Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree192Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 08-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RokleM
Soft tape. SCT410 is MUCH different than the enclosed EB48. Gearing will not help with fan failures. Racer.
What I meant is your esc will not overheat with the correct gearing. Even if the fan dies during a race. You said your esc was 230 when it came off.just for future referance drop a tooth or two so you wont have to worry if your fan doesnt make the race.Sometimes soft tape isnt sufficient enough for some of the abuse these buggys go through.A 2250 is way to big to be racing . If possible try grabbing a 1700 to 1900 kv on 4 cell.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losi57
What I meant is your esc will not overheat with the correct gearing. Even if the fan dies during a race. You said your esc was 230 when it came off.just for future referance drop a tooth or two so you wont have to worry if your fan doesnt make the race.Sometimes soft tape isnt sufficient enough for some of the abuse these buggys go through.A 2250 is way to big to be racing . If possible try grabbing a 1700 to 1900 kv on 4 cell.
Sorry, but can't say I agree with much if any of that.

1) The 2250 is a highly recommended and very common buggy motor across many brands, especially in the EB48's. It is perfectly fine for track use, especially on some of the bigger outdoor setups (one track is about 140' straight, one nearly 200').

2) All ESC's have the danger of overheating if the fan fails. My system runs relatively cool when the fan works, roughly 140 on motor and ESC. This is a perfect temp for a 1/8th scale. We race hard. I battle sponsored drivers in the a-main every weekend, doing what I can to get in the very top. We push the vehicles hard and if the fan fails at the beginning of the race, it will heat up VERY quickly. This is compounded with the very tight body of the EB48. There is little to no room at all inside this buggy for airflow.

3) Gearing is set properly for my track, for my vehicle, for my motor. Again, I'm at about 140, which is a perfectly acceptable range. I should not have to re-gear a vehicle in anticipation of an upcoming fan failure.

4) As mentioned, my fan has three layers of actual cushion on it now (two previously). Hopefully that takes care of it.

Again, love the HW products and have more of them than other brands, but I really dislike at this point a) cables that are hard wired I can't change and instead of 2" of cable end up with nearly 10" b) excessive fan failures.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Gearing too low will cause an esc to have higher temps as well. High esc temp and high motor temp = undergeared. High motor temps and low esc temps = overgeared.

I agree a 2250Kv would be too much if it were another brand motor, but the hobbywing 2250Kv feels pretty tame compared to a turnigy/tekin 1900Kv and a castle 2200Kv. I race my 2250Kv in my eb48 and it's nothing spectacular and i actually prefer a 1900Kv motor.

Out of curiousity, what is everyone geared @ in an eb48 with the hobbywing 2250Kv? I'm @ 15t and wondering if i can go higher.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

I'm at 16t and it's a rocket during acceleration even with punch and timing set to 1. Seems about on par with the rest of the e-1/8ths with maybe a little advantage on the low end (possibly the setup or traction however).
Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Addict

Sorry, but can't say I agree with much if any of that.

1) The 2250 is a highly recommended and very common buggy motor across many brands, especially in the EB48's. It is perfectly fine for track use, especially on some of the bigger outdoor setups (one track is about 140' straight, one nearly 200').

2) All ESC's have the danger of overheating if the fan fails. My system runs relatively cool when the fan works, roughly 140 on motor and ESC. This is a perfect temp for a 1/8th scale. We race hard. I battle sponsored drivers in the a-main every weekend, doing what I can to get in the very top. We push the vehicles hard and if the fan fails at the beginning of the race, it will heat up VERY quickly. This is compounded with the very tight body of the EB48. There is little to no room at all inside this buggy for airflow.

3) Gearing is set properly for my track, for my vehicle, for my motor. Again, I'm at about 140, which is a perfectly acceptable range. I should not have to re-gear a vehicle in anticipation of an upcoming fan failure.

4) As mentioned, my fan has three layers of actual cushion on it now (two previously). Hopefully that takes care of it.

Again, love the HW products and have more of them than other brands, but I really dislike at this point a) cables that are hard wired I can't change and instead of 2" of cable end up with nearly 10" b) excessive fan failures.
I agree with not liking the way the motors are wired. I myself don't like using plugs for connections. I do disagree with your motor size. A 2250 is way to much motor believe me. There's no way your getting all the power from a 2250 down to the ground. I have trouble getting a 1800 to hook up lol.I can't say much about the eb48 . Never ran one. Only trying to help bud. Do yourself a favor and buy some zeal problem solved. I can't remember how many fan blades I used to break off my rx8s. I can definately say its never happened with a hw fan .
Old 08-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

I agree with not liking the way the motors are wired. I myself don't like using plugs for connections. I do disagree with your motor size. A 2250 is way to much motor believe me. There's no way your getting all the power from a 2250 down to the ground. I have trouble getting a 1800 to hook up lol.I can't say much about the eb48 . Never ran one. Only trying to help bud. Do yourself a favor and buy some zeal problem solved. I can't remember how many fan blades I used to break off my rx8s. I can definately say its never happened with a hw fan .
Yup, I have some on the way from nitrohouse. Do yourself a favor and see a tekno in action. Breaking records
Old 08-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Tech Addict

Yup, I have some on the way from nitrohouse. Do yourself a favor and see a tekno in action. Breaking records
I can honestly say I haven't seem one win at any of the 5 tracks i frequent since they have been out.youll like the zeal though good investment.its amazing how many people that won't spend the 15 bucks to protect there 100-200 dollar esc.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I can honestly say I haven't seem one win at any of the 5 tracks i frequent since they have been out.youll like the zeal though good investment.its amazing how many people that won't spend the 15 bucks to protect there 100-200 dollar esc.
I'd take a guess and say those driver's weren't the best. The eb48 is an awesome car and will keep up or beat any e-buggy out there with a good driver. This thing feels faster and faster every week and i'm the only thing holding it back.

While we're on the topic of servo tape, i'd like to reccomend the parma gel silicone servo tape. Sticks great and comes off in one piece no matter how you pull it off.

Shout out and thanks to hobbywing falconsekido for getting me a replacement esc in less than a week turnaround!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Anyone have any tips on getting the rear bearing out on a xerun 3656 4000kv motor? It's definitely stuck. Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi guys.

after some info.

I have a xerun 150, and just got the multifuntion lcd box, and the link program.

My esc is a black one and it has v1.01 firmware on it.

Link progam works fine, but I cannot get access to the throttle control and boost control and such that are shown on the HW website.

Is it because mine is a v1 and not the v2? can I upgrade it? its not an option on the upgrade screen in link.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 01:08 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

You have to power up the ESC to access it with the program.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Sorry I wasn't clear.
I can access the basic and advanced settings and change them and everything. But the more advanced stuff isn't there.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thruan
Sorry I wasn't clear.
I can access the basic and advanced settings and change them and everything. But the more advanced stuff isn't there.
If your esc has boost function it can be access on the Hobbywing USB Link v3.3. You can down load it from Hobbywing web site.

after you down load Hobbywing link you hook you program box to your ESC then you hook the program box to the USB on your computer then turn on your ESC. You can update the firmware for your ESC there and access the boost function for your ESC if it is equipped with boost. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah done all that.

I've updated the firmware. To whatever was the latest. But it was still v1.xxxx

Is there a way to load v2.xxx or v3.xxxx onto it as it seems the v1 firmware doesn't seem to support all the extra's.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:49 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

The Xerun 150 doesn't have those advanced settings, like boost and turbo!.....

The software will only show those firmware versions compatible with the connected ESC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.