Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree193Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 07-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Tech Rookie

My WP-SC8 just let smoke out today, four packs through it since purchase let me know whom to contact about sending it in. thx-

nvm, saw the new email addy and sent one off. Cheers!

Last edited by madbuggy; 07-11-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

has anyone had any issues with the Ezrun SC8 ESC fan/program port not having power? Not only is my fan not working but when i hook up the 3 in 1 program box its blank like its not getting power i can't connect to the ESC to change settings. If i plug a external battery into the 3 in 1 programmer it come on and will go through normal procedures when i push connect it says connecting to ESC and just stay on that screen. Next i tried field program card with same result won't come on like no power. I plugged a external battery in and i was finally able to use the field card to adjust the timing and punch like i wanted to. So it seems i have a output issue with that plug in. The only thing i've done to that SC8 in the last couple weeks was replace the switch with a new one. So for temporary my RX is close enough to my ESC that i was able to plug my fan in there so my ESC doesnt over heat. Anyone have any inputs or similar experience?
Old 07-12-2015, 12:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madbuggy
My WP-SC8 just let smoke out today, four packs through it since purchase let me know whom to contact about sending it in. thx-

nvm, saw the new email addy and sent one off. Cheers!
Here where you need to go to get a RMA#

http://www.falconsekido.com/pages/support
Old 07-12-2015, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockin G
Looking for a replacement USB link for my program box. Anyone know if any of the cell phone usb charge cords will work? If so, which brand? Thanks in advance.
Forget about brands, USB is standardized. Just get any type A to mini-B (verify: mini, not micro!) USB cable, and you should be fine. Modern cell phones (i.e. smart phones) usually have micro-B, so their cables probably won't work. But other devices, like digital cameras, tablets (basically anything a little thicker than a phone) may use a mini-B cable.

For reference on the different plugs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#/m...connectors.JPG

Last edited by DirkW; 07-12-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

I have two issues:

1.) I had originally bought the Xerun 3.1 120A to use in my SCT with a 4-pole motor - now I've read in this thread, that while it's not impossible, it is not recommended (luckily I still only got a 550 2-pole so far). So instead the SCT Pro should be used for 4-pole installations now - but I seem to be unable to find the SCT Pro offered anywhere over here (all other HW ESCs are available, the SCT Pro is not even listed in RC shops at all - so it's apparently not just out of stock.) I am not too keen on ordering from overseas (warranty, service issues, customs, you name it), so any idea why just that line of ESCs has virtually disappeared in Europe?

Will the new XR8 Plus work (I mean really work, not just on paper, like the 150A) with 2S? And 4 pole motors? Or do I need to run the risk and order an SCT Pro from god-knows-where, with no customer service?

2.) Fans. My Xerun V3.1 120A seems to kill them somehow. I didn't realize the first fan didn't run (wasn't sure if it was supposed to run permanently or if it was temperature controlled) on my first tests with the new truck. Just the truck stopped suddenly (steering was ok) and the ESC was quite hot to the touch. Battery was still at about 4V, nevertheless, I reduced LVC, but no gain.

Ok, so fan #2 (was luckily already provided in the box - as if HW already knew that these fans tend to crap out easily) put on, spun up with that loud turbine like noise... much better! Until I recalibrated the transmitter to the ESC - right after that (the whole system kinda jerked through each step), all of a sudden the fan got much slower and quieter. Didn't drive the truck then though, just switched it off for the day. Next day, Battery fully charged, ready to run... fan still slow on powering up... and on the first touch of the throttle (just a little, not full throttle, and with wheels still in the air)... poof, little cloud of smoke. Fan #2 gone. Seriously?

Luckily I still had one 25mm fan around (same size, voltage and plug, from ORCA) and with that, I was finally able to drive my first battery down to LVC (after 4 or 5 attempts that were cut short by thermaling). Oh and by the way, LVC seems to be almost spot on with the newest firmware, so I turned it back up again - don't want to kill my Lipos...

