Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree193Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you both for you responses.

It may help if you know what I am looking for in a kit. I am looking for budget, durability, able to handle splashes and such and a reliable class for when I want to race. While I have looked at other kits they are all either out of stock or not out yet so I find my self looking at the TA RC8.2e or a duratrax with a giant overhaul.

A lot of my questions stem from a lack of understand how the electric motors work and how to decide what I need. For instance how many poles should my motor have, how much current should the ESC be able to handle, how much current should my batteries put out, why is a motor with a sensor better, how many kvl does the motor need, and how do I know how to gear it (and where the heck do I place the gears lol)?

In short I just want to make sure I get a motor with enough punch and speed that won't fry when its humid and that can handle my batteries well. So for the TA RC8.2e what would you suggest?
Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

I actually run the rc8.2e now. I pulled the stock setup out and changed all the electronics over the course of a few weeks from receiving the brand new rtr buggy. I put a 6 pole Tenshock x812 1900kv in mine. I went with the HW 150A blue esc. Like FastPete and a few others mentioned, the 150A is quite large. I had to cut a bit on the esc tray area to get it to fit. If you run it with the sensor cable, be sure to mount it so that the sensor port is facing aft for cleanence purposes. All that said...I have no problems with power...control and experience are another matter

I put bought two SMC 4s 6500mah 70c lipos. These were the first SMC batteries I owned. I am quite happy with them. They deliver good punch, have always been reliable and all at a good price point.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Valdeck
Thank you both for you responses.

It may help if you know what I am looking for in a kit. I am looking for budget, durability, able to handle splashes and such and a reliable class for when I want to race. While I have looked at other kits they are all either out of stock or not out yet so I find my self looking at the TA RC8.2e or a duratrax with a giant overhaul.

A lot of my questions stem from a lack of understand how the electric motors work and how to decide what I need. For instance how many poles should my motor have, how much current should the ESC be able to handle, how much current should my batteries put out, why is a motor with a sensor better, how many kvl does the motor need, and how do I know how to gear it (and where the heck do I place the gears lol)?

In short I just want to make sure I get a motor with enough punch and speed that won't fry when its humid and that can handle my batteries well. So for the TA RC8.2e what would you suggest?
Go to Falcon Sekido and check out the Quicrun series. There dust proof and water proof. I like to run the sct pro in my 1/8 which is plenty . It's alot smaller footprint then the 150amp and won't cause problems when run on 2 cell. The sct pro and 150a aren't part of the new Quicrun series which is fairly new . But if your looking to get wet Id go Quicrun. I can say that I've ran my sct pro in the rain before and never ran into problems but not recommended .
Old 03-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Tech Initiate

I do feel a bit silly worrying about water since I plan to try to avoid it but given the amount of snow we had this winter and will probably have a wet spring I would much rather have some protection from the elements than be paranoid every time it gets even slightly wet.

Good to know the 150A fits and even better to know I need to cut the tray out some if I go that way. My main purpose behind wanting to go with the 150A was that I wanted to with something that could easily scale up to 6S once I was ready to do so and I was not sure if the 120A would comfortably scale up to 6S.

Freeze I pm'ed you.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Those Quikrun speedos are no joke either. They are Great. I run the 60 amp version in my 2wd SCT. Smooth and extremely small. I was extremely impressed with them after my first race day. The only real downfall I have with them if the fact you have to use the cheaper LED program box as its not compatible with the better LCD version.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by lewis110
Those Quikrun speedos are no joke either. They are Great. I run the 60 amp version in my 2wd SCT. Smooth and extremely small. I was extremely impressed with them after my first race day. The only real downfall I have with them if the fact you have to use the cheaper LED program box as its not compatible with the better LCD version.
So which one uses the nicer LED box?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Xerun stuff
Old 03-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The newer/better program box is the LCD box with the lipo battery voltage meter built in. All the Xerun and Ezrun speedos will work with the LCD box. That's why I'm not sure why the Quikrun is old led box only.

The ezrun and justock speedos will work with the LED or LCD program boxes.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Are there posts underneath there?

Had a question about the base of the wires on the Hobbywing ESCs...

In the event that I would have to replace a wire or two on the ESC, would I would be able to cut the shrink wrap and re solder new wire to the posts...? Or are there even posts to solder to underneath the current shrink wrap?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD-150a.jpg  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Structure26
Had a question about the base of the wires on the Hobbywing ESCs...

In the event that I would have to replace a wire or two on the ESC, would I would be able to cut the shrink wrap and re solder new wire to the posts...? Or are there even posts to solder to underneath the current shrink wrap?

Thanks.
Looks like a 150A I dont believe theres posts. You would have to cut the wire close to the esc board so they dont act as a heat sink, then un solder them, and install new ones. Not something I would try myself.

Last edited by FastPete; 03-06-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone. I have 2 questions. I have a Xerun V3.1 Stock Spec Sensored Brushless ESC and run a Reedy sonic 7.5. When I connect the battery, the ESC just beeps continuously. I cant press the power button to stop it or anything. I I have double checked my wiring to the motor and its all correct. (A to A, etc.) Any ideas??
Old 03-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JHKracing
Hi everyone. I have 2 questions. I have a Xerun V3.1 Stock Spec Sensored Brushless ESC and run a Reedy sonic 7.5. When I connect the battery, the ESC just beeps continuously. I cant press the power button to stop it or anything. I I have double checked my wiring to the motor and its all correct. (A to A, etc.) Any ideas??
Is it flashing the red LED on the power switch while it is beeping (kinda like it was in program mode)?

Is it happening right when you plug the battery in without using the power switch to turn on? If so, it sounds "pooched" to me
Old 03-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FastPete
Looks like a 150A I dont believe theres posts. You would have to cut the wire close to the esc board so they dont act as a heat sink, then un solder them, and install new ones. Not something I would try myself.
Thanks SpeedyPete, it is the 150A. I was just curious if near the beginning of the wire from the ESC, if the posts were like that of a Tekin for a example, but were just covered in shrink wrap.

No worries, I'll just try and keep enough slack on the wires to always have enough wire to solder motors in and out.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by brew99
Is it flashing the red LED on the power switch while it is beeping (kinda like it was in program mode)?

Is it happening right when you plug the battery in without using the power switch to turn on? If so, it sounds "pooched" to me
As soon as the battery is plugged in. Its brand new, right out of the box!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

if my motor bearings are shot in my 4700 will it make a really loud sound and be almost binding?
I order new ceramic bearings from Boca bearings and hope this fixes it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.