Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree197Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Wo wo wo...ease off here...no man reads the user manual.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TRiN
From my understanding an esc with a weak bec will simply affect the steering if the form of glitching and at worse brown outs... I don't think a UBEC will help in this case...

Consecutive "quick bursting reverse-forward" will lead to significant ripple current as well as back-EMF... You should at least use the forward/brake/reverse esc setting; only using forward/reverse is asking for trouble on a ~13lbs MT on 6S with heavy tires. Even better would be to setup mechanical brakes with a second servo and disable the motor brakes if your MT allows this.

Soldering a bunch of low esr caps between the batteries and esc or alternatively use a Castle Creations CapPack will also help minimise ripple current.
Hi, I'm actually running an exactly the same set-up, however, I met some problems.

I have a electric-converted revo with hobbywing xerun 150A esc, 4274SD motor and mechanical brake.

My plan is set the esc at fw/rev/brake mode, with drag brake = 0 and brake power disabled, so I have fw, reverse and mechanical brake.

The problem is after I disable the brake power, the reverse is gone. Actually, I tried fw/rev and fw/brake modes. With disabled brake power, none of them has reverse. If I set the brake power at other value, ie. 25%, the reverse is back.

Any one has any idea? Or the mechanical brake ONLY works with fw/brake mode? Or I have to use 25% motor brake and mechanical brake at the same time in the rest of my life?

Thanks!!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Ok so can someone help me understand the timing setting on the 150a esc? I'm running the 4274SD 1800kv motor (so sensored) and the ESC defaults to 15 deg of timing but the manual (yea I actually looked at it ) has the line that timing is for sensorless only.

So I have a couple questions related to this:
1: Is the 15 deg advancing the timing 15 deg or is that the setting it should be if I want no timing added?
2: Does the above just not even matter because I'm running a sensored motor?

Just trying to understand what's going to if I make a change. I had turned this setting back one to 11.25 deg but was going to run at 15 deg this week as I can't get the pinion I want to get (one tooth bigger) before heading to the track.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Henry#40
That's right,the beep sound is made by pulsing the motor.
I am now almost sure I sent a working esc on a long trip to china
Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DfnTaco
Yes i did that and the drive train is nice and free. Thing will roll for days!
What controller are you using? My old Futaba, it applied it's own drag brakes, overriding the esc settings of (0)% drag brakes. Took me forever to figure it out.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Put the new V10 17.5 in my sct. Took it to the track last night. The top end was fine, but had no low end. Geared it the same as I had my reedy sonic, 28/78 7.57. Tried the timing all over the place and could not get low end. The motor temp was good. Think that I am going to try 26/78 8.16 next week. Can only get to the track once a week. The track I run on is medium sized outdoor with below average traction.

Anyone else tried this motor in a sct?
Old 07-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Adept

Sup Guys im Trying to put together a brushless system! I'm getting a tacon 8.5T sensored motor. http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m201-365...-sensored.html and I need a esc but I don't know what amps I need for the esc to be enough for the motor. Will this esc work I took a guess? If not can you please recommend an esc that will work
http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-xerun-60a-sd.html
Old 07-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Ok so can someone help me understand the timing setting on the 150a esc? I'm running the 4274SD 1800kv motor (so sensored) and the ESC defaults to 15 deg of timing but the manual (yea I actually looked at it ) has the line that timing is for sensorless only.

So I have a couple questions related to this:
1: Is the 15 deg advancing the timing 15 deg or is that the setting it should be if I want no timing added?
2: Does the above just not even matter because I'm running a sensored motor?

Just trying to understand what's going to if I make a change. I had turned this setting back one to 11.25 deg but was going to run at 15 deg this week as I can't get the pinion I want to get (one tooth bigger) before heading to the track.
The chart timing description must be an error. The 2.9 timing description to the right of the page should be the one to be believed.

2.9. Timing: The “timing” item is usable for both sensored and sensorless brushless motors. There are many
differences among structures and parameters of different brushless motors, so a fixed timing ESC is difficult to
compatible with all brushless motors. It is necessary to make the timing value programmable. Please select the
most suitable timing value according to the motor you are just using. Generally, higher timing value brings out
higher power output, but the whole efficiency of the system will be slightly lower down

I set mine to 0 timing using the USB Link 3.3
Old 07-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

I suggest buying all hobbywing parts direct from the source, hobbywing's North America company. Hobbypartz will only give you 30 days if you can actually get them on the phone.

Try this combo for under $140 (sensored ans smooth)
http://www.falconsekido.com/products...combo-x-series

James

Originally Posted by TLRNitroBasher
Sup Guys im Trying to put together a brushless system! I'm getting a tacon 8.5T sensored motor. http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m201-365...-sensored.html and I need a esc but I don't know what amps I need for the esc to be enough for the motor. Will this esc work I took a guess? If not can you please recommend an esc that will work
http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-xerun-60a-sd.html
Old 07-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default smoked already

hey guys, just picked up a sct pro and xerun 4700 a couple days ago for my sc10 4x4 and ran my 1st race with them last night. first I must say I loved the power of the system! I switched from a novak esc and reedy 550 4.0 motor and noticed a huge gain in power, I even kept the same gearing so it would run cool and efficient. the first run of practice I had great power but it just cut out on me a couple times. I checked the temp and after 7 min run motor was 140 and esc was 98. the motor was acting like it was stuck but the lites on esc were acting normal so I pulled the motor and it turned fine and the drive train was free rolling so I replaced the sensor wire thinking it was communication problem and all seemed fine on the bench but I lost all power 3 minutes into my first heat and had a puff of smoke that stopped by the time the body was removed. nothing but the actual wires were warm really and back in the pits I pulled the motor and it still feels free turning by hand. im not sure where the smoke came from but the caps look a bit puffed at the top on the esc. I reinstalled the old system to finish the night and used the same battery pack just to be sure it still worked with no issues. I just bought this system from one of falconsekido's official retail shops so I know it supposed to be under warrantee but im wondering what my options are as far as a replacement. I haven't even had it 1 week! I know this is a common story in our hobby so im not steaming mad but I am racing in a series with another race coming up soon so I need something done quick. I live outside l.a. and see that the repair address is close enough for me to drive the system out to save time if that is possible or really I would like to exchange it for another of the same system with the place that I ordered it from. I read about the rma form and all but I was hoping to contact someone on here that could maybe help. I have read lots of good things about HW and that is why I went with this system over the tekin that my local track pushes. I also got good feedback from a few of the guys that run them there also. id really like to be a happy customer too. please help, thanx!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I need a good starting point for the hw 150 with a tekin 1900 motor ( punch - timing - and anything else that would help)
Thanks
Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scoot2539
I need a good starting point for the hw 150 with a tekin 1900 motor ( punch - timing - and anything else that would help)
Thanks
Size of track. Track surface (loose or high traction)

Tekin 4pole motors like the 1900 don't really need or like timing. I'd start with punch no higher than 2 and no more than 3.5 degrees timing. Watch your temps.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Help! LOL! I have a new Xerun V3.1 stock spec speedo...when you have the Airtronics MT-4 transmitter, are the throttle and the brake EPA's supposed to be at 100%? Or maxed out at 150% like the transmitter goes up to when I am calibrating the transmitter? Any help would be appreciated guys.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

100 %

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.