I don't know if the 3rd fan will prove to be just better, or if my speedo will kill that one as well, if I have to recalibrate again... also not eager to find out.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DirkW
I have two issues:

1.) I had originally bought the Xerun 3.1 120A to use in my SCT with a 4-pole motor - now I've read in this thread, that while it's not impossible, it is not recommended (luckily I still only got a 550 2-pole so far). So instead the SCT Pro should be used for 4-pole installations now - but I seem to be unable to find the SCT Pro offered anywhere over here (all other HW ESCs are available, the SCT Pro is not even listed in RC shops at all - so it's apparently not just out of stock.) I am not too keen on ordering from overseas (warranty, service issues, customs, you name it), so any idea why just that line of ESCs has virtually disappeared in Europe?

Will the new XR8 Plus work (I mean really work, not just on paper, like the 150A) with 2S? And 4 pole motors? Or do I need to run the risk and order an SCT Pro from god-knows-where, with no customer service?

2.) Fans. My Xerun V3.1 120A seems to kill them somehow. I didn't realize the first fan didn't run (wasn't sure if it was supposed to run permanently or if it was temperature controlled) on my first tests with the new truck. Just the truck stopped suddenly (steering was ok) and the ESC was quite hot to the touch. Battery was still at about 4V, nevertheless, I reduced LVC, but no gain.

Ok, so fan #2 (was luckily already provided in the box - as if HW already knew that these fans tend to crap out easily) put on, spun up with that loud turbine like noise... much better! Until I recalibrated the transmitter to the ESC - right after that (the whole system kinda jerked through each step), all of a sudden the fan got much slower and quieter. Didn't drive the truck then though, just switched it off for the day. Next day, Battery fully charged, ready to run... fan still slow on powering up... and on the first touch of the throttle (just a little, not full throttle, and with wheels still in the air)... poof, little cloud of smoke. Fan #2 gone. Seriously?

Luckily I still had one 25mm fan around (same size, voltage and plug, from ORCA) and with that, I was finally able to drive my first battery down to LVC (after 4 or 5 attempts that were cut short by thermaling). Oh and by the way, LVC seems to be almost spot on with the newest firmware, so I turned it back up again - don't want to kill my Lipos...

I don't know if the 3rd fan will prove to be just better, or if my speedo will kill that one as well, if I have to recalibrate again... also not eager to find out.
1. http://www.falconsekido.com/products...t-pro-esc-blue
available here.

2. I am not sure why you had issues with these. Might be a bad fan port on the esc which is not common. I currently use a fan that plugs into the programming pot instead of the little white port and have had zero issues. Send an rma to Falcon for those fans in the mean time
Old 07-12-2015, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

I want to make sure the Stock Spec can reverse the motor?
Blake
Old 07-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Carter Flotron
1. http://www.falconsekido.com/products...t-pro-esc-blue
available here.

2. I am not sure why you had issues with these. Might be a bad fan port on the esc which is not common. I currently use a fan that plugs into the programming pot instead of the little white port and have had zero issues. Send an rma to Falcon for those fans in the mean time
You do realize that I'm in Germany, don't you? Falcon Sekido is Hobbywing North America, not Europe. And a quote from their website: "[...]we do not ship internationally [...]"
So, not an option, I'm afraid. Besides, shipping alone costs probably more than buying new fans, so that would only leave the ESC...
But like I said: I'm not really a big fan of shopping overseas. Or let's say my willingness has its limits. Sometimes I make exceptions and buy stuff from Hong Kong for example, when the deal is too good to ignore (like when prices there are about half of what I'd have to pay here - including shipping(!!!)) - then yes, sometimes I do run the risk of getting something that doesn't work (just happened once so far). But that's also why I keep it to rather simple and not too expensive stuff (servos, motors), but for the stuff I'd like to have service for, in case of problems, I pay the extra Euros and buy here (ESC, transmitter, etc.).
Old 07-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

