Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Speed Passion Thread >

Speed Passion Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Speed Passion Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

If you do need the PC interface its still here - I had (still have) the LED card and it worked fine to connect to the computer but I dont recall every doing it other then maybe a firmware update.... to answer some of your questions
1 - are you investing in a sinking ship - no because the ship already sunk! But if its a good price its not a big deal.
2 - reliability - I used a reventon R for many years...never once had a problem and sold it used working perfectly. I was generally very happy with the reliability and the features....
3 - Voltage - yeah 2S should be the max - they were geared around racing for the most part so 2S was an acceptable limit for the markey that was buying them. As a basher if your trying to do larger batteries for speed runs or monster trucks its not a good fit.

Still think as a budget racing speedo its perfectly fine....

https://web.archive.org/web/20150219...n/download.asp
Old 06-13-2022, 03:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sacmiata View Post
If you do need the PC interface its still here - I had (still have) the LED card and it worked fine to connect to the computer but I dont recall every doing it other then maybe a firmware update.... to answer some of your questions
1 - are you investing in a sinking ship - no because the ship already sunk! But if its a good price its not a big deal.
2 - reliability - I used a reventon R for many years...never once had a problem and sold it used working perfectly. I was generally very happy with the reliability and the features....
3 - Voltage - yeah 2S should be the max - they were geared around racing for the most part so 2S was an acceptable limit for the markey that was buying them. As a basher if your trying to do larger batteries for speed runs or monster trucks its not a good fit.

Thank you for all the input and thoughts from experience, I am looking forward to seeing what the little 3racing s64 can do with this budget hardware, or I might put the SP motor/ESC in the xxx just to watch it fly. My 8ights can do 6s, which was fun for a minute, but I mostly run them on 4s and sometimes even 3s as the control/power ratio is where I like it. So I'm not trying to be an Arrma driver, but speed is fun and 25mph is boring. Thanks for the link with the downloads, I will get these saved and once the electronics arrive I can give it a go. One more question, would you say that a motor on 2s with turbo and boost would be faster than the same motor on 3s with stock timing? I have never played with any turbo/boost stuff so I am not sure how much faster it can be without overheating everything. Thanks again!
Old 06-13-2022, 04:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I've had one for many, many years. Ran it in a Tamiya M05, so not a very demanding application.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YourConfused View Post
Thank you for the PDF. Solara is sending me a program card but if I decide I want to run more than 1 of these ESC's I might get another program card for a spare, but I also feel like I am buying tickets on a sinking ship since the company is no more.
How has the reliability of these been? I am learning a lot about these and how much road cars differ from my trucks and buggies and all about boost and turbo timing.
I am still waiting on my order to arrive, seems like it is lost at sea currently, so I don't know much about it other than it being the cheapest budget ESC SP made.
Now that I realize the Speed Passion esc's can only run 2s, and I have a bunch of 3s, 4s & 5s batteries, I am second guessing my purchase actually. I guess the 2s batteries aren't super expensive but I also don't want to buy more batteries that need charged and stored etc.
I've raced it on multiple versions of my XB4 and other cars. I have it installed on 2 cars and 1 NIB as a spare. I also have the "higher priced" ESCs and can't tell the damn difference except for features that I will never ever use. As for my skill level, I'm 95% consistent (as per track laps) and no longer hit anything (knock on wood). I'm chasing 0.10's here and there and it's come down to car setup (including weight), battery and motor where I run 17.5 and 13.5 and they are honestly all very close to each other for the price points that I pay. With all else being equal, batteries make the biggest difference IMO. I've run top-of-the-line then 15 year old ESC's to prove a point at my local track that the new tech doesn't make a difference; i.e. - new electronics, although ladened with new features, didn't do anything for my lap times even though I'm already a super consistent driver.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
I've raced it on multiple versions of my XB4 and other cars. I have it installed on 2 cars and 1 NIB as a spare. I also have the "higher priced" ESCs and can't tell the damn difference except for features that I will never ever use. As for my skill level, I'm 95% consistent (as per track laps) and no longer hit anything (knock on wood). I'm chasing 0.10's here and there and it's come down to car setup (including weight), battery and motor where I run 17.5 and 13.5 and they are honestly all very close to each other for the price points that I pay. With all else being equal, batteries make the biggest difference IMO. I've run top-of-the-line then 15 year old ESC's to prove a point at my local track that the new tech doesn't make a difference; i.e. - new electronics, although ladened with new features, didn't do anything for my lap times even though I'm already a super consistent driver.
Thanks for that bit of info. I don't have experience with any high end esc's but some of the cheaper stuff I have used isn't that great feature and control wise, but I have a Racerstar brand (which seems like a rebranded Hobbywing or Hobbystar 150a) esc that I have been really impressed with. My order arrived at customs and was released yesterday so I should get to see my new toys later this week. I don't race, might in the future though, so like you a lot of those fancy features won't be utilized by me. I typically play with everything once, but once I get my settings where I want them I usually leave them alone, since my driving requires more work than getting the timing nailed on the esc. What batteries do you find to be a good value for your setup? I am putting this Speed Passion motor/esc into a 3racing S64 and planned to use the 3s batteries from my Mini 8ight at first, maybe the 3s from the Lasernut will fit, not sure at this point. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's definitely helpful to me.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

