Search
Like Tree192Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lewis110
With the SCT Pro your stuck with the original firmware. There are no boost/turbo firmware like the 930 stock.

You can run the 120 amp 2.1 esc in an offroad platform. It actually has a little smaller footprint then the SCT pro. The SCT pro is more vibration resistant. I'm not sure if anyone is running updated firmware. I don't know how well the 4 pole motors would hold up to all the extra timing. I run the hobbywing 4000kv sensored motor and in my opinion it has more them enough get up and go without all the extra timing. I've heard the 4700kv motor is real crazy fast.
I actualy run the 1s version in my durango desc410R with the 4k 4 pole. I run 10 degrees of boost timing starting at 9k rpm. It works beauty. I have been talking to my contact at hw regarding getting the sct pro to beable to upgrade to the new firmwear. I will let you know how that goes.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Tech Addict

Will the Gens Ace 7000mAh 50C be good enough to power the HW 3656SD 4700Kv ?

Edit - nevermind, got reply from COBRARACING it should be fine. Cheers !
Old 09-07-2012, 04:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Little help.....I just put the 150amp Hobbywing XERUN esc in my Emaxx. It's replacing the Castle MMM which fried, so the XERUN is connected to the 2200 castle motor it came with. Receiver is a Futaba FASST unit and TX is a Futaba 4PKS.

Set it all up, got the steering mix setup which I thought was quite bright of me, given what it took to find the damn thing. All seemed good. Had it connected before installing back in the car, all seemed fine.

Rather stupidly, I put the pinion back in when I went to test it, this turned out to be a big mistake, as for whatever reason, when I went to give it a little accelerator, the damn thing went to flat out and stuck there. I basically had to dive on it and stop it from bouncing around in the garage and destroying 2 cars parked either side of me. My 4PKS copped some damage in the process too, basically a lot of scuffing where the Big Joes were spinning into the soft rubber / plastics on the radio.

Managed to get it all stopped but now I am really weary of turning it on. I only have 6S to test this thing to you can imagine....2200kv + 6S, if this thing runs away, I ain't catching up to it, even when I dived on it it managed to do some pretty gnarly burns up my arms from the tires spinning.

Any idea what happen? The radio was bound to the receiver, I calibrated the steering and throttle to the ESC but clearly something is off......
Old 09-07-2012, 04:09 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Take of the pinion, to begin with

I think the calibration process somewhere went wrong.
Try again, and if it goes wrong again, set throttle on your transmitter on "reverse", and calibrate again.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by M7H
Take of the pinion, to begin with

I think the calibration process somewhere went wrong.
Try again, and if it goes wrong again, set throttle on your transmitter on "reverse", and calibrate again.
Yeh after that episode I did. It was stupid of me, I usually do, thing is I had it layed out on the bench in front of me and tested it and all seemed fine so I figured it was all good. As they say, assumptions are the mother of all **** ups.

Anyway, I think I know what the problem is and it wasn't that the throttle stuck open, but more that it 'seemed' too. I think I need to calibrate the ESC reverse the motor operation. I tested it all again without the pinion in after another calibration, no problems with it sticking open. Then I took it outside to test it this time. I noticed forward and reverse were opposite of what they should be, so when I reversed it on the radio, it went the correct way however as power was down for reverse, it wasn't driving the way it should (power forward, half power reverse).

What I think happen is when I was testing it, it went forward half a foot and I thought ok. Then when I pressed reverse, my finger not having quite as much control pushing forward, nor as much trigger travel, it basically burst into life as though I would normally have pressed forward and had full power; so basically it went into mongrel mode in reverse, caught me off guard and in my panic (I was holding it but now it was basically trying to jump out of my hand) I was trying to hold the radio out of the way and still holding reverse giving it near full juice so it seemed like the throttle was stuck when it wasn't because when I was able to put the radio down it did stop. At that point I frantically started trying to disconnect the batteries. After that I found I had scuffed the radio (only minor cosmetic damage but I am anal about that stuff so really disappointed) and had to pick up the skin the big joe tyres had ripped from my arm.

I also realised how little I know about my 4pks when I went to setup this receiver with ch3 mixing mode for dual servos so I think I should look into reading more on that while I am at it.

