Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree192Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 05-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Genebaby
On the only day I've ever seen ESC's smoke up, we had two of them. One was a 150A HW.

What are the specs of your battery?
The lipo that was used when the esc burned was a 5000mah 35/70c 4s fully charged and balanced Hobbyking Nano Tech.

With a conservative punch setting I would think these specs would be ok.

This is my lowest spec lipos. The others I use are Hobbyking Nano Tech 6600mah 65/130c.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That battery is just over the minimum but not enough that I would be comfortable using it, it's a bit to close.

I am pretty sure the guy who smoked his was using batteries quite under spec. My experience with doing that early on was to lose a battery, which I realise now is preferable, though I lost two before I worked it all out.

I would use that battery on a 120A ESC though.

Nobody can say for sure what the cause was, at our track they usually just stop working but that day two smoked up.

Your other batteries are like mine now, very over spec to what the ESC might need.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Tech Rookie

I have the xerun sct pro esc with 4700 4pole xerun motor.. Battery is fully charged new batteries in remote good connections everywhere have only ran it like 4 times.. Every time I give it full power it starts to slow down and barely moves and then I stop the truck sometimes I have to hit throttle a couple times and then it will take off like normal other times it acts like I'm only giving it half throttle.. The light on esc turns red when I hit the throttle and when running fine it turns green at throttle other times when running bad it just stays red..
Old 05-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jfbaucom
I have the xerun sct pro esc with 4700 4pole xerun motor.. Battery is fully charged new batteries in remote good connections everywhere have only ran it like 4 times.. Every time I give it full power it starts to slow down and barely moves and then I stop the truck sometimes I have to hit throttle a couple times and then it will take off like normal other times it acts like I'm only giving it half throttle.. The light on esc turns red when I hit the throttle and when running fine it turns green at throttle other times when running bad it just stays red..
Try to lower the LVC, its most likely hitting it. Try 2.8-3.0 and report back.

Also post your settings.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Tech Rookie

That fixed it.. If the battery is weaker cuz of use and age it would be more likely to not work as well right?? It is a 5600 65c.. Settings are race mode 0 timing now PVC at 3 and it didn't do it at all with my newer 6500 70c.. Does that esc motor pull a lot of voltage?? Is that why I'm having the trouble..
Old 05-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jfbaucom
That fixed it.. If the battery is weaker cuz of use and age it would be more likely to not work as well right?? It is a 5600 65c.. Settings are race mode 0 timing now PVC at 3 and it didn't do it at all with my newer 6500 70c.. Does that esc motor pull a lot of voltage?? Is that why I'm having the trouble..
Yes sir, theres nothing wrong with running the LVC at 2.8-3.0, just know how long you can run on that battery from a full charge.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

That battery is just over the minimum but not enough that I would be comfortable using it, it's a bit to close.

I am pretty sure the guy who smoked his was using batteries quite under spec. My experience with doing that early on was to lose a battery, which I realise now is preferable, though I lost two before I worked it all out.

Nobody can say for sure what the cause was, at our track they usually just stop working but that day two smoked up.

Your other batteries are like mine now, very over spec to what the ESC might need.
I agree to some extent, but I don't think that using 35C continuous / 70C burst is anywhere near a problem scenario. Especially not on stock settings, not using the high punch settings.

I remember "back in the days" I bought a Traxxas E-Revo that came with a Mamba Monster combo and two 25C Traxxas lipos as standard. I would not think that Traxxas would pack 25C lipos with the car if that was just remotely close to being able to damage the esc.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
Salkin:
Just asking....you failed to mention your gearing when this happened, do you remember what it was? I don't think I have ever seen a HW go up in smoke, I'm not saying it never happens though. When you think of how many of these items are produced you are bound to have the occasional failure. I'm happy to hear you have not given up on our product's, but I'm not happy you are having difficulties.
Paul Rush
HWNA
Team Driver......
If it could be of any interest, I could take a couple of pics of the esc.

On the side of the esc with the capacitors there is almost a burned hole through the plastic, and there are smoke/burn marks around the sensor socket on the opposite side of the esc.

Maybe just a "simple" short circuit caused by something coming loose inside the esc?
Old 05-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Salkin
I agree to some extent, but I don't think that using 35C continuous / 70C burst is anywhere near a problem scenario. Especially not on stock settings, not using the high punch settings.

I remember "back in the days" I bought a Traxxas E-Revo that came with a Mamba Monster combo and two 25C Traxxas lipos as standard. I would not think that Traxxas would pack 25C lipos with the car if that was just remotely close to being able to damage the esc.
C rating is only half the story, what were the mah of the batteries Traxxas supplied?

I'm not saying the battery was a contributor for sure, but I've learned that ESC's are demanding and the results aren't always the same.

Castle recommended 25C as a minimum so with the Vorza as my first car I got some 30C batteries, 5000mah.

Unbeknownst to me this was fine as I wanted a decent run time as I wasn't racing yet. Had I decided I wanted it lighter and used 3000mah batteries I would have run into trouble as the amps provided would not have been enough.

This I discovered when I used the same batteries in my new 220A ESC and began killing batteries, even a new 65C nano-tech, which was a 3700, to save weight.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

C rating is only half the story, what were the mah of the batteries Traxxas supplied?

I'm not saying the battery was a contributor for sure, but I've learned that ESC's are demanding and the results aren't always the same.

Castle recommended 25C as a minimum so with the Vorza as my first car I got some 30C batteries, 5000mah.

Unbeknownst to me this was fine as I wanted a decent run time as I wasn't racing yet. Had I decided I wanted it lighter and used 3000mah batteries I would have run into trouble as the amps provided would not have been enough.

This I discovered when I used the same batteries in my new 220A ESC and began killing batteries, even a new 65C nano-tech, which was a 3700, to save weight.
They were 5000mah.

But from what I've heard, there is no industry standard on the C rating, so it is more or less up to the manufactures own business moral to report which C rating their lipos can deliver.

I have seen several lipos advertised as 50C lipos, but reading more closely they where only 25C cont., but 50C in burst.

I agree that it would always be best to get the highest C rated lipos.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by FastPete
Yes sir, theres nothing wrong with running the LVC at 2.8-3.0, just know how long you can run on that battery from a full charge.
Thank ya sir.. That sct pro and 4700 is a beast
Old 05-02-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is completely wrong! Those batteries are fine you can use a 2000 mah 15c if you want and it's not gonna hurt the esc, the batteries will puff immediately but the esc would be fine. And the to day that he should only use those batteries on a 120amp esc, really? The esc doesn't pull the power it's more like a valve allowing the motor to draw through it. And unless its way over geared the motor shouldn't draw enough amps to hurt the esc.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:12 AM
Tech Rookie

I just got my sct pro 4700 esc motor combo. When I hooked up the program box it got stuck on connecting to esc. I updated the software in hopes that would fix it, but it didn't. Is there anything else I can try?
Old 05-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lipripper
I just got my sct pro 4700 esc motor combo. When I hooked up the program box it got stuck on connecting to esc. I updated the software in hopes that would fix it, but it didn't. Is there anything else I can try?
Are you hooked into the fan port? If you are then try unplugging the wire from the receiver, if the throttle is floating back and forth it will not connect.
Paul
Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lipripper
Hi,
I have to depress the Item button on the programmer to get connected. Have you tried that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.