One more question, would you say that a motor on 2s with turbo and boost would be faster than the same motor on 3s with stock timing? I have never played with any turbo/boost stuff so I am not sure how much faster it can be without overheating everything. Thanks again!
Good question - unfortunately like car engines there is no replacement for displacement (or in this case voltage!) The boost/turbo functions are nice because it lets you have a lower timing at lower RPM (more torque and cooler temps) and then as you pull the trigger and rev it out the timing changes to make more power (at the cost of higher temps). This way you get all the performance out of the motor. In "blinky" racing were you cant run boost/turbo your stuck with fixed timing so you have to compromise the timing you set on the motor to a number that gives you the best power without running to hot.....

Generally the same motor on 3S with a fixed stock timing will out run a 2S equivalent setup even with boost/turbo to support that motor.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Thanks for that bit of info. I don't have experience with any high end esc's but some of the cheaper stuff I have used isn't that great feature and control wise, but I have a Racerstar brand (which seems like a rebranded Hobbywing or Hobbystar 150a) esc that I have been really impressed with. My order arrived at customs and was released yesterday so I should get to see my new toys later this week. I don't race, might in the future though, so like you a lot of those fancy features won't be utilized by me. I typically play with everything once, but once I get my settings where I want them I usually leave them alone, since my driving requires more work than getting the timing nailed on the esc. What batteries do you find to be a good value for your setup? I am putting this Speed Passion motor/esc into a 3racing S64 and planned to use the 3s batteries from my Mini 8ight at first, maybe the 3s from the Lasernut will fit, not sure at this point. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's definitely helpful to me.
You should be aware that the 3racing S64 is designed to accept only a 2s stick pack lipo, either regular stick or shorty pack. The chassis can't accommodate a 3s pack though.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Good question - unfortunately like car engines there is no replacement for displacement (or in this case voltage!) The boost/turbo functions are nice because it lets you have a lower timing at lower RPM (more torque and cooler temps) and then as you pull the trigger and rev it out the timing changes to make more power (at the cost of higher temps). This way you get all the performance out of the motor. In "blinky" racing were you cant run boost/turbo your stuck with fixed timing so you have to compromise the timing you set on the motor to a number that gives you the best power without running to hot.....

Generally the same motor on 3S with a fixed stock timing will out run a 2S equivalent setup even with boost/turbo to support that motor.
Thank you. That's about what i figured but having only used budget electronics i hadn't experimented with advanced options like boost and turbo. I spent some time looking for dunno chats of rc motors for actual days to analyze but didn't really find much info. I found a little bit and forms it interesting, so i actually look forward to learning more about that in the future. I think I'll be happy with my budget stuff for now, and once i learn to drive better I'll look into what my options are for classes and gear, then get something beyond my hobby wing stuff. That's again.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by alana07 View Post
You should be aware that the 3racing S64 is designed to accept only a 2s stick pack lipo, either regular stick or shorty pack. The chassis can't accommodate a 3s pack though.
I saw reference to 3 batteries in the thread on that car but no specifics on size. I did see people saying that target large batteries did fit, no shorty needed. Could you tell me what the max battery size is since i still haven't gotten mine delivered yet. Thanks
Old 06-15-2022, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

My old Speedpassion esc's are mainly used for backup purposes but others are installed in older vehicles for fun. \
They work just fine but do not have reverse battery protection. Connecting a battery incorrectly has been the most common failure for me.
Highly suggest using a non-reversible plug to prevent those errors.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default ESC use? Yes

The ESC's worked great in both blinky and modiify (boost) forms. Program adjustments could be made with either program boxes or a computer interface. Swapping programs required the computer interface.

Yea! That's enough posts (90) that I can actually sell these old ESC's now.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, the PC interface is still there, but it seems that only page 1 of 5 was archived
The subsequent pages had the various blinky and modify programs, perhaps they are available somewhere else
Old 06-15-2022, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I saw reference to 3 batteries in the thread on that car but no specifics on size. I did see people saying that target large batteries did fit, no shorty needed. Could you tell me what the max battery size is since i still haven't gotten mine delivered yet. Thanks
Any regular 2s hardcased stick packs will fit the S64, typical height of the pack is around 25mm.
I also have the SP Reventon S 17.5t esc/motor combo from 3racing, works great for my usual 2wd buggy runs.