Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Brushless Motors Identical? >

Brushless Motors Identical?

Brushless Motors Identical?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Brushless Motors Identical?

I am looking to get a 10.5 for my 1/12 CRC Gen XL. With the way brushless motors are and the software settings that your esc can do does the brand of motor really matter anymore?

ie: Team Orion Vortex vs Trinity Duo 3 or even say a Hobbywing
Old 02-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Motors can be constructed differently, between materials and whatnot.

Lets say my ballistic vs my D3. The construction is completely different. From the stator to rotor to endbells. Same principle, different design.

One major difference is the sensor timing. The ballistic comes with way more endbell/internal timing than the d3.

This changes a ton when messing with ESC timing and boost. I can only run a little on the ballistic compared to the D3. The d3 seems to respond better to boost settings. If i use the same settings with the ballistic i get less results and a ton of unneeded heat.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

another less known fact is that not all motors with the same wind ie. 10.5 are wound with the same guage wire. Some will use 3 starands of x-gauge wire in parallel wrapped 10.5 times while another may use 4 strands of y- gauge wire again in parallel wrapped 10.5 times. Both are 10.5 motors just use different methods to get there. I've never seen this info really advertised and it can be hard to find.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
another less known fact is that not all motors with the same wind ie. 10.5 are wound with the same guage wire. Some will use 3 starands of x-gauge wire in parallel wrapped 10.5 times while another may use 4 strands of y- gauge wire again in parallel wrapped 10.5 times. Both are 10.5 motors just use different methods to get there. I've never seen this info really advertised and it can be hard to find.
ROAR rules for Spec motors are very strict as to the gauge and the number of strands of wire allowed; mod winds are not as restricted.