Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree180Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 08-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

What kind of battery do you guys recommend using and how do you recommend connecting it to power the program card? I'm using an external bec so my understanding is I need an external power source.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 236 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dpcardoza View Post
What kind of battery do you guys recommend using and how do you recommend connecting it to power the program card? I'm using an external bec so my understanding is I need an external power source.
Please elaborate on this external power source idea. Program card works the same whether you've got an internal or external bec.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

According to the instructions if you are using an external bec then you need a separate 4.8-6V power source to power the card. I'm using a high voltage servo so disconnected the esc's bec and wired in a separate bec. So my normal 3 wire connection from the esc to the receiver is only a 2 wire connection (disconnected the red wire) . Hopefully that makes sense.
Darren
Old 08-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 236 (100%+)

According to the instructions if you are using an external bec then you need a separate 4.8-6V power source to power the card. I'm using a high voltage servo so disconnected the esc's bec and wired in a separate bec. So my normal 3 wire connection from the esc to the receiver is only a 2 wire connection (disconnected the red wire) . Hopefully that makes sense.
Darren
Same setup as my sct pro on all 4 of our vehicles....no need for a separate power source. Plug in your 2s/4s pack, turn on esc, power flows to program card.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Darren
I've been using HV servos for 2.5 years now..the BEC is only used to give the receiver 7.2V for the HV servos. The receiver and servo will also run at 6V but then why buy HV servo when your not really using it.

Depending on the ESC, you will plug in the program card in a different spot, for the SCT pro you plug it into the fan plug; the V3 has a programmer port ; its ~6V on that port and program card should work fine irrespective of whether you have a BEC or not.
for the 150 amp ESC you plug the receiver wire into the program card.. now this is where it gets tricky. When using a BEC you want to remove the red (power) line on the ESC to receiver plug. As a tip; I never cut my ESC plug, instead I get a servo extender cable and remove the red line in it and then plug that into the receiver. that way when I need to plug the ESC into the program box I can. However if you already cut the red line on the ESC to receiver cable you can put in 5V~6V into the program box to get it to power on.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

for the 150 amp ESC you plug the receiver wire into the program card.. now this is where it gets tricky. When using a BEC you want to remove the red (power) line on the ESC to receiver plug. As a tip; I never cut my ESC plug, instead I get a servo extender cable and remove the red line in it and then plug that into the receiver. that way when I need to plug the ESC into the program box I can. However if you already cut the red line on the ESC to receiver cable you can put in 5V~6V into the program box to get it to power on.
I'm using the 150a Xerun esc. I didn't cut the wire yet, just took it out of the plug and wrapped it up with electrical tape. I like the idea of the extension, I'll give it a shot.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm using the 150a Xerun esc. I didn't cut the wire yet, just took it out of the plug and wrapped it up with electrical tape. I like the idea of the extension, I'll give it a shot.
No Brainer BEC.......http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/heynbradj.htm

Adjustable voltage to your servo and its fully plug and play, no more removing wires.
Paul
Old 08-28-2014, 11:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Sct Pro Esc with Tenshock SC411 4000kv Motor

I recently purchased this combo and have had issues from day one. The main issue is shortly after running the car, the red and green led flash when the throttle is in neutral position. According to the manual this means: Over current protection, motor demagnetization, or motor is over load.

I have tried a variety of gear sizes as well as double checking all wires and solder joints. I am hesitant to run the car for any extended time out of fear of damaging either the motor or esc. I have also updated the firmware for the esc. Out of desperation I tried the latest version, 140627. Prior to that I tried 130520. None of these updates seem to make a difference.

The only way I was able to get the led's to stop flashing is by removing the sensor wire and running the setup as sensorless. I am fairly new to this hobby so correct me if I am wrong, but the sensor wire is what is relaying the over load message.

I have searched these forums and cannot seem to find any solutions to this problem. Any help or guidance/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Serpent SCT ESC recomendations

I have a new Serpent Spyder SCT that weighs in over 5lbs. I am in the market for a new ESC and looking at the Justock Spec Race but have concerns that the truck is too heavy to use with this ESC. Plan on running 17.5T Blinky class.

Does the weight of the vehicle affect the performance of the ESC?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

I bought a SCT-Pro and raced it for the first time last weekend. I think it performed great..... except I would have to re calibrate it to my radio before my next run . Is there a reason for this ?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi all
I just got a HW program box and it has software V1.17_140315

I have never heard of this software and wonder if I can get the V1.08 on there again?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

sure, you can down grade the software
Old 08-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

It wont let me do it?
Can I force the box into reset mode or something like what you can with the SP reventon boxes?

I now have V3 something FW on the ESC.. I thought HW FW for the V2.1 was 930MOD or 552 mod etc?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)
Default Dead

Well I decided to try and update my new stock spec v3.1 to see if it would stop shutting off mid run and now it is what they call bricked. I get the power on, servo works but can not shut it off, programming box and computer will not connect to it. So far not real impressed.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by onekiwi View Post
It wont let me do it?
Can I force the box into reset mode or something like what you can with the SP reventon boxes?

I now have V3 something FW on the ESC.. I thought HW FW for the V2.1 was 930MOD or 552 mod etc?
The Program box doesn't store firmwares to install into the ESC. It just simply reads what's already installed into the ESC. You will need to hook it to the PC program to switch firmware in the ESC itself... The newest ESC firmware for the v2.1's are 508_No_Timing, then both 930 stock and mod.

99% of the time there is no need to update the program box. Unless you have an old box with both a 2.1 and v3 speedo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.