R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 01-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default powerlab 8?

I have searched through the forums for word on chargers and most recommend Hyperion and Im pretty sure I will be getting a 0615 Duo3 but what is the word on the powerlab 8? Seems to have more power and features than the hyperion at about the same price, actually about $10 less off one site I found. Im still a noob when it comes to batteries coming from a nitro background so Im sure I may be missing something.
Lason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You're comparing apples and oranges, the PL8 is not a dual type charger....

PL8 has the most power out there of any charger atm and needs a pretty big power supply to make that happen. But any charger that gets up toward that power level is going to need a pretty big power supply.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Can you explain what you mean by dual type charger? Im new to this stuff so I knew I was missing something. I know the 0615 has two sets of charge leads but from what I understand you have to use both sets on one battery to get the full amperage to charge at its fastest rate, right?

I guess what Im thinking is the PL8 will charge two batteries in parallel faster than the 0615 could using its dual charge ports. Am I mistaken in thinking that?

I also realize I wont need all that power right now but I just try to look towards the future as much as I can when making bigger purchases like this. Oh and I have 2 47amp server PSU's wired up as 24v already, ready to go.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Can you explain what you mean by dual type charger? Im new to this stuff so I knew I was missing something. I know the 0615 has two sets of charge leads but from what I understand you have to use both sets on one battery to get the full amperage to charge at its fastest rate, right?

I guess what Im thinking is the PL8 will charge two batteries in parallel faster than the 0615 could using its dual charge ports. Am I mistaken in thinking that?

I also realize I wont need all that power right now but I just try to look towards the future as much as I can when making bigger purchases like this. Oh and I have 2 47amp server PSU's wired up as 24v already, ready to go.
Dual charger is set up for charging two batts at once - there are two sets of output connections and effectively two sets of controls. A non dual, normal type charger is set up with single set of outputs intended to charge a single battery at a time. Parallel charging is effectively charging a single battery.

Max power is limited to 300watt per port or channel and a max charge rate of 15amps. If your power supply has high enough voltage and enough wattage, you can develop full power in either/both ports. You would not connect both sets of outputs to the same battery.

Yes, the PL8 could charge lipos faster in parallel than the new Duo3+ can as a dual charger. That's simply just the difference in charger ouput power, 300watt (per channel) versus 1344 watts and 40amps max charge rate (v2 version). The lipos do have to be high C charge rate capable and the limitations of parallel charging have to be met etc, etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info Duster, you confirmed what I was thinking. One thing I just figured out is the PL8 I found for so cheap didnt include balance boards and everything else I would need so the price quickly went up to almost $300 for "all the bells and whistles".

Thanks again
Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
.... You would not connect both sets of outputs to the same battery.
Depends. Granted itís far more common with a big airplane/heli application than surface, but the Duo can charge up to a 12s in Sync mode, using both ports on a single battery.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

It really depends on your needs. I've searched for a LONG time on the exact charger I needed. The DUO line is amazing. No arguing that. Fantastic chargers, ok price, and TONS of power. But they just charge.....

The Powerlab 8 is called a "workstation" because you can do all kinds of things with it. You can measure internal resistance of EACH cell (not just the pack itself which would interfere since plugs add IR) has graphing capability and an awesome but probably unnecessary feature for most (including me) is regenerative discharge for those flying or driving away from a powersource or using a car battery to power the charger.

The powerlab 8 is IMO a much better charger but I bought it specifically for the ability to measure IR and the graphing abilities. The Icharger series does much of the same things starting barely above $100 for the 106 model up to the same price as the DUO for the 3010 at 1000 watts.

If you don't care/need all the fancy computer stuff then I'd go with the DUO. You'll be very happy with it.
Neu_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neu_Racer View Post
It really depends on your needs. I've searched for a LONG time on the exact charger I needed. The DUO line is amazing. No arguing that. Fantastic chargers, ok price, and TONS of power. But they just charge.....

The Powerlab 8 is called a "workstation" because you can do all kinds of things with it. You can measure internal resistance of EACH cell (not just the pack itself which would interfere since plugs add IR) has graphing capability and an awesome but probably unnecessary feature for most (including me) is regenerative discharge for those flying or driving away from a powersource or using a car battery to power the charger.

The powerlab 8 is IMO a much better charger but I bought it specifically for the ability to measure IR and the graphing abilities. The Icharger series does much of the same things starting barely above $100 for the 106 model up to the same price as the DUO for the 3010 at 1000 watts.

If you don't care/need all the fancy computer stuff then I'd go with the DUO. You'll be very happy with it.

Thanks for the info, I was also interested in the IR checking feature.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I bought the PL8 and love the charger. I bought mine from Dave at progressiverc.com great guy and fast shipping.. was on sale when I got mine. huge write up on rcgroups.com about he charger in the manf. section check it out..
phildoggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
Tech Lord

I had the PL8 on preorder before they came out. I've had nine diff chargers since getting back into this and I've collected a lot of odds and ends. When I found out that nothing would work with the PL8 except their adapters and their connectors and nothing I had was compatible, I cancelled the pre-order.

I still might wind up with one if things keep moving toward bigger and bigger lipos (Baja 5T conversion....).
Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Has anyone used the Orion twin spec charger ? I was thinking about the Duo3 or the Orion but now Thunder power has a dual charger coming out too .
Old 02-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
When I found out that nothing would work with the PL8 except their adapters and their connectors and nothing I had was compatible, I cancelled the pre-order.
Sorry to bring back an old post......

Duster, can you please let me know what you were mentioning there? I still have not purchased a new charger and was thinking about buying the Powerlab 8 to charge my Turniny 4500mah 4s (ebuggy) and Turnigy 5000mah 2s (SCT) batteries. After looking into options it was one of the following...

1)Lots of 4s, lots of 2s batteries and a basic charger so I did not have to charge at the track.

2)Couple of 4s and couple of 2s and a 4 port AC/DC 50W charger

3)Powerlab 8 (quick charging capability) running off car battery. Said to charge the 5000mah 2s in 5-8minutes and the 4500 4s in about 10-12minutes this way?

Last edited by PorTX; 02-10-2012 at 08:36 PM.
PorTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorTX View Post
Sorry to bring back an old post......

Duster, can you please let me know what you were mentioning there? I still have not purchased a new charger and was thinking about buying the Powerlab 8 to charge my Turniny 4500mah 4s (ebuggy) and Turnigy 5000mah 2s (SCT) batteries. After looking into options it was one of the following...

1)Lots of 4s, lots of 2s batteries and a basic charger so I did not have to charge at the track.

2)Couple of 4s and couple of 2s and a 4 port AC/DC 50W charger

3)Powerlab 8 (quick charging capability) running off car battery. Said to charge the 5000mah 2s in 5-8minutes and the 4500 4s in about 10-12minutes this way?
Sir I just got my PL6 in today.

At first it was hard to understand. Meaning I did not know if the setting i had was right to charge. i was trying to use my own brain and was thinking I know it all. Until I had to go check out the video at revolectrix. once I did that. I was charging the right way.

Right now i'm about to PEE lol
this charger is the sh#$!!!!

I got the cpu link and got a free ep buddy board too.

I was going to get the hyperion but i seen and heard my heli guys talking about sending it back it for this or that. and they all picked up or wished they picked up a Powerlab WORKSTATION!!

This charge is the best. I will not need other charge for other 10 years.

Take care read read and buy one time and not 3 or 4 times.

M
Motorman007 is offline   Reply With Quote