Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree193Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 01-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by FastPete
That's strange. I run the same ESC, I would try to recalibrate, try another sensor wire, lower the LVC, one at a time. And report back. A month old sure you can send it in for them to look at it. Just follow the instructions on the website.

Post your settings also, so JFuel and others can take a look.
Alrighty, re-calibrated it. No change, except the LEDS aren't flashing like crazy, just red led for forward and reverse/brake. Except the motor isn't spinning. Except when I turn the wheels a little bit first then it'll go until stopped as before.

I'll pick up another sensor cable this weekend.

Do you think the LVC would be interfering as my batteries have more than enough punch for the esc/motor, they're rated at 70C and shouldn't be putting such a load on them that they falsely trigger the LVC.. right?

I'll post my settings for JFuel etc can look at them.

Edit - Also looking closely at the cap on the esc the one to the right (if holding caps towards you) looks slightly bulged, not drastic, just slight. Would a bluged/blown cap affect the ESC this way?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Tested LVC - didnt change anything.

ESC Settings:

1: 2 Forward, Brake, Reverse
2: 1 0% Drag Brake
3: 5 3.2v Lvc
4: 5 Punch
5: 2 50% Brake
6: 1 25% Reverse (also, it has always seemed a long delay in reverse with this esc, is that normal?
7: 1 -initial brake force
8: 2 9% neutral range
9: 15* timing
10: 1 overheat protection enabled
11: 1
12: 2 (2S Lipo)
Old 01-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default More info

Originally Posted by TripleThick
Tested LVC - didnt change anything.

ESC Settings:

1: 2 Forward, Brake, Reverse
2: 1 0% Drag Brake
3: 5 3.2v Lvc
4: 5 Punch
5: 2 50% Brake
6: 1 25% Reverse (also, it has always seemed a long delay in reverse with this esc, is that normal?
7: 1 -initial brake force
8: 2 9% neutral range
9: 15* timing
10: 1 overheat protection enabled
11: 1
12: 2 (2S Lipo)
What chassis is this in and what gearing do you have. On the first 5 runs did you happen to get a temp on the motor during or right after a run? Was this on a track when this happened?

The Red flashing light usually indicates low voltage but it looks like it is not blinking now.

In regards to the reverse delay, Yes it is typical as the esc is set up to where you actually have to double tap (First tap is brake, second Tap is Reverse) but the esc will also not start reverse until it the motor has reached 0 RPM. This helps reduce driveline damage when a vehicle is slammed into reverse while moving forward.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JFuel11
What chassis is this in and what gearing do you have. On the first 5 runs did you happen to get a temp on the motor during or right after a run? Was this on a track when this happened?

The Red flashing light usually indicates low voltage but it looks like it is not blinking now.

In regards to the reverse delay, Yes it is typical as the esc is set up to where you actually have to double tap (First tap is brake, second Tap is Reverse) but the esc will also not start reverse until it the motor has reached 0 RPM. This helps reduce driveline damage when a vehicle is slammed into reverse while moving forward.
On the first 5 runs, the temp was cool to the touch (I didn't read it, but it was cool to the touch, easily under 100) I'm running it in a Tekno SCT410 w/ a 16t pinion (stock spur/46t?).

And yes this was on a indoor, clay track - medium/small.

I'm not sure why the red led was blinking at all, the battery was almost full (run time of 3 laps so ~1.5 minutes).. but that's not happening at the moment.

The delay on the reverse is worse than that..It will be sitting for a solid 3-10 seconds of stand still with multiple attempts at reverse on the trigger before it engages sometimes.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Default Sounds like sensor issues...

Originally Posted by TripleThick
On the first 5 runs, the temp was cool to the touch (I didn't read it, but it was cool to the touch, easily under 100) I'm running it in a Tekno SCT410 w/ a 16t pinion (stock spur/46t?).

And yes this was on a indoor, clay track - medium/small.

I'm not sure why the red led was blinking at all, the battery was almost full (run time of 3 laps so ~1.5 minutes).. but that's not happening at the moment.

