Like Tree4Likes

Viper RC -

Old 05-12-2011, 08:17 AM
  #1501  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 252
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
while the motors are very smooth and linear, they are also very slow. I put my VST 17.5 in my car with max external timing and kept the same gearing, esc profile, tires, etc...identical car with a motor change to same wind....coming down the straightaway, the car was about 1/3 as fast as my Orion v3 setup(rediculously slow)....I geared every which way but loose and NEVER could get the motor to be anywhere near as fast/powerful as the Orion, not even close as the Orion's are monsters.....you say the VST's like to be geared tall? Well, many of us have done it with ZERO improvements, dont act like it's all user error, it's not.
I started as the only guy in our area running Viper motors. I had no issues keeping up with the Orion V3 17.5's with my Viper 17.5. You do have to use your brain when gearing it, or yes, you'll either be slower or have no low-end punch.

The fact that my Viper gear was throwing blows with the old tried and true motors is a big reason why we are selling a lot of Viper gear here. Only takes one or 2 people to show up and put up so others can see before they buy.
NetFryer is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 AM
  #1502  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (93)
 
savageboy69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pasco,WA
Posts: 4,135
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NetFryer
I started as the only guy in our area running Viper motors. I had no issues keeping up with the Orion V3 17.5's with my Viper 17.5. You do have to use your brain when gearing it, or yes, you'll either be slower or have no low-end punch.

The fact that my Viper gear was throwing blows with the old tried and true motors is a big reason why we are selling a lot of Viper gear here. Only takes one or 2 people to show up and put up so others can see before they buy.
ive seen weylins sc run and there was no lack of power in that thing, especialy on the straight away
savageboy69 is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 AM
  #1503  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (207)
 
Trevor Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,382
Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)
Default

lol...........a little defensive are we?

I think I know how to gear a stock buggy....or are you going to tell me I dont?

I wasnt looking for a argument, just stating a fact. Im sorry if it ruffled your feathers bigtimer

remember, this is a free country, and a free forum, dont act like you can dictate everyone's posts or conform them to make everything look flawless......I said nothing rude, no bashing, NOTHING outside the rules, Im just stating facts.....so act like a grown man and dont make personal attacks, especially as rediculous as what you posted.....talk about representing? You sir are a joke....
Trevor Williams is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 AM
  #1504  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (59)
 
ohiostatechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 846
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Trevor,
For every one of your post about how slow the viper motors are, there are 50 post about how fast they are. Yes, this is a free county. One in witch majority RULES. Right now I would say you do NOT have the numbers. Not sure what you are doing wrong but these motors are fast. The first weekend I had my 17.5 and vtx10 I tq'ed and won round 2 of the jconcepts super cup.
ohiostatechamp is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:05 AM
  #1505  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (97)
 
DavidR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Mo
Posts: 1,670
Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default

Lets watch the bickering guys...

Everybody is entitled to an opinion... BUT... I don't want to see the thread go up in flames with people going back and forth.

Thanks.

-David
DavidR is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:05 AM
  #1506  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (207)
 
Trevor Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,382
Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)
Default

Reuben,

That was my first post ever in regards to them being slow.........I will not post here again.........good day


TW
Trevor Williams is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 AM
  #1507  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
Fodarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 329
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default SC10 Gearing

Hey Weylin
What would you recommend for a 17.5 in an FT/sc10 at the egtc track? It is got a big sweeper straight and then a tighter infield.. Here is the like to the track layout.. I'm running 76 spur 31 pinion..
Thanks
Jim
Fodarr is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 AM
  #1508  
Tech Rookie
 
Mike.Garrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3
Default

I am a racer myself, and know just as well as anyone that each driver has their personal preferences in equipment. Racers have to race with what they personally feel is right for them.

I truly believe Viper offers great products that are just as competitive, if not more so than some of the competition, however that is MY opinion.

If everyone agreed that there was only one great esc, only one great motor, and only one great setup, then it would be a very boring industry. I don't believe in "bashing" anyone's products as they all are very good, but I think we all can agree that different products work best for different people.

We offer an excellent customer support program, and encourage anyone who feels they are lacking performance in their Viper products to contact us! Certainly we want the very best for you and your equipment, and will do our absolute best to get you running out front!
Mike.Garrison is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM
  #1509  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (6)
 
macdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 968
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Trevor Williams
while the motors are very smooth and linear, they are also very slow. I put my VST 17.5 in my car with max external timing and kept the same gearing, esc profile, tires, etc...identical car with a motor change to same wind....coming down the straightaway, the car was about 1/3 as fast as my Orion v3 setup(rediculously slow)....I geared every which way but loose and NEVER could get the motor to be anywhere near as fast/powerful as the Orion, not even close as the Orion's are monsters.....you say the VST's like to be geared tall? Well, many of us have done it with ZERO improvements, dont act like it's all user error, it's not.
I don't remember stating user error. I am just stating that the motor did not perform for me either so I relegated it to my buggy. Where I had to boost the crap out of it to get it even to compete. I was never able to find the sweet spot in an SC truck. And yes its slow compared to anything other 17.5 I have tried. Here is what I am currently running for buggy indoors. 69/28 with 45* of boost.
When I was running zero timing with a different motor I was geared 69/31 and the speed was about the same. My son running the dou2 motor is geared 72/26 with 9* boost and is just as fast as my car down the straight. I have seen no advantage in power with the stock viper motor. It may needed a tuning rotor to wake it up some. I don't know but it is not a ripper. It is however very smooth as you stated and somewhat easier to drive. But in buggies on carpet with foam tires there really isn't many places to use the mid power band. I need rip more than smooth acceleration on this kind of track. If I was running in dirt it would probably not matter as much because the corner would not be as hard on the equipment and you would want the smoothness to keep the wheels from spinning.
macdude is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 11:18 AM
  #1510  
Tech Rookie
 
Mike.Garrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3
Default

macdude, we offer some optional rotors that you might be interested in trying. Some of our guys are running the 12.3 rotor for stock touring on carpet, and really like the results with no boost added.
Mike.Garrison is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 06:14 PM
  #1511  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 38
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Steup

Any setup starting point for a Losi 22 on a tight short indoor track (14sec lap times)
VTX10R with a 17.5

Thanks
Brian
Hotdog711 is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 PM
  #1512  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (83)
 
smokinu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hughson CA
Posts: 5,608
Trader Rating: 83 (99%+)
Default

thanks viper For the Support of our first big race this year at the Modesto RC raceway Track.
Jeremy Flint and Zach Rodgers are driving up to race/cover with us and me and the other viper drivers in the area Hope to bring home some hardware!
Banner flying at the track
smokinu is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:05 PM
  #1513  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (148)
 
Dlewis4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint Joseph, MO
Posts: 4,758
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

NO FAIR! I WANT A VIPER BANNER
Dlewis4 is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 PM
  #1514  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (83)
 
smokinu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hughson CA
Posts: 5,608
Trader Rating: 83 (99%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dlewis4
NO FAIR! I WANT A VIPER BANNER
haha that one is not mine its the tracks!
maybe i can take it home since they have a second one just around the corner.
smokinu is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM
  #1515  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (148)
 
Dlewis4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint Joseph, MO
Posts: 4,758
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hotdog711
Any setup starting point for a Losi 22 on a tight short indoor track (14sec lap times)
VTX10R with a 17.5

Thanks
Brian
Do you run boost/timing or are you going to run no timing?
Dlewis4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.