Also of note, this maybe subjective as I still haven't got it running correctly but when I had it in the backyard (driving using reverse to go forward :/) it seems to have huge amounts of power, I don't remember it being this much of an animal.....when I get it fully running I am keen to see what difference it makes, because this 150amp pro v2 hobbywing ESC is absolutely massive, it's nearly twice the size of the Castle MMM.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:15 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Well, a good lesson learned then, sometimes this is the best way to learn it, by trial and (painfull) error....

In learning to set-up the mix function from your Tx, I think it's best to use servo's, and connect them to your receiver with a Rx battery, and not your ESC connected.
That's the way I learned all the settings available from my TX, (servo speed, ABS, Traction control) with servo's attached you can see what happens, with an ESC you can't....
Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

That's a good idea actually, unfortunately I don't have spares laying around......but when I build another vehicle I will definitely do that.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Have any of you ran the 120a SCT Pro in an 1/8 scale buggy on 4s?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Suteki
Yeh after that episode I did. It was stupid of me, I usually do, thing is I had it layed out on the bench in front of me and tested it and all seemed fine so I figured it was all good. As they say, assumptions are the mother of all **** ups.

Anyway, I think I know what the problem is and it wasn't that the throttle stuck open, but more that it 'seemed' too. I think I need to calibrate the ESC reverse the motor operation. I tested it all again without the pinion in after another calibration, no problems with it sticking open. Then I took it outside to test it this time. I noticed forward and reverse were opposite of what they should be, so when I reversed it on the radio, it went the correct way however as power was down for reverse, it wasn't driving the way it should (power forward, half power reverse).

What I think happen is when I was testing it, it went forward half a foot and I thought ok. Then when I pressed reverse, my finger not having quite as much control pushing forward, nor as much trigger travel, it basically burst into life as though I would normally have pressed forward and had full power; so basically it went into mongrel mode in reverse, caught me off guard and in my panic (I was holding it but now it was basically trying to jump out of my hand) I was trying to hold the radio out of the way and still holding reverse giving it near full juice so it seemed like the throttle was stuck when it wasn't because when I was able to put the radio down it did stop. At that point I frantically started trying to disconnect the batteries. After that I found I had scuffed the radio (only minor cosmetic damage but I am anal about that stuff so really disappointed) and had to pick up the skin the big joe tyres had ripped from my arm.

I also realised how little I know about my 4pks when I went to setup this receiver with ch3 mixing mode for dual servos so I think I should look into reading more on that while I am at it.

Also of note, this maybe subjective as I still haven't got it running correctly but when I had it in the backyard (driving using reverse to go forward :/) it seems to have huge amounts of power, I don't remember it being this much of an animal.....when I get it fully running I am keen to see what difference it makes, because this 150amp pro v2 hobbywing ESC is absolutely massive, it's nearly twice the size of the Castle MMM.
Your reverse might not have enough power or fast enough becuz of the settings in the ESC...my SCT Pro has reverse set to 25 or 50% stock setting which is fine since i dont need to go 40mph backwards so if you have a programmer check the settings and see what its at
Old 09-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Reversed the motor orientation this morning, tested it without pinion, all good. Had a little drive back and forth around the backyard; good results.

Dunno whether it's the Hobbywing ESC or the fact I put my futaba receiver in and used my 4PKS but acceleration is definitely more linear. The Hobbywing ESC definitely cogs far less than the Castle MMM. So pretty happy so far, Emaxx lives once more. Now to take it down to the track to 'sweep' the top layer of small rocks and pebbles off.....
Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MOmo
I show 1.11_120331_V3 in my Digi box.

The ONLY other version that comes thru. on the Software is 1.08_120504

Anyone know how to find the older software? I want to try and re-install a previous version. I tried looking on HW site, http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=246

How can I find the previous software editions?

MOmo
Thoughts?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MOmo
Thoughts?
What exactly are you looking for in the older version software?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have the newest version, 1.62 and 1.64. Is that one of the ones your looking for? I'm sure we can find someway to send it.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcboy1
What exactly are you looking for in the older version software?

Just a list, I have 2 digi program boxes. I was thinking the one that already has the modded software, I would figure a way to swap the box over to SpeedPassion. The other has 1.07.

MOmo
Old 09-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys,

Looking for a new ESC possibly. Will the HW V3 work with a 4pole motor in a Asc SC10 4X4 SCT?

Also, will Falcon Sekido warranty or repair ESC's if there is a problem later on?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.