Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
lipo charger question >

lipo charger question

lipo charger question

Old 04-08-2011, 04:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default lipo charger question

do you always need to set the capacity at the battery spec to be safe? my batteries are the gens ace 5000 mah 40c i set it at 5100 mah cuttoff.should i just let the charger do its job or keep doing what i am doing by setting the cuttoff at just a little over the battery spec.my charger is the thunder t680 charger. thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If the charger is working correctly it shouldnt be needed

Take note of a packs capacity the first couple of times you charge a particular pack then set it 20% higher for safety if you must use it

Cheers
Old 04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Lipo charging terminates on voltage. This has been reliable in my experience, I've never had one not terminate and can't remember reading where one failed to do so.

The capacity setting is really for NiMh charging where the charge may miss the 'peak' that should terminate a charge and keep charging. I turn capacity off when charging lipo. For NiMh I set it at 10-15% higher than pack capacity.

How do you like the charger? You're the 1st thats said he has one, so maybe a little feedback to help others that may be considering one??
Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Thumbs up lipo charger

the charger imo is a very good charger for the money.it balances up to 8s and charger up to 6.o amps no software but has a dongle to connect to computer(can't get mine to work without software).and it also has a charging squid cable and a replaceable balance plug.so all in all very good charger
Old 04-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like its worth the money. All of these less expensive chargers are tricky to get to work with a PC. After you've done it once and charged a few batts, its not that big of a deal since all you can do from the PC is just watch.

Chargers that let your PC contrl the charger and store charging data are way more expensive!