Charger advise

Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Charger advise

Just bought my son a Slash 4x4 VXL an I'm about to order another one for us to play with together. I'm also gonna order 5 11.1V 5000Mah lipo batteries aswell but I'm really confused as to what charger to get. The main 2 I've been looking at the Team Checkpoint TC-1030, Triton2 an then the Triton EQ as 3rd choice. My thoughts was I wanted a charger with temp prob an balancer which would be the TC1030 or the Triton2 since the EQ dosent have the temp probe ability. Is the temp probe very important? Any advise would be much appreciated
Old 12-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rip1976 View Post
Just bought my son a Slash 4x4 VXL an I'm about to order another one for us to play with together. I'm also gonna order 5 11.1V 5000Mah lipo batteries aswell but I'm really confused as to what charger to get. The main 2 I've been looking at the Team Checkpoint TC-1030, Triton2 an then the Triton EQ as 3rd choice. My thoughts was I wanted a charger with temp prob an balancer which would be the TC1030 or the Triton2 since the EQ dosent have the temp probe ability. Is the temp probe very important? Any advise would be much appreciated
I would get a icharger 206B+ or a cellpro 10s they have up to 10 amp charge but you will also need a power supply
Old 12-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

As you stated, what you should look at is a lipo capable charger with a builtin balancer and enough charger output power that it will deliver a full 1C charge (1C charge = lipo capacity/1000, so for a 5000, 1C = 5000/1000 = 5amps). The TC1030 (have one, but use only for NiMhs) lacks a balancer so you'd need an external charge thru balancer which can be a pain to get wired correctly

The Triton EQ is just a 50watt charger, it will limit charging current to stay under its 50watt power output limit and it will require longer charging times due to this reduction, but it has a builtin balancer (equalizer as they call it). The Triton 2 is 90watts and wouldn't experience this charge limiting but will once again need a separate balancer. Since these are all DC powered and you either have a power supply or realize you'll need one, consider an iCharger 106b+, its 10amps max charge rate and has builtin balancer and can use a temp probe. Its a 250watt charger and with a sufficient power supply you could charge those lipos at 2C (10amps) if the lipos are 2C charge capable and shorten charge times.

http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

Temp probe is pretty useless/unecessary when charging lipos, I charge some of my lipos at 15amps and temp may rise 2F above room temp. I don't bother connecting one any more.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I give another vote to the iCharger 106B+ or any one in the iCharger line. They are great and I wouldn't hesistate to buy one again. Also, David at Progressive RC is a great guy, fast to answer questions and very helpful.