Wiki Posts
Search

Better: Hyperion or FlightPower Lipos? for my 2200kv Revo Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Better: Hyperion or FlightPower Lipos? for my 2200kv Revo Conversion

Edit: I just purchased the hyperion. Thanks!

I will be soon purchasing a 6s lipo for my converted revo with a mamba monster 2200kv set up. I am deciding between the two batteries linked below. One is a FlightPower EONX 30c 6S 5000mAh. The other is a HYPERION G3 VX 5500mah 6S 35C/65C

It has a strap down battery plate so I am a bit cautious of the flightpowers wrapping. However, the flightpower has a 180 day crash waranty for 50% refund and I don't see a warranty on the Hyperion.

FlightPower $210 after discount:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXLX8&P=7

Hyperion $190 on sale:
http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...C55006S&cat=18

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by small=breakable; 12-19-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Lord

Hyperions Warranty/Crash Replacement Policy -

"Warranty Coverage

Hyperion G3 LiPo Packs are guaranteed as follows:
• Defects in materials and workmanship (solder joints, etc) for one year from date of purchase.
• Persistent imbalance of one cell of greater than 0.06V compared to average of other cell(s) in the pack. Must be reported within 2 months of date of purchase.

Hyperion G3 Packs are NOT guaranteed for the following:
• Physical Damage to the pack occurring after purchase (impact, water/moisture/salt, etc)
• Over-voltage charging, or other error by charger or user setting of charger.
• Use outside of specifications
• Damage due to improper storage (very hot locations, fully charged storage, etc)
• Short circuit
• Improper balance connections to charger
• Returns without copy of Original Receipt
• Returns without accompanying note stating the reason for return.

Note that a pack in which ALL cells have "ballooned" will not qualify for free warranty replacement. Given a cell failure rate of less than 1/1000, it is statistically impossible that all cells in a pack will balloon together while being properly used and maintained. In virtually all such cases, the problem can be identified over-capacity discharge, radical over-current discharge, improper storage, or charge voltage in excess of 4.205V/cell. In such cases, the Crash Replacement Policy is available to you. If you have experienced this problem, you will need to troubleshoot your charger and power system to determine the cause, so it does not happen again.

Your selling dealer is your first point of contact for warranty issues. Please contact your dealer for advice BEFORE returning any item. In many cases your dealer can help you solve a problem without return. Return postage is the responsibility of the user in all cases.

You MUST Submit a copy of original, dated receipt, and explanation of the problem with the return. Returned units should be examined by the Hyperion dealer’s tech department within 10 days of arrival, and contact made with the user to explain the findings.

Crash Replacement Policy

If you have damaged your Lipo pack for any reason which is NOT covered by free warranty replacement (i.e due to crash, water damage, etc), and within the first year after original purchase, your nearest Hyperion Regional Distributor can exchange your pack for a brand new one of the same type (or lesser value pack), at 40% discount from original Hyperion suggested retail price for the replacement pack, plus return shipping.

• The Pack must be fully discharged before shipping to the Distributor.
• The Return pack must have the original dated receipt (or email confirmation of sale date from original dealer)
• Include the following in a letter, enclosed with your return package:

FULL NAME
SHIPPING ADDRESS
TEL#
EMAIL ADDRESS
DESIRED REPLACEMENT PACK
METHOD of PAYMENT (Paypal email address, or Credit Card details)"
Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wow, thanks a bunch. So it looks like they have pretty similar warranties.

So the things to compare are:

Hyperion-
5500mah
35c continuous
$190
More durable casing

FlightPower-
5000mah
30c continuous
$210
Visable cells

By the specs, the Hyperion seems to be the winner without a doubt but I am just not sure which BRAND is better. For example, I could throw in a turnigy battery for comparison. By the specs it would seem like the winner but they have terrible cycle counts and balance issues.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Tech Lord

Both brands have a pretty good reputation, and I'd believe the C rates were fairly comparable between the two (not optimistic or inflated by one or the other). I'd go with the higher C rate.

Just out of curiosity, is there some reason you've decided on a single 6S instead of a pr of 3S wired in series?
Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

I used to run all Flightpower packs and switched to HP packs...much happier!
Old 12-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Both brands have a pretty good reputation, and I'd believe the C rates were fairly comparable between the two (not optimistic or inflated by one or the other). I'd go with the higher C rate.

Just out of curiosity, is there some reason you've decided on a single 6S instead of a pr of 3S wired in series?
Well it will fit nicely on the one side of my revo conversion , it is cheaper, and my charger will charge it.