Wiki Posts
Search

Chargers

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Chargers

Hey forum, so im looking into buying a new charger.
I need you guys to help me out on deciding what to get.
I need something that is AC/DC supported, lipo compatible with balancing,
able to charge nimh, and preferably have at least 5 memory slots.
I was looking at the protek prodigy 65 ac, but i really don't know what else is out there.
Please post on what you think
Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh and one more thing...
Does anyone know any info on the hobbypartz lipos?
Good? Reliable? Long Lasting?
Im looking at the gens ace in particular because i hear they are good an want a few more batteries for the collection.
Post up what you think. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

That is basically the same charger just without AMain's level of support.....plenty of them in use here and pretty good reputation.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

That is basically the same charger just without AMain's level of support.....plenty of them in use here and pretty good reputation.
+1,thats what we use, have nothing but good things to say about them.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

basically the same charger? I think it might just have a different label!
That seems pretty nice too, everything i need... Any other suggestions just post em up
Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

IMO YOUR BETTER OFF LOOKING AT A DC ONLY CHARGER AND GETTING A REGULATED PS TO PAIR UP WITH IT!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

I thought about that and realized thats just extra money, extra crap to carry
around, extra stuff on my pit table, and doesn't seem practical because i never really
use DC unless im out in the field. Believe me, i think everything through
before i buy it so im happy with it. and that wouldnt make me very happy soo.....
Keep the ideas coming
Old 03-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just got these used in the forum here and figured id throw you something to think about. A charger/psu combo doesnt have to be bulky. And this has 2 chargers.

I will probly use a quality psu and dc chargers from now on. More options out there.

Just something to think about.
Attached Thumbnails Chargers-pict0726.jpg   Chargers-pict0727.jpg   Chargers-pict0728.jpg  
Old 03-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Gunner132
I thought about that and realized thats just extra money, extra crap to carry
around, extra stuff on my pit table, and doesn't seem practical because i never really
use DC unless im out in the field. Believe me, i think everything through
before i buy it so im happy with it. and that wouldnt make me very happy soo.....
Keep the ideas coming
Be aware that DC only chargers have ALOT of advantages(like higher constant current)over their AC/DC counter parts. The best chargers are DC only. The majority of the time Im putting around my house(I built my own off road track in the back yard)and regardless, I still only use DC chargers with a regulated 12/24v PS.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

... the more im looking into this the more confused im getting. Bare with me here: higher watts in your power supply is good because you can charge with more power to support bigger packs, and with some new batteries able to charge at up to 5C, you need a higher amperage, and with charging packs at the same time, you need more watts because you have, figuratively, a bigger battery... and a 50w internal power supply wont pump out the numbers required. sooo... the best thing would be to get a higher watt output external power supply and DC only charger because the internal AC adapters isnt enough. PLEASE correct me if im wrong because i really have no idea what im talking about, but i think im right... in a way
Old 03-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

... the more im looking into this the more confused im getting. Bare with me here: higher watts in your power supply is good because you can charge with more power to support bigger packs, and with some new batteries able to charge at up to 5C, you need a higher amperage, and with charging packs at the same time, you need more watts because you have, figuratively, a bigger battery... and a 50w internal power supply wont pump out the numbers required. sooo... the best thing would be to get a higher watt output external power supply and DC only charger because the internal AC adapters isnt enough. PLEASE correct me if im wrong because i really have no idea what im talking about, but i think im right... in a way
Yeah your getting it. Trust me, about 6 months ago when I was getting back into the hobby I wanted an AC/DC unit as well, but after diligent research found out the best chargers are DC only. So you spend a bit more up front, but in the long run you have a much better and more versatile charging system.

I run this PS: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-138V-40A-520W

And this charger: http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

Now I get a top tier system. But they do make smaller wattage/lower cost power supplies(Like the Protek 20) and ichargers that are every bit as good but may suit your needs and budget better.

So you still have the convenience of using your system at home using wall power converted, while having a nice DC charger thats "field" ready to use where there may not be any AC power. And all this having a much higher constant current system which will allow you to charge your packs at higher amperage, and actually be able to do multiple packs(with a balance board)at the SAME TIME at a higher constant current. Trust me, its a WIN-WIN-WIN situation if you dont mind spending a bit more up front for getting a dedicated AC converting PS.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you're looking at charging multiple lipos in parallel or at charging at higher than a 1C rate (like 5C) you will need a charger and a capable power supply. It does take higher watts, If we're talking about a 5000mah 2S lipo charging at 5C, that needs a charger that has at least a 25amp max charge rate and 210watts of output power. The companion power supply would need more output power than that since the charger has some inefficiency to overcome as well as its power output.

Parallel charging (requires same cell count lipos and C rating) is just charging a bigger equivalent lipo - a pair of 5000mah 2S lipos in paralle would be the same a s charging a 10,000mah 2S lipo. Wiring in parallel makes capacity add, but voltage remains the same.

Once you know what you want to charge, then you can look for what kind of max charge rate charger and what power level power supply you'd need.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok... i have it figured out now. I just need to look at the different chargers and their specs. Thank you for your help Duster and NTrain!

Last edited by Gunner132; 03-12-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo