Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree194Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 02-07-2016, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm considering buying the 1/8 esc but I don't have a local track guy to reference for durability. Are these things made to last?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitroflash_2
I'm considering buying the 1/8 esc but I don't have a local track guy to reference for durability. Are these things made to last?
Oh certainly they are...... these are the best and most dependable speed controls I have ever used, they are inexpensive too! I have converted several racers over from other brands. Try one .......I think you will be very happy,plus you will have lots of support here if you need it. Definitely get a program box with what ever you get so you can keep it adjusted to your liking and keep it updated.
Paul
Old 02-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
well my maiden voyage with the V3.1 Stock Spec didn't go as planned.

Ran it in practice for about 3 laps and then all of a sudden it just stopped. I had steering, no throttle response.

ESC was on, but no response from the motor. I pulled the sensor wire and the motor started to respond. Okay, ,I figure maybe something in the motor or the sensor wire decided to go so I swapped the sensor wire, still no go, it would kind of work then just stop. sensoreless again fine.

Took out the motor and put a known working one in.

No go, same thing.

Tried another sensor wire, nothing.

So I have an Esc now with a dead sensor port I am assuming. I do have a motor checker so I am going to check the motors for functionality but I doubt 2 motors and 3 sensor wires would all be bad. Plus, I have a V2.1 ESC here that I'll wire up again and confirm with those motors.

Anyway, how fast is HW turn around time?

missed running a class, but at least I had other vehicles.

Also, the HW 30A or 35A ESC that comes with the Tacon Soar style vehicles, for some reason my reverse went away. I can see its set for reverse, just working. Any ideas?
I would shoot an email to the addresses Ron listed on page 680.

Do you happen to have the Program box? I was going to suggest hooking it up and doing a "reset to default" on the ESC.

What type of battery and motor are you running (if you don't mind me asking)?
Old 02-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flamingtire
I would shoot an email to the addresses Ron listed on page 680.

Do you happen to have the Program box? I was going to suggest hooking it up and doing a "reset to default" on the ESC.

What type of battery and motor are you running (if you don't mind me asking)?

thanks. I got my RMA in so we'll see how it goes.

I do have the program box so I'll give you suggestion a look.

I was running the following when it died:

- Promatch 4600 100C shorty lipo
- Viper 17.5T VST Motor
Old 02-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Oh certainly they are...... these are the best and most dependable speed controls I have ever used, they are inexpensive too! I have converted several racers over from other brands. Try one .......I think you will be very happy,plus you will have lots of support here if you need it. Definitely get a program box with what ever you get so you can keep it adjusted to your liking and keep it updated.
Paul
Thanks for the input. I'm new to electric so I'm sure I will have more questions.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've got one of the new XR8 plus ESC's in my MBX7R Eco and I'm having some trouble with the throttle intermittently cutting out. Basically anytime I crash (big or small) the throttle goes dead for a second like where I can pull full throttle with no response. Anyone experienced anything like this? I've had this issue with the ESC since new and it maybe has 20 packs total on it now.
It's paired up to a SMC 1900kv motor; Already changed the sensor wire thinking it was that but no change. Any help would be much appreciated
Old 02-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

thanks. I got my RMA in so we'll see how it goes.

I do have the program box so I'll give you suggestion a look.

I was running the following when it died:

- Promatch 4600 100C shorty lipo
- Viper 17.5T VST Motor
Great. Be sure to let us know what the issue was. That way we can help others in the future.

Motor and battery shouldn't be the issue, I just wanted to make sure you had quality stuff for a quality ESC
Old 02-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JJG690
I've got one of the new XR8 plus ESC's in my MBX7R Eco and I'm having some trouble with the throttle intermittently cutting out. Basically anytime I crash (big or small) the throttle goes dead for a second like where I can pull full throttle with no response. Anyone experienced anything like this? I've had this issue with the ESC since new and it maybe has 20 packs total on it now.
It's paired up to a SMC 1900kv motor; Already changed the sensor wire thinking it was that but no change. Any help would be much appreciated
Sounds like the unit is turning off when you crash. I would Triple check that your battery plugs are all Tight! If they get loose they can cause this problem.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by flamingtire
Great. Be sure to let us know what the issue was. That way we can help others in the future.

Motor and battery shouldn't be the issue, I just wanted to make sure you had quality stuff for a quality ESC
will do. regardless if the reset works, I will be sending in the esc as it shouldn't have to rely on that to get past the issue. would hate to have that happen again down the road do to something not right in the esc.

Anyone know how long turnaround usually is?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Sounds like the unit is turning off when you crash. I would Triple check that your battery plugs are all Tight! If they get loose they can cause this problem.
I've already eliminated the possibility of that problem as well, going so far as zip-tying my deans connector together even though it fits very tight already.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just started running 13.5 super stock 4wd buggy and was able to load the 508 software for blinky. Is there anyway to change it back to run timing when I have to run with mod 4wd buggies with out having to use a computer or laptop when I'm at the track? Most times i have to run with mod, but I never know until I'm at the track if there will be enough for 13.5 that week.

Edit: v2.1 esc

Last edited by MidThrust; 02-09-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:54 AM
Tech Addict

Anyone still using the v2.1 esc?
I'm on my second one and noticed my old one and this one would sometimes suddenly stop while off throttle when coming to a near stop, as in abruptly. There's 10% drag brake but my two previous non HW Esc's never did this. Also updated to the latest firmware.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Tech Legend

I'll be giving it a look see today, then its off to the post office tomorrow morning. Hopefully quick turn around.

Originally Posted by MidThrust
I just started running 13.5 super stock 4wd buggy and was able to load the 508 software for blinky. Is there anyway to change it back to run timing when I have to run with mod 4wd buggies with out having to use a computer or laptop when I'm at the track? Most times i have to run with mod, but I never know until I'm at the track if there will be enough for 13.5 that week.
what ESC? I keep hearing guys saying loading the 508 software but is this for the V3.1 Stock or this is for the V2.1s, etc?

Originally Posted by Djchow85
Anyone still using the v2.1 esc?
I'm on my second one and noticed my old one and this one would sometimes suddenly stop while off throttle when coming to a near stop, as in abruptly. There's 10% drag brake but my two previous non HW Esc's never did this. Also updated to the latest firmware.

I got one here I'll be using since the V3.1 stocker took a powder. My impression would be to confirm settings between the previous esc's and these and maybe then try no drag brake.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Would running 5% more drag brake (from 10 to 15%) cause more heat in the ESC? Mid run in the main, the 3.1 without fan in my 2wd buggy, just died. After the main was over, went over to look at ESC led status and was just flashing single red, which is not an over-heat. Hooked up the program box and looked at the max recorded temp and it was 92 degrees (have cut-off set at 85). Of course, this is internal temp, which is different than what i would normally read with a temp gun.

Should I up it to 105 cut-off? Previous 2 heats ran same setup without issue.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

I'll be giving it a look see today, then its off to the post office tomorrow morning. Hopefully quick turn around.

what ESC? I keep hearing guys saying loading the 508 software but is this for the V3.1 Stock or this is for the V2.1s, etc?

I got one here I'll be using since the V3.1 stocker took a powder. My impression would be to confirm settings between the previous esc's and these and maybe then try no drag brake.
I'll try the previous firmware versions.. I think possibly the latest firmware I changed with the v2.1 started giving me issues which is a shame because it's been my favourite ESC amongst the HK 120x-car, toro 160a, HK gen2.

I'll be quite saddened as this is my 3rd ESC (new) in 3 months.

I hope not to try NO drag as I'm running a tight indoor track and my skills are average at best...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.