HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree194Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 12-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Truggy Setup...

Originally Posted by brandon1116
Thinking of getting a truggy what hobby wing setup would you guys recommend? ?? I'm going to be using 4s since I already have some!! I don't really race all that much just usually play around with an occasional race here and there. Sorry for my ignorance but the whole kv thing confuses me. I think I have it narrowed down to the 1800 the 2000 or 2200. I've heard of people putting buggy motors in their truggy and gearing it different to get it right but I don't really want to mess with that!!! Since I don't really race much I want a motor that can kick butt but on race days be able to tone it down to be manageable on a track!!! Once again sorry if these are dumb questions just want to make sure I get the right combo. Also do I technically need the 150a esc or will the 120a be enough??? Thanks for any input I would appreciate it!
Lets address equipment first:

I would only go with the 150 Amp ESC for a truggy as they are the biggest and heaviest of all the race vehicles we run. It would be good measure as I think you would be pushing the 120 to it's limits under some conditions.

In regards to KV, KV means Kilo-volt. It is not a great way to rate motors from brand to brand because each company can rate the KV differently... with time, without timing and such... But it is a good way to rate motors of different power levels within a single company.

The Higher the KV rating the more rpm and potentially more power the motor will product.

For Example: 2000KV motor means the motor should product 2000 RPM for every volt of power applied to it so if you are running a 4s battery pack which would produce approx 16 volts on average, then the motor would have the potential to turn 32,000 RPM at full throttle.

For me I prefer the following motors KV ratings:

1/8 Buggy 1800 - 1900KV 4S Indoor Racing
1/8 Buggy 1900 - 2000KV 4S Outdoor Racing

1/8 Truggy 1900 - 2000KV 4S Indoor Racing
1/8 Truggy 2000 - 2200KV 4S Outdoor Racing

Keep in mind that a brushless truggy can be pretty hard on batteries so make sure they are a decent C rating.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Default V10 Motor Testing...

In our track testing day yesterday, I found that the V10 Mod motors like to pull a tooth more of gear typically than other motors of the same turn. However they run very cool and like to be pushed with some timing as well.

In my 2wd Buggy I found the most power out of my 8.5 on our larger indoor clay track geared at 81/24 with 40 Degrees of Timing at the endbell. The motor was very strong and would power wheelie off the corners and down half the straight if you got into the throttle too hard, but had tons of low end rip as well.

I could run a practice session over 20 minutes with this setup with motor temps staying under 145 degrees.

Now to play with the 6.5 Turn in my 2wd SCT...

Happy racing to everyone for this weekend... Let us know how your Hobbywing equipment performed for you!

Alan
Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JFuel11
In our track testing day yesterday, I found that the V10 Mod motors like to pull a tooth more of gear typically than other motors of the same turn. However they run very cool and like to be pushed with some timing as well.

In my 2wd Buggy I found the most power out of my 8.5 on our larger indoor clay track geared at 81/24 with 40 Degrees of Timing at the endbell. The motor was very strong and would power wheelie off the corners and down half the straight if you got into the throttle too hard, but had tons of low end rip as well.

I could run a practice session over 20 minutes with this setup with motor temps staying under 145 degrees.

Now to play with the 6.5 Turn in my 2wd SCT...

Happy racing to everyone for this weekend... Let us know how your Hobbywing equipment performed for you!

Alan
Nice ! Good info . I haven't had the time to test with my 8.5. But this will be a great starting point. Thank you Alan.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

cut off my on/off switch accidently when my double side taped decided not to be sticky any more. anyway to bypass it? how do i recalibrate without a switch?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Last edited by rcuser67898578; 12-09-2023 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Default Great Info!!!

Originally Posted by Johnny-RC
Alan this can be said for the V10 17.5 "Stock" motor as well. We recently ran a 3 hour electric enduro here at Modesto RC Raceway and the class was limited to 17.5 Boosted/Blinky 2wd SCT. Running boosted or blinky was at the team discretion. Our team ran a Hobbywing Stock Spec 3.1 esc with a V10 17.5 boosted 30. We ran the whole 3 hours on this motor in a SC10 and the hottest the V10 ever got was 98. Granted the weather has been cool this time of year, but still some great results. No one had any power on us down the straight and motor had plenty of power. We ended up getting second in the event
Thanks for sharing this info, great to know, would you mind filling out one of the posted setup sheets on the forum a few pages back and posting it for all leverage? We could post it on the HWNA Website as well.

