Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD >

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Like Tree191Likes

HOBBYWING TECH SUPPORT 1/8 & 1/10 OFF ROAD

Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

I got a HW sct pro 120amp esc for my tekin pro4 4600kv since all the rx8s were back ordered and when it runs like it should it's a beast but after awhile the HW esc starts glitching, cogging, leds are flashing when they're not supposed to be etc. basically the HW esc and tekin motor DO NOT pair up, I'm not dogging on the HW I just think it's one of those escs that need to be paired w/ it's brand so I'm getting an rx8 this weekend but I don't want to ditch the HW so I'm going to buy a hobbywing motor just to have an extra mtor/esc combo laying around for when I need it, I like having the top end high kv and torque of the 4pole on low gearing so I believe I'm going to go w/ the xerun 4700kv, any1 running this combo if so how is it as far as temps, speed, torque etc.?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XRated SCT
I got a HW sct pro 120amp esc for my tekin pro4 4600kv since all the rx8s were back ordered and when it runs like it should it's a beast but after awhile the HW esc starts glitching, cogging, leds are flashing when they're not supposed to be etc. basically the HW esc and tekin motor DO NOT pair up, I'm not dogging on the HW I just think it's one of those escs that need to be paired w/ it's brand so I'm getting an rx8 this weekend but I don't want to ditch the HW so I'm going to buy a hobbywing motor just to have an extra mtor/esc combo laying around for when I need it, I like having the top end high kv and torque of the 4pole on low gearing so I believe I'm going to go w/ the xerun 4700kv, any1 running this combo if so how is it as far as temps, speed, torque etc.?
Here's the answer why:
Originally Posted by lewis110
It's been a common problem with some Tekins pro 4's. There is a reason that Tekin wants you to use the rx8 with it. The sensor problem comes from the motor being extremely noisey and the speed control gets confused which makes it go into sensorless mode. Novak had the same problem with them when they first came out. The rx8 works so well because after the motor gets up and running the speedo switches over into sensorless mode. Your not the first person to have this problem.

Switch over to the hobbywing 3656sd 4000kv motor and you won't have a problem. Plus you will have more power. Not putting down the Tekins but the rotor in the hobbywing is so much bigger it just allows the motor to do a better job.
The Tekin Pro4 4600 is an awesome motor but does not play well with others. But it's no fault of the motor or the esc's. Just finicky. I had the same issue running the Pro4's with my Novak esc. Heavily documented on the Novak Havoc Pro esc thread.l Novak came up with a brain board update and issue solved. I am experiencing similar issues running a Pro4 4600 with the HW SCT Pro. It runs like a champ but has cogging if I grab full throttle right off the bat. I simply partial pull on the throttle for a split second then can go full. I am going to swap out for the HW 4700kv (around $90)because it's the cost effective move over buying an RX (around $200) plus I'm really liking the HW. New convert here.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jamr1130
Here's the answer why:

The Tekin Pro4 4600 is an awesome motor but does not play well with others. But it's no fault of the motor or the esc's. Just finicky. I had the same issue running the Pro4's with my Novak esc. Heavily documented on the Novak Havoc Pro esc thread.l Novak came up with a brain board update and issue solved. I am experiencing similar issues running a Pro4 4600 with the HW SCT Pro. It runs like a champ but has cogging if I grab full throttle right off the bat. I simply partial pull on the throttle for a split second then can go full. I am going to swap out for the HW 4700kv (around $90)because it's the cost effective move over buying an RX (around $200) plus I'm really liking the HW. New convert here.
Cool thanks man, but yea I know what you mean but I love my pro4 so I'm just going to run it w/ the rx8, but I'm still keeping my HW sct pro and still going to buy the hw4700kv to have, I think it's nice to have extras around just in case I find a good deal on clist or ebay for a roller
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can anybody help , i was wondering if the new v3.1 120a esc would be capatible with xerun3656 4700kv in a tekno sct410. running on a large 1/8 scale track. compatition is running tekin rx8/pro4 setups. thx mike
Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Cool thanks man, but yea I know what you mean but I love my pro4 so I'm just going to run it w/ the rx8, but I'm still keeping my HW sct pro and still going to buy the hw4700kv to have, I think it's nice to have extras around just in case I find a good deal on clist or ebay for a roller
Feel the same way!
Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcboy1
shoot falconsekido an email, they'll hook you up.
Thanks rcboy1!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by whitey_75
The esc has a built in bec.
I'm aware that they have an internal BEC but sometimes they aren't enough...especially if you are running high volt digi servos.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitey_75
I tried about 15-20 different combinations of timing in the motor and timing in the esc. starting with about 20 degrees in both, working down in the motor, then with the esc settings. I tried, high/low, low/high, mid/mid, high/high, low/low and others in between. There was absolutely no difference in the issue with any of the settings.
Originally Posted by babydaddy
Im not familiar with your motor but I am willing to bet your motor has a timing adjustment in it. Usually you will see it at the end bell. Your ESC has timing in it as well. You have to find a sweet spot that the 2 play along together with. I would leave the esc defaulted and adjust the motor to where it acts correctly. Start at 20 degrees and work your way down

Your previous esc probably was not sensored or was (dual mode) similar to Tekin or several others and are only sensored when the motor starts to move or brakes then the esc switches to sensored mode so the timing of the motor did not matter much. The hobbywing/Orions are sensored all the time and misfire the motor as you described if the timing is conflicting until the esc detects a sensor error then switches to sensorless mode indicated by the green and red lights flashing.