You do realize that I'm in Germany, don't you? Falcon Sekido is Hobbywing North America, not Europe. And a quote from their website: "[...]we do not ship internationally [...]"
So, not an option, I'm afraid. Besides, shipping alone costs probably more than buying new fans, so that would only leave the ESC...
But like I said: I'm not really a big fan of shopping overseas. Or let's say my willingness has its limits. Sometimes I make exceptions and buy stuff from Hong Kong for example, when the deal is too good to ignore (like when prices there are about half of what I'd have to pay here - including shipping(!!!)) - then yes, sometimes I do run the risk of getting something that doesn't work (just happened once so far). But that's also why I keep it to rather simple and not too expensive stuff (servos, motors), but for the stuff I'd like to have service for, in case of problems, I pay the extra Euros and buy here (ESC, transmitter, etc.).
Sorry! I did not see that.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by NvDesertRat96
has anyone had any issues with the Ezrun SC8 ESC fan/program port not having power? Not only is my fan not working but when i hook up the 3 in 1 program box its blank like its not getting power i can't connect to the ESC to change settings. If i plug a external battery into the 3 in 1 programmer it come on and will go through normal procedures when i push connect it says connecting to ESC and just stay on that screen. Next i tried field program card with same result won't come on like no power. I plugged a external battery in and i was finally able to use the field card to adjust the timing and punch like i wanted to. So it seems i have a output issue with that plug in. The only thing i've done to that SC8 in the last couple weeks was replace the switch with a new one. So for temporary my RX is close enough to my ESC that i was able to plug my fan in there so my ESC doesnt over heat. Anyone have any inputs or similar experience?

Hi, get your problem solved or not? I've never experienced this kind of issue before, but I think there must be something wrong with the FAN/PRG port of your ESC. I recommend contacting the seller for replacement or repair immediately. Hope it helps, have a nice day!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:42 AM
Tech Rookie

I have two issues:

Hi, how many LiPo cells you have plugged in? I mean when you ran your XERUN V3.1 120A. (This ESC is intended for 2S/3S operation.) If 3S, then it might damage your fan. Because the fan is directly powered by the battery, while the stock fan cannot stand the voltage of over 8.4V.

Well, if it’s a 2S, then your ESC might be broken. I suggest checking if the input capacitors are damaged. If yes, then please try to replace those capacitors with similar ones yourself. If no, then there must be something wrong with your ESC. In that case, please contact HOBBYWING’s distributor in Germany for replacement or repair. Hope it helps, have a nice day!

In addition, the new XR8 PLUS will really work with 2S and 4 pole motors.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

Hoping someone can help me out here. Got my WP SC8 in but having a hard time with the set-up. 1st off the endpoint cal instructions talk about a Futaba radio..I'm using a TQi..they tell you set the channel to rev? Then disable ABS and set EPA/ATV to 100%..I actually could do that using my blutooth(not ABS) but this thing still won't calibrate. It tells you to turn it on while holding the set button, go to nuetral then click set and it blink green once...never happens. Do I need to do other set-up 1st?

Which brings on more questions,,,,,the instructions that came with the esc say the receiver wires cannot be used to program using the program card, only the port between the motor wires can be used. However the instructions that came with the program card say..when using an esc with a built in BEC, disconnect the RX wires and plug them into the program box....?????? Anyone out there can help me get this up and running...right now all that happens is the fan comes on and the red led blinks. Steering servo works..lol
Old 07-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Anyone had an issue with the "B" wire coming unsoldered on a 3656 4000kv? Drivetrain is free, the 4000kv is 2 races old. Gearing is right were everyone else is running. Could it be the Speedo???
Old 07-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon Powell
Anyone had an issue with the "B" wire coming unsoldered on a 3656 4000kv? Drivetrain is free, the 4000kv is 2 races old. Gearing is right were everyone else is running. Could it be the Speedo???
BP- sorry i didnt see you at bring the heat (daughters bday)i have 2 sct pro's and a 150 pro never had any come unsoldered buddy ....cold joint ?
Old 07-15-2015, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Brandon Powell
Are you using bullets? Check any connections to see if they are lose, especially at the battery, this is a common symptom of a lose bullet. If so it's time to replace.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.