HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree191Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 03-24-2014, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp
I thought I would post this to possibly help others. I have a Tekno SC410 SCT powered by a Hobbywing SCT Pro 120 amp ESC with the 4700 motor (Combo). I had issues with the truck basically shutting down after about four minutes. I originally had my batteries set for 3.2 volts and brought them down to 3.0 volts and then 2.8 volts. I also reduced the pinion from 16 to 15. I don't think the latter two were the culprit. I was running drag brake at 20%. I dropped the drag brake down to 10% now. Throughout the process i was temping my ESC, Motor, and batteries. At present, My ESC is at 142 degrees with the fan engage at the end of a hard street run with lots of high speed runs, my motor is about ten degrees less, and my batteries are at about 105 degrees. I have SMC 7200 mah batteries...good c level too...purchased a few weeks ago... I think this solved the problem as my car did not seem to stop like before... (Before it would stop.. then a minute later I could go full speed...) As stated, I think it's a ESC heat issue which reducing the drag brake appears to fix the problem.... I will continue to tinker with it and see if I can get the ESC temps down by somehow providing more airflow to the esc. I may even try to move the ESC to the rear of the car.... As it sits now, it is in the front and the airflow gets blocked as I used two sides to stick my wonderful 3m mounting tape....
DB and brakes in general heat the esc and motor a lot.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FastPete
Not sure on the MAC. But download the software onto your computer. Then hook the card to the ESC, and the card to the computer. When you pick update firmware, it will have the choices that are available for your esc.

Any questions as your doing it just ask.
Thanks, the link to download the software isn't working. Guess I will try in the am
Old 03-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Resqnu
Thanks, the link to download the software isn't working. Guess I will try in the am
Ya that's strange.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ya that's strange.
Did you check it as well. Shouldn't be my pc. Just wondering
Old 03-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Resqnu
Did you check it as well. Shouldn't be my pc. Just wondering
Yep when you click the link it never goes there.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

ok, Thanks for checking. The same happens here. I will try in the am. Thanks for all your help
Old 03-24-2014, 11:48 PM
Tech Rookie

hi guys

so i turned the lvc down to 3v and it got i little better so then i tried 2.8v and it got better again YAY...

i had already locked in the cell count (2S)

then i saw that the motor shaft has 1mm of movement in and out of the motor can and when i push it into the motor with my finger on the rear of the motor i can feel it touching the rear of the motor. should there be any movement there?
my mate at work has the same motor/ esc combo and i had a look at his and his has no movement in the shaft at all. could this be the problem, maybe somthing has broke internaly and is disrupting the sensor?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here's another link to the PC software.
http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=218
Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp
I thought I would post this to possibly help others. I have a Tekno SC410 SCT powered by a Hobbywing SCT Pro 120 amp ESC with the 4700 motor (Combo). I had issues with the truck basically shutting down after about four minutes. I originally had my batteries set for 3.2 volts and brought them down to 3.0 volts and then 2.8 volts. I also reduced the pinion from 16 to 15. I don't think the latter two were the culprit. I was running drag brake at 20%. I dropped the drag brake down to 10% now. Throughout the process i was temping my ESC, Motor, and batteries. At present, My ESC is at 142 degrees with the fan engage at the end of a hard street run with lots of high speed runs, my motor is about ten degrees less, and my batteries are at about 105 degrees. I have SMC 7200 mah batteries...good c level too...purchased a few weeks ago... I think this solved the problem as my car did not seem to stop like before... (Before it would stop.. then a minute later I could go full speed...) As stated, I think it's a ESC heat issue which reducing the drag brake appears to fix the problem.... I will continue to tinker with it and see if I can get the ESC temps down by somehow providing more airflow to the esc. I may even try to move the ESC to the rear of the car.... As it sits now, it is in the front and the airflow gets blocked as I used two sides to stick my wonderful 3m mounting tape....

I had some temping issues with the exact same set up you are running and I installed an SCT ESC fan in between the motor and ESC Blowing on the motor. It did two things. Kept the motor cool and flows air around the outside of the ESC keeping it slightly cooler as well. I held the fan in place with 2 sided tape and have had no issues since.With the Fan added I still get a 10 min main w/o issues. You will have to put a receiver plug on the fan and plug into one of the open ports on your receiver. FYI Very important to make sure your ESC fan is always in good condition. CHECK IT REGULARLY GUYS!!! If it sounds noisy or is not spinning at a good fast rpm replace it! Or you may be replacing your ESC...
Old 03-25-2014, 06:35 AM
Tech Adept

DB and brakes in general heat the esc and motor a lot.
Yes I have noticed that from my experience's also... I usually run no more that 10% DB.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by lewis110
Here's another link to the PC software.
http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=218
Thanks
Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

Glad you got it figured out. Were here to help anytime.
OK, I can now confirm that the problem was the screw. I ran it through full pack, even changed the LVC to default 3.2V, default timing 5 and punch 4. No issues, ran 13 min on 35 C
5000 batteries and when done, batteries still had 7.9 V.
Now the biggest problem seems like finding the replacement bolts. No response from Trinity.
For testing I used just two bolts and threadlock. But don't want to run it this way.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok, I've got the software downloaded and upgraded the LCD firmware. All wires are connected (USB to PC and LCD, esc wire to LCD) The software doesn't seem to see the esc. Does the esc need to be connected to the lipo?

Got the software updated

Last edited by Resqnu; 03-25-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well, got the firmware updated and the browning out problem still exists.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vman1
OK, I can now confirm that the problem was the screw. I ran it through full pack, even changed the LVC to default 3.2V, default timing 5 and punch 4. No issues, ran 13 min on 35 C
5000 batteries and when done, batteries still had 7.9 V.
Now the biggest problem seems like finding the replacement bolts. No response from Trinity.
For testing I used just two bolts and threadlock. But don't want to run it this way.
Glad its figured out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.