Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Novak GTB brushless system-reversable? >

Novak GTB brushless system-reversable?

Novak GTB brushless system-reversable?

Old 12-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Novak GTB brushless system-reversable?

Recently i installed a novak GTB esc w/ the 4.5t brushless motor into my traxxas emaxx. Because of the drivetrain setup of the emaxx, i need to run my motor in reverse for the emaxx to go foreward. I run into problems because of the GTB reverse function- there is a delay between "foreward" for the ESC and its "reverse". In a normal car this is fine to have a delay between when the motor stops and then enters reverse, but it simply does not work because now that i have the system in my emaxx there is a delay between when im completely stopped and when the emaxx is able to drive foreward. Possible solutions i had in mind were reversing the solders on the motor, but i can't tell which is positive and which is negative, since there are 3 wires going to the brushless motor. So my question is, is there a way to program the GTB system to work in reverse? Or am i going to have to re solder the wires to the motor?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Well, I may be stepping in it, but I dont think you want to run the esc in reverse, that speedo is gonna be working hard enough already being in a 4wd. If it were me, I would change the wires before running it in reverse, or get a more suitable brushless setup...?? I sent a Pm to a Novak guru-he will have better advice than I...
Old 12-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Don't think it's going to work. As far as I know the GTB does not have reversed motor direction capability, at least in the way you need it.

On a sensored brushless system you can not change the order of the 3 wires going to the motor. That only works on a sensorless system.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

You are best off getting a different system. If you are using a 4.5T 550-size motor it's a bit small and too high KV for an E-Maxx, and if you are using a 4.5T 540-size that's even worse as far as size and KV-rating, definitely not suited for an E-Maxx. And the GTB isn't really an ideal ESC for that either.

Castle and Tekin both have great 1/8 brushless systems.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Company Representative

Our original GTBs do not have a reverse motor rotation feature built-in to the software; our upcoming GTB2s do have this feature.

As other posters have already said, this is not an ideal system for the E-Maxx. Installed correctly, the GTB/Ballistic 550 4.5 would be OK, but not for racing.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice! Ahh thats a shame though that its not going to work out. I did try it out however, and just fought through the hassle of the reverse lag. It handled it ok as far as heat goes, even when i pushed it- and didnt even overheat even though im running it without the cooling fan And for the purpose i was aiming towards it would have been no problem: I have a high torque servo turret installed with a wireless camera and an airsoft gun, and felt i needed the extra speed bonus of going from my stock EVX with 55 turn turn motors to the GTB. We airsoft in a riverbottom/grassy field area, and i would only use short bursts of throttle to get across into the rock crawling section, where overheating problems would hardly be an issue. To put my heart at rest however about not being able to use the GTB in my contraption was that i figured out high speeds would hardly be possible with the high center-of-gravity that the turret adds to the e-maxx. Oh well! I guess my GTB will be going back in my B4 and ill be locking my diffs and crawling out my e-maxx!