Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree192Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 08-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey i have a Xerun 80amp 8th scale esc, im using a CCBEC for my servo and running on 4s i want to know can i run a castle 40x72mm 2350kv motor without killing the esc? I dont do no crazy stuff dirt only no asphalt racetrack usually.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by malik
Hey i have a Xerun 80amp 8th scale esc, im using a CCBEC for my servo and running on 4s i want to know can i run a castle 40x72mm 2350kv motor without killing the esc? I dont do no crazy stuff dirt only no asphalt racetrack usually.
A 150amp would be the better choice, but if you gear it a little bit low and watch the temps it should be fine.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcboy1
That is really weird. were you using a bec?

and actually i have no idea as ive never had a hw esc go up, believe it or not.

and other equipment you use on it? try gearing down first and see what happens.

Just as paul said the v3 is a great reliable esc for this.
No external bec as i was told about how "the hobbywing bec can handle anything". I'm really thinking it was my long motor wires and savox servo that killed it. I'm still gonna run the same savox servo, but i will be shortening my motor wires this time.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
No external bec as i was told about how "the hobbywing bec can handle anything". I'm really thinking it was my long motor wires and savox servo that killed it. I'm still gonna run the same savox servo, but i will be shortening my motor wires this time.
It can, thats why i was wondering. a bec isnt necessary and it can blow up escs. The savox mightve done it, or it couldve just been simply bad luck. you could try soldering on an additional capacitor to the battery leads just to try to smooth out the power input.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Most HW ESC's I've seen only support 3A output. Running Savox, a lot of people recommend 5-6A, so it could have indeed been the issue. I would like to see HW increase that number on newer models (as well as adjustable or higher voltage BEC).
Old 08-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Im running an Ace 2000kv 4074 now, i just wan more speed out of it
Old 08-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NvDesertRat96
I had my timing at 0 and punch at 1. The ESC fan was working. My truck is fairly new and only has about 8 race days on it. Everything rolls smooths no indication of a bad bearing. Gear mesh is good. Im stumped and frustrated
You could also have an issue with the motor drawing way to much current for some reason .if there any visible damage to the capacitors like leaking or puffed?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

It can, thats why i was wondering. a bec isnt necessary and it can blow up escs. The savox mightve done it, or it couldve just been simply bad luck. you could try soldering on an additional capacitor to the battery leads just to try to smooth out the power input.
In my case with my old mmp, an external bec solved pretty much all the issues i was having. My esc caps were the first thing to show damage. They were leaking dark fluid.

Originally Posted by RokleM
Most HW ESC's I've seen only support 3A output. Running Savox, a lot of people recommend 5-6A, so it could have indeed been the issue. I would like to see HW increase that number on newer models (as well as adjustable or higher voltage BEC).
Yes, i really think the savox drew a little too much power than the internal bec could handle. If the esc can't handle any servo, then don't advertise it.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by COBRARACING
You could also have an issue with the motor drawing way to much current for some reason .if there any visible damage to the capacitors like leaking or puffed?
Not that i see, i also run 2 additional caps that are plugged into my receiver. I didnt have the over heat problems while using the stock Losi set up. I wanted more torque and speed thats why i got the Xerun. I also had great luck with my EZrun set up in my Mod 2wd SCT, thats why i got the Xerun for my SCTE 4x4. I have yet to try a 12t pinion, it just sucks i have to gear so darn low just to keep cool. Alot of races are won on the straight at my track so having ridiculous amount of speed sometimes is the difference between a win and 2nd. We also have a couple jumps that you need to go from a 180 turn to a up hill jump so the off the line torque is needed too.

I was hoping someone with a Losi SCTE 4x4 that has the Xerun SCT Pro and 4700kv combo would chime in maybe that had the same issue.

I checked all my bearings. They were all fine. My center diff was due for a rebuild (which i did) so really only thing to do is try a 12t pinion. Ill go to the track Monday and try one and see if i still over heat. If i do ill be calling customer service at HW.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RokleM
6.0 volts 3 amp on the sct pro 120 amp model.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As long as an external BEC is hooked up right it will not blow up ESC's. If anything it causes less strain on ESC's.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
In my case with my old mmp, an external bec solved pretty much all the issues i was having. My esc caps were the first thing to show damage. They were leaking dark fluid.

Yes, i really think the savox drew a little too much power than the internal bec could handle. If the esc can't handle any servo, then don't advertise it.
In my experience the mmp has an even worse bec than the older HW models, which is why a bec is almost needed. I do agree, the BECs in not only HW but lots of others should really be able to handle higher loads. that said, the majority of the time someone is having brown out issues or the like a savox servo is usually the issue unfortunately. if they didnt pull as much current they would be the perfect servos.

Originally Posted by kcobra
As long as an external BEC is hooked up right it will not blow up ESC's. If anything it causes less strain on ESC's.
IF it is hooked up correctly. We all make mistakes sometimes and even if a bec is installed correctly the first time, if you have to do soldering for some reason you may hook it up wrong while rushing. Or you may have a defective bec. to me an external BEC is just another thing that can and will go wrong.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

IF it is hooked up correctly. We all make mistakes sometimes and even if a bec is installed correctly the first time, if you have to do soldering for some reason you may hook it up wrong while rushing. Or you may have a defective bec. to me an external BEC is just another thing that can and will go wrong.
Sure. People can also hook up batteries backwards, etc. An external BEC solves far more problems than it introduces. No brownouts, no missed laps because of low voltage, faster servos, etc.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kcobra
Sure. People can also hook up batteries backwards, etc. An external BEC solves far more problems than it introduces. No brownouts, no missed laps because of low voltage, faster servos, etc.
Youve got a point. still though, i thought i would ask to see if he had one on to better know his situation.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

What is the recommended esc for 2wd mod buggy? I am running a 8.5 and currently run a Tekin rs. Also, what is the correct program box for it? Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.