The delay on the reverse is worse than that..It will be sitting for a solid 3-10 seconds of stand still with multiple attempts at reverse on the trigger before it engages sometimes.
If it is having trouble going into reverse as well the esc can't tell what the motor is doing..... With sensor issues it is most often a bad sensor wire, but could be sensor board in motor or ESC issues. Let us know if changing the sensor wire solves the problem. Also, double check your sensor wire connections.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Last edited by rcuser67898578; 12-09-2023 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If I hook a 2s up to my V3.1 1S esc, will I see smoke? I wonder if they say no more than 1s on that esc simply because it does not have a fan?

I just got a v2.1 1s replaced by HW, I should have asked for the 2-3s version as replacement I guess. I race both oval and offroad, but have enough 1s esc's.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ran my Serpent last night with my new HW JuStock esc in it. I was so impressed, as was everyone at the track. I may have sold 4 from the people I let drive my car.

I ran Mod and Stock buggy with my 17.5 Reedy sonic(original) and my JuStock esc. Qualified 5th in mod, and finished 4th (ahead of Jim, pete!). I qualified 3rd in stock, and finished 3rd. I was up to second for half the race, and pacing the leader hard waiting for a mistake. Instead a lapper felt I didn't deserve the chance to win, and I dropped to 4th. I wheeled back up to second, but was over driving to try and catch back up to first and traction rolled in the sweeper 2 straight laps, so I settled into 3rd, and paced second until the horn.

Great night, all my equipment was flawless, and this esc is just awesome. Best 50$ purchase you could ever make if running stock.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Captcha
Ran my Serpent last night with my new HW JuStock esc in it. I was so impressed, as was everyone at the track. I may have sold 4 from the people I let drive my car.

I ran Mod and Stock buggy with my 17.5 Reedy sonic(original) and my JuStock esc. Qualified 5th in mod, and finished 4th (ahead of Jim, pete!). I qualified 3rd in stock, and finished 3rd. I was up to second for half the race, and pacing the leader hard waiting for a mistake. Instead a lapper felt I didn't deserve the chance to win, and I dropped to 4th. I wheeled back up to second, but was over driving to try and catch back up to first and traction rolled in the sweeper 2 straight laps, so I settled into 3rd, and paced second until the horn.

Great night, all my equipment was flawless, and this esc is just awesome. Best 50$ purchase you could ever make if running stock.
That's great! Sounds like Jim needs to sharpen his pencil
Old 01-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FastPete
That's great! Sounds like Jim needs to sharpen his pencil
He was leading, lapping a back marker and the marshall walked right infront of him. Then 2nd place railroaded him into a pipe, and he pulled it off after that he was pretty heated.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Any of the 1/10th ESCs let you change motor rotation? Sensored....
Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Default Not Suggested...

Originally Posted by Tommygun1
If I hook a 2s up to my V3.1 1S esc, will I see smoke? I wonder if they say no more than 1s on that esc simply because it does not have a fan?

I just got a v2.1 1s replaced by HW, I should have asked for the 2-3s version as replacement I guess. I race both oval and offroad, but have enough 1s esc's.
The 1s ESCs are limited to 1s or 3-4 NiMh Cell Operation. This is due to the voltage boosting BEC mostly.

I would suggest selling one of the current units you have and picking up a 2s version.

I have included the V3.1 1S specs for reference:
Hobbywing V3.1 1S Specifications.pdf
Old 01-03-2014, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Default Nice Job Brandon!!!

Originally Posted by Captcha

These little Justock ESC continue to blow my mind on the performance, quality and cost! Nice driving as well... That buggy looked so good you had to get it on the podium

Well Done!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JFuel11
These little Justock ESC continue to blow my mind on the performance, quality and cost! Nice driving as well... That buggy looked so good you had to get it on the podium

Well Done!
Thanks JFuel, much appreciated!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Default Yes... Yes they do

Originally Posted by BillyT.
Any of the 1/10th ESCs let you change motor rotation? Sensored....
The V3.1 line of ESCs do NOT allow you to change motor direction in software. This is due to the advanced sensor capabilities of this esc and the fact that it is always running in sensored mode and does not switch over to non-sensored when running a sensor wire. This provides best performance with timing advance options.

The V2 line of ESCs do have the ability to change the motor direction in software.

Hope this helps

Alan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.