Information is power!

Thanks

Alan
Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Default There is no real way...

Originally Posted by cmarcan167
cut off my on/off switch accidently when my double side taped decided not to be sticky any more. anyway to bypass it? how do i recalibrate without a switch?
There is no real way to do this with the switch gone unless you can close the circuit on the third wire with the positive power (red) wire. You best bet would be to pick up a new switch harness and open up case and solder in or send esc into HWNA for repair or replacement.

Where are you located?
Old 12-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default And great job!

Originally Posted by Johnny-RC
Alan this can be said for the V10 17.5 "Stock" motor as well. We recently ran a 3 hour electric enduro here at Modesto RC Raceway and the class was limited to 17.5 Boosted/Blinky 2wd SCT. Running boosted or blinky was at the team discretion. Our team ran a Hobbywing Stock Spec 3.1 esc with a V10 17.5 boosted 30. We ran the whole 3 hours on this motor in a SC10 and the hottest the V10 ever got was 98. Granted the weather has been cool this time of year, but still some great results. No one had any power on us down the straight and motor had plenty of power. We ended up getting second in the event
Very cool great job.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JFuel11
There is no real way to do this with the switch gone unless you can close the circuit on the third wire with the positive power (red) wire. You best bet would be to pick up a new switch harness and open up case and solder in or send esc into HWNA for repair or replacement.

Where are you located?
+2 I may know someone with a switch
Old 12-28-2013, 05:12 PM
vr6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

thinking of spending some scratch on a hobby wing setup just need some much needed direction.

looking for something in a combo pkg for 2wd open

budget not an issue. needs to have a small footprint though. i want to try running the esc inline in the battery tray on a serpent spider buggy and then later on in the mid motor version

thanks for any and all recommendation
Old 12-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vr6
thinking of spending some scratch on a hobby wing setup just need some much needed direction.

looking for something in a combo pkg for 2wd open

budget not an issue. needs to have a small footprint though. i want to try running the esc inline in the battery tray on a serpent spider buggy and then later on in the mid motor version

thanks for any and all recommendation
As long as it would fit, check the dims on my website. 120A V3.1, programing card, and a V10 motor or if you have one that's fine. Would be top of the line.

Or a extreme combo would work well also. And a bit smaller. I sent you a PM outlining this.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Not a good day of racing for me today. Cam in 4th out of 7 buggys I had to pull the car off the track it kept spinning out to the left getting in the way. It's never done that before the diff is smooth. Beats me what's up. I see nothing binding. Did the same thing with new tires. From a standing start it would spin to the left.
Set the punch rate to 15 same thing?
Old 12-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 5th wheel
Not a good day of racing for me today. Cam in 4th out of 7 buggys I had to pull the car off the track it kept spinning out to the left getting in the way. It's never done that before the diff is smooth. Beats me what's up. I see nothing binding. Did the same thing with new tires. From a standing start it would spin to the left.
Set the punch rate to 15 same thing?
Sounds like your only getting power to one side. Inspect the diff internals maybe a pin broke, CVD pin, etc? Bearing?
Old 12-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FastPete
Sounds like your only getting power to one side. Inspect the diff internals maybe a pin broke, CVD pin, etc? Bearing?
Ok I will tear it down and check everything. But this buggy was a mess today.
Had to fight it in the a main to get 4th. Did 1 qualifier and just 4 laps in the 2nd qualifier and just took the buggy off the track it was spinning out to much getting in the way.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 5th wheel
Ok I will tear it down and check everything. But this buggy was a mess today.
Had to fight it in the a main to get 4th. Did 1 qualifier and just 4 laps in the 2nd qualifier and just took the buggy off the track it was spinning out to much getting in the way.
Stripped wheel maybe also

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.