HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree193Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 10-15-2014, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeepy2013
Thanks go out to HW NA, rec'd a brand new Stock Spec V3.1 yesterday. It started out a little on the rough and frustrating side sending in my brand new ESC for warranty, but once they got on it and got the ball rolling, they sent me a new unit pretty quick.
Great to hear now enjoy it.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Question about the 'Start Mode (Punch)' setting on the SCT Pro.

As I understand it, this setting limits the current. Is this current limiting through the entire throttle range, or just the beginning of the throttle range?

Curious if a lower punch setting limits the top speed of the motor. Would like to know what the technical explanation is.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Having trouble with my extreme stock esc and my airtronics 451 and 471 receivers. They don't want to power the Rx on at all. When I hook up the battery and turn the esc on but leave it unplugged from the Rx the esc light is solid red. When I plug in the Rx the light goes dead and no power. I tried both the extreme stock esc's with both rx's and both do the same. Help!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rcus3r

As I understand it, this setting limits the current. Is this current limiting through the entire throttle range, or just the beginning of the throttle range?

Curious if a lower punch setting limits the top speed of the motor. Would like to know what the technical explanation is.

Thanks.
Wont affect top speed. Just the startup transition area from a stop or roll.

Start Mode (Also called “Punch”): Select from “Level1” to “Level9” as your like, Level1 has a very soft start
effect, while level9 has a very aggressive start effect. From Level1 to Level9, the start force is increasing. Please note
that if you choose “Level7” to “Level9” mode, you must use good quality battery pack with powerful discharge ability,
otherwise these modes cannot get the burst start effect as you want. If the motor cannot run smoothly (the motor is
trembling), it may caused by the weak discharge ability of the battery pack, please choose a better battery or a softer
gear ratio
Old 10-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by FastPete
Wont affect top speed. Just the startup transition area from a stop or roll.
I read the the manual, but it does not give the full explanation. At what point does it stop limiting and allow the full current to flow through?

On the v3.1 (and perhaps others) you have two stages at which you can specify Punch Rate. So technically, you have control over this setting through the entire throttle range. On the SCT Pro, there is just one setting.

I guess I just wanted to know how it works.

On Castle ESCs, the torque limiting, if too low or high (it has been a while, so don't remember), will actually prevent your motor going the full speed, so that's why I am wondering.

Thanks.

Last edited by rcus3r; 10-15-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Curious if a lower punch setting limits the top speed of the motor.
As explained on the previous page, as far as I know, limiting "punch" means smoothening the throttle control input. Say your finger moves the trigger from neutral to full throttle in 0.1 second, then at maximum punch setting, the ESC will give this throttle input 1:1 to the motor. At a lower punch setting, the ESC will increase the throttle input more gradually, say from neutral to full in 0.5 seconds, instead of the 0.1 you commanded (these numbers are just as an example, I don't know how HW actually implemented this). This will indeed result in lower Current spikes (as it allows for a more gradual acceleration), but it is a misconception it is the same as a Current limiter: stall the motor and there will be no difference between peak Current at high or low punch setting.

I am not a racer, but if you are, try and see how well you are able to time throttling-up for jumps with the lowest punch setting. I might be wrong, but my guess is you wont't do as well as with the highest punch setting, because with low punch, your throttle command will be "spread out" in time more.

Would like to know what the technical explanation is.

Thanks.
Me too, so if anyone from HW that actually knows, could confirm whether the above is correct, that would be great.

EDIT.
On Castle ESCs, the torque limiting, if too high, will actually prevent your motor going the full speed, so that's why I am wondering.

Thanks.
Current / Torque limiting (technically the same) and punch settings are two different functions, each with their own use and purpose. HW does not have Current / Torque limiting in addition to punch settings, like Castle.

Last edited by Dr_T; 10-15-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: new post of rcus3r
Old 10-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dr_T
As explained on the previous page ...
Miss a day and miss out on all kinds of info. How interesting that a similar topic gets discussed back to back.

I too have the 150A in my buggy, and even at the lowest setting, and wish I could tame it down some more.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

Miss a day and miss out on all kinds of info. How interesting that a similar topic gets discussed back to back.

I too have the 150A in my buggy, and even at the lowest setting, and wish I could tame it down some more.
Yeah, that's the problem. If the punch is really the throttle input smoothener that I think it is, it doesn't really do much taming (unless used with small motors or low gearing). On the lowest punch setting my car will still launch itself and make the batteries cry for mommy, just with a sluggish throttle feeling, making it even harder to stay in control, as somehow throttle response feels less predictable.

In contrast, a real Current limiter can be used to take the edges off, without creating sluggish response.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My offroad cars with my Hobbwings. Just wanted to share my wiring with you guys. I love this ESC's.
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD-image.jpg
Old 10-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Attachment 1240173
Old 10-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tanis103
My offroad cars with my Hobbwings. Just wanted to share my wiring with you guys. I love this ESC's.
Attachment 1240172
Looks great!
Old 10-16-2014, 01:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11
Few more and a blank...
Please Check Previous Post at bottom of Page 524 for several more setup-sheets!

Please make sure you watch the gearing and temps of your motor with these settings! If not properly geared you can generate very high motor temps quickly, but this will make a 17.5 run like a 10.5!
Attachment 1237756

Blank Setup Sheet to track and share you own settings!
Attachment 1237757

Good Luck To All!

Alan (AKA JRF)
i'm looking at running a 13.5 in mod 2wd class in a B5M. i'm looking for a starting point with my 2.1 as far as gearing/boost/turbo. i'm using a 72 tooth spur. does this sound close?

24/72 gearing
20 degrees of boost coming on at 3000rpm to 19000rpm
10 degrees of turbo coming on at 18000rpm

i know i don't have it coming on as soon as your 17.5 setup, but i'm trying to keep it tame on the infield.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Where is the cheapest place to get these?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:15 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DisJuanGuy
Where is the cheapest place to get these?
I buy mine direct from Hobbywing North America, usually free shipping and they ship very quickly.

http://www.falconsekido.com/
Old 10-16-2014, 06:22 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FastPete
Great to hear now enjoy it.
I actually did, ran it in my Stadium truck in the mod class last night with a Speed Passion MMM 10.5t. Truck ran flawless, more than enough power for mod class. Qualified 2nd in both qualifiers and finished 2nd in the main. First time I raced the truck too.

I also run the same ESC in my B5M in stock 17.5 buggy class, that one powers a Trinity D4 17.5 Maxzilla and has been great, just need to work on my driving...lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.