Lets start with the basics
Be absolutely sure! That ABC from the esc are going to ABC of the motor. If this was wrong at any point, it’s probably already fried
Unplug the sensor cable for right now
Default the esc
Set the neutral width to 12 percent
Be sure no expo is set on the radio and the travel points are 100 percent
Recalibrate the esc
Unplug the servo
Now test it for basic operation the best you can without the servo
If its still acting up with the above setup, then some other kind of problem is at play. If it acts correctly, then we are back to timing
Old 03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just got my Xerun SCT Pro and the 4700KV today and this thing is awesome.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racefrk41
Can anybody help , i was wondering if the new v3.1 120a esc would be compatible with xerun3656 4700kv in a tekno sct410. running on a large 1/8 scale track. competition is running tekin rx8/pro4 setups. thx mike
I`m running the 4000kv with no issue`s, but I have the timing and boost settings at a moderate level. If you try the 4700kv start with low timing and no boost and gradually add it to your settings .
Paul Rush
HWNA
Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by run_pais
the ezrun system is not sensored. A brushless ESC needs to know the position of the rotor which is what a sensor would tell it. Without knowing the position of the rotor the ESC will not know which phase to fire and hence a stuttered start. The stutter on start rpm is normal, once the motor gets rolling it will go away. In your car you wont be able to tell much cause of the load on the motor; In my experience with sensorless motors the start (from dead stop) is pretty sudden but when you are driving and you get on the brakes and then go back on the throttle you will not be able to tell much of a difference because the inertial of the car would smooth out the stutter... Put it in the car and run it!! It will be fine.
+1...Couldnt have said it better

Its not the ESC's fault and jamr said it best...Tekin's are noisy motors and it fauxs with the esc and will happen with any other esc other than Tekin so dont blame HW since you havent used it on any other esc other than the HW

My HW SCT Pro and 4700 would tear up my buddies RX8/4600 combo all day long and i paid $150 less than he did

Originally Posted by jamr1130
Here's the answer why:

Once you get the 4700 on the SCT Pro you will see you dont need the RX8 or 4600...its an awesome combo and yea, there are a few options more on the RX8 but the price just isnt justifiable
Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 145 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racefrk41
Can anybody help , i was wondering if the new v3.1 120a esc would be capatible with xerun3656 4700kv in a tekno sct410. running on a large 1/8 scale track. compatition is running tekin rx8/pro4 setups. thx mike
i'm running a v3 with a 4000kv in my tekno and with 20 degrees of boost, the thing is a beast. lifts the front end on the straight. i haven't run my 4700 with it, but i would assume it would work fine.

with no boost and a 16T pinion i was 110-120 on motor and 90 on esc after a full 6500 pack of practice. with 20 degrees of boost i was 140-150 on the motor and 100 on the esc after a full pack of practice. so for race conditions (8-10 minutes), the V3.1 and 4700 should be fine as well, even with a little boost.

I FREAKING LOVE THIS COMBO.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 PM
psl
Tech Adept

Just received my 2.1 ESC. I noticed an external capacitor in the box. Does this capacitor need to be installed? The motor it will be paired up with is a Xerun 10.5, it is going in a Dex210.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by psl
Just received my 2.1 ESC. I noticed an external capacitor in the box. Does this capacitor need to be installed? The motor it will be paired up with is a Xerun 10.5, it is going in a Dex210.
yes, hook it up to the + and - on the esc and where you will solder the wires that will run to the battery
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TCCustoms
+1...Couldnt have said it better

Its not the ESC's fault and jamr said it best...Tekin's are noisy motors and it fauxs with the esc and will happen with any other esc other than Tekin so dont blame HW since you havent used it on any other esc other than the HW

My HW SCT Pro and 4700 would tear up my buddies RX8/4600 combo all day long and i paid $150 less than he did

Once you get the 4700 on the SCT Pro you will see you dont need the RX8 or 4600...its an awesome combo and yea, there are a few options more on the RX8 but the price just isnt justifiable
That's exactly why I said I'm not dogging the Hobbywing and I'm keeping it and picking up the 4700kv to have for another setup, but the tekin combo is good enough as well for the track and overall if the hw combo performs better then the tekin combo doesn't mean it'll outperform it on the track, keep in mind I don't have a problem w/ the hw but I'm assuming it's not going to be a day/night difference hw combo vs. tekin combo, but I'll let you know as soon as my hw 4700kv and rx8 come in and I can try both combos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.