Got a new XR8 sct pro & a new mutifunction program card. Should have just bought another original sct pro but that's another story. Hooked the program card to the esc and get the "please upgrade software" message. Program card has PB-3.2.22 firmware on it. Downloaded the newest link software and can't get it to recognize my program card. Won't update the database either. Been searching this forum all afternoon trying different things and nothing is working. Anybody got the secret?
Yeah I ran into problems getting my XR8 to pick up my older program cards only to learn they weren't forward compatible... you might want to double check if the card you bought specifically says whether it's compatible with the XR8.

What worked for me was one of these USB adapters and I got both the XR8's to program just fine in my Buggy and Truggy after installing the programming software on my PC:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/usb-prog...___store=en_us
Old 09-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

I bought the newest program card knowing my card for the original sct pro wouldn't work. Angelo responded almost immediately to my email and suggested I try a new usb cable. I falsely assumed that if the cable powered up the card that it was working. Switched to a different cable and it works like it should.....smh.
billdelong likes this.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nitro_mt_racer
I bought the newest program card knowing my card for the original sct pro wouldn't work. Angelo responded almost immediately to my email and suggested I try a new usb cable. I falsely assumed that if the cable powered up the card that it was working. Switched to a different cable and it works like it should.....smh.
wow, that's concerning... any key differences between USB cables worth noting?

FWIW... I have noticed that some USB cables lose connectivity over time and need to be replaced when charging my cell phones... I have to wonder if this might be a similar scenario with an aged USB cable?
Old 09-19-2017, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by billdelong
wow, that's concerning... any key differences between USB cables worth noting?

FWIW... I have noticed that some USB cables lose connectivity over time and need to be replaced when charging my cell phones... I have to wonder if this might be a similar scenario with an aged USB cable?
I used the brand new one supplied with the card to get started and ultimately it was bad. I then used a brand new one that was supplied with a cell phone sometime in the last 6 years....lol. Looking at the cords nothing looked different.
billdelong likes this.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I see your problem now that you posted a picture.....get rid of the Deans connector. They get loose and heat up....
Old 09-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
I see your problem now that you posted a picture.....get rid of the Deans connector. They get loose and heat up....
only problem with this theory is that I had the same negative post become unsoldered on 5mm bullets, though I was using 4mm reducers which started showing signs of wear after a year of use... problem went away after replacing with a fresh LiPo with Deans style connectors.

I'm leaning more towards the theory of over gearing and will see how that pans out... I've used these same Deans style connectors for many years on my GT8 cars running 6S and continue using these same connectors on my 1/8 buggy and truggy without any problems with the connectors on 4S.

I think it would be a lot easier if ROAR would eliminate the 2S battery restriction for 4WD SC
Old 09-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Fresh lipo, deans connector and wiring. Pretty confident you had an issue with the old wiring.

If you were overgeared I'd think your motor temps would be higher.

Your truck isn't ROAR legal anyway. Local track won't let you run a 3s? Not sure it would really matter if you're only running 70% epa
Old 09-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

I've ran 3S in the past with 70% EPA and that worked really well at other tracks, but the current track I'm racing at is restricting to 2S per ROAR rules... I haven't specifically looked at the ROAR rules other than it being limited to 2S... mostly because it's open mod... what other restrictions am I missing that prevent my truck from being ROAR legal?
Old 09-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

There are no 550 4 pole motors on the ROAR legal list
Old 09-19-2017, 12:36 PM
Tech Champion

Ah, I see... perhaps that's why it's pulling too much current, ha!

I guess I jumped on the bandwagon and bought the same motor that everyone else (locally) was running at the time, not realizing the motor wasn't ROAR legal, I guess that's probably why I've been seeing more folks lately that are starting to switch to the HobbyWing 4000kV motor, but apparently that motor isn't ROAR approved either... I see it's a 4 Pole too... funny how selective the ROAR rules can be:
http://www.roarracing.com/approvals/...lessmotors.php

Now that I think about it... there were some blatant ROAR violations during the Nats this year where those rules weren't enforced after a driver threw his radio in a tizzy fit.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Never raced a ROAR event and don't plan to. We run the 4300kv motor in our Pro4 trucks and don't have any issues running 120% epa but we run on dirt not turf.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

The only ROAR sanctioned events I've raced has been when our local club hosts a regional or occasional national event... for 4WD SC they're only interested in 2S cell counts, and then on the 1/10 track they simply check the stock classes for weight and blinky for the regional races. I do recall one year when Ryan Lutz got DQ'd for being 15g under weight with his truggy at our local track for the ROAR Nats and that really sucked: https://www.facebook.com/LiveRC/posts/1067432366647766
Old 09-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

They should be checking pack voltage for stock classes. Always amazes me how they find the most insignificant things but overlook the obvious.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Tech Champion

I agree, they've threatened to check voltages locally, but only if someone complains... this past weekend, there was one guy who got called out and he got really defensive over it, not really sure if anyone checked his voltage or not, but now I'm starting to see why most pro drivers enjoy running mod just to get away from the drama. I did hear of a racer at a club north from me that was banned from his club for over volting his packs... just sucks for everyone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.