HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree192Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 12-15-2014, 12:16 PM
N4S
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Stock Spec V3.1 fan issue

Anyone know of any fan issue or possibly the wrong fan being on a Stock Spec V3.1? I have 2 of them bought a few weeks apart. The first one I bought the fan runs normally and is quiet. on the back of the fan it is marked 02 5V. The one i just installed today the fan is screaming loud and spins like a turbo... It seems like its running on double to triple the voltage but its not. If I put the other fan on this speedo it runs fine. The fan that is loud and fast is marked 01 5V. I am wondering if possible the wrong fan may have been installed on the new speedo? Anyone ever seen this and or know who I should contact. The web site leads me here. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SCTError
I'm running the XERUN 3656SD 4700kv motor, I purchased this as a combo, running a 13 tooth pinion and a 40 tooth spur. 130 to me is not hot enough for the wire to come un-soldered. so for some reason it seems only that one terminal is getting hot. The solder does not look broken when this happens the terminal solder is smooth and clean just like I heated it up with an iron and removed the wire. Power is always good then just stops when the wire comes unsoldered. there is never any indication of a problem leading up to this. I have turned the punch down to 2 and timing is at 5.
The 4700kv is an AMP monster. It could be just heating the wire up and melting the solder. What solder are you using? I normally use a 63/37 combination and it has a lower melting point. So i could easily see that happening.

The battery issue is more then likely the same thing. The amp load is just dragging your batteries down to far to hit the LVC. That motor is easily pushig the limits of any speed control. Data logging has shown the 4000kv to be pulling 110+ amps. So thats just generating a ton of heat on the wire and pushing batteries to the limit.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Try some silver solder if you can get some. But you have to have a HOTiron. The lvc on mine is set to 3.0
Paul
Old 12-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by N4S
Anyone know of any fan issue or possibly the wrong fan being on a Stock Spec V3.1? I have 2 of them bought a few weeks apart. The first one I bought the fan runs normally and is quiet. on the back of the fan it is marked 02 5V. The one i just installed today the fan is screaming loud and spins like a turbo... It seems like its running on double to triple the voltage but its not. If I put the other fan on this speedo it runs fine. The fan that is loud and fast is marked 01 5V. I am wondering if possible the wrong fan may have been installed on the new speedo? Anyone ever seen this and or know who I should contact. The web site leads me here. Thanks in advance for any help.
i have 2 of the same ESC and have the same issue. i thought it was maybe just inconsistency with them and just unplugged the loud one lol . the escs dont get nearly hot enough to need fan for me.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by lewis110
The 4700kv is an AMP monster. It could be just heating the wire up and melting the solder. What solder are you using? I normally use a 63/37 combination and it has a lower melting point. So i could easily see that happening.

The battery issue is more then likely the same thing. The amp load is just dragging your batteries down to far to hit the LVC. That motor is easily pushig the limits of any speed control. Data logging has shown the 4000kv to be pulling 110+ amps. So thats just generating a ton of heat on the wire and pushing batteries to the limit.

If I remember correctly I'm running 60/40 which I believe has a melting point somewhere near 185. I suppose the terminal could be getting that hot. But why jut that one? It this is strictly an issue of current draw then why would they sell a combination like this specificall for a short course 4wheel drive. It's a little disappointing that this is starting to look like a design flaw. I'll try some higher temp solder hopefully that does it but I'm afraid that may just expose the next weakest link in the system.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SCTError
If I remember correctly I'm running 60/40 which I believe has a melting point somewhere near 185. I suppose the terminal could be getting that hot. But why jut that one? It this is strictly an issue of current draw then why would they sell a combination like this specificall for a short course 4wheel drive. It's a little disappointing that this is starting to look like a design flaw. I'll try some higher temp solder hopefully that does it but I'm afraid that may just expose the next weakest link in the system.
I also run this same speedo in my Tekno E buggy on 4s with a 2200kv motor and have never melted the solder connections.
Paul
Old 12-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What's the difference btw the HW 3.1 2014 black edition and the older one? Are they internally the same or were some changes made?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brew99
What's the difference btw the HW 3.1 2014 black edition and the older one? Are they internally the same or were some changes made?
(Black Edition) All the wires are black. That's what I noticed. Internals are the same.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does the stock 3.1 esc come with a throttle limiter default? I hookrd it up and calibrated my radio and it steps up to full speed as opposed to just immediately wide open like my tekins do. Do I need to update the software or anything before use?
Old 12-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=xyzracer;13728072]Does the stock 3.1 esc come with a throttle limiter default? I hookrd it up and calibrated my radio and it steps up to full speed as opposed to just immediately wide open like my tekins do. Do I need to update the software or anything before use?[/QUOTE

Can you list your settings?
Old 12-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Not really but I know the issue.

Originally Posted by xyzracer
Does the stock 3.1 esc come with a throttle limiter default? I hookrd it up and calibrated my radio and it steps up to full speed as opposed to just immediately wide open like my tekins do. Do I need to update the software or anything before use?
The current firmware shipped on the V3.1s come by default on the mod profile which also has 10 degrees of timing advance set. What you are hearing is the delayed timing advance kicking in shortly after you reach full throttle. Do you have the programming box? Otherwise you can manually change to a different profile.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11
The current firmware shipped on the V3.1s come by default on the mod profile which also has 10 degrees of timing advance set. What you are hearing is the delayed timing advance kicking in shortly after you reach full throttle. Do you have the programming box? Otherwise you can manually change to a different profile.
I have the programming box from my sct pro/4000 combo. Will that also work with this one?
Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

I have the programming box from my sct pro/4000 combo. Will that also work with this one?
As long as its the newer lcd box with the built in Lipo battery meter. If it doesnt have the meter then the firmware will have to be switched on it. Or you can just use the box as the middleman and hook it up to the pc program to change settings.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Yes it should work

Yes, if it is the black digital programming box and no the older LED style box. If it does not connect you may need to update the firmware on the box. If it does connect make sure the boost and turbo timing are set to 0 for now.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by N4S
The 02 5v is the one that comes on the v3.1 120 amp version. I don't have any of the 01 5v fans. This very well could of been a running change for better cooling. I do know that Hobbywing does not make the fans. Maybe it was a supplier change.

For what its worth, I haven't owned any of the newer speedos that I would consider quite. Lol they all sound like they are ready for lift off.

Last edited by lewis110; 12-18-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.