Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems! >

Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems!

Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

inspGadgt - we knew it was a misprint - should have asked!!, its also missing on the ROAR Official page, but we are bugging them as well for leaving it off.

My F1 car for IIC on the the FedEx truck and due to be delivered today!!! Can't wait to build it and paint it up!!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

I thought I had but going back through my posts it looks like I only asked on the IIC thread instead of here.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

FYI: I just tried out the PC software for the first time. I had trouble getting it to connect. The problem was that I didn't push the USB cable into the VLink cable hard enough. Once I did that, it all worked perfectly.

-Mike
Old 09-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Tech Champion

Hope you like the changes Mike, lets us know how it works.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

I'm just doing blinky 17.5 on carpet for now. No issues, but didn't notice any differences, either.

Have you guys considered adding push control? I'd like to try that, since I usually prefer no drag brake.

-Mike
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Tech Champion

"Push Control"??? You got me on that, but maybe its the term your using.

We have a Smart Brake system, which can let you add a little bit of drag brake at up to a certain RPM level. Say you want just a little to settle the car on a sweeper, but you dont want to lift and the full drag brake slow down. You can program the Smart Brake to give you a little drag brake, only to a certain RPM, then it reverts to your drag brake setting. Is that what you are referring to? PM me we can go over the details off line.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Tech Champion

Push control is something that started back in the brushed motor days when the magnets were getting stronger and stronger. It got to the point in pan car where just letting off the throttle was just as bad as slamming full brakes. Push control keeps a little forward throttle on when you lift off the throttle to compensate for the drag in the motor. As BL motors develop the same thing is starting to happen again so push control is something that would be nice to have.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Just got confirmation that the A30 listed for the VTX1 at the IIC was a typo and A55 will be allowed. Please ensure testing is done with A55. I'll be updating mine as soon as my cable arrives
Can I borrow your cable so I could update my VTX1?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Tech Elite

Push control is what Tekin calls it.

I never did fully understand dynamic brake. From high speed, does it give you max brake down to the trigger rpm, and then ramp down to the drag brake setting? Or does it do something else?

-Mike
Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RoyU
Can I borrow your cable so I could update my VTX1?
I"ll bring it Sunday with my laptop. Will have to do it at the track as I leave Monday and will need to pack it.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Champion

gripgoat - yes, we are talking about two different things - I remember turning up my throttle trim in the old brush days to avoid that magnet draw from the motor. Interesting that I never really considered it for brushless, maybe 4 pole motors in 4wd SC. Something to look at.

Dynamic or Smart Brake is a program setting for drag brake control. Sorry if this gets wordy ---

Lets say you have drag brake set at 15%, but you have a couple places on track you wish you could just lift off the throttle a little bit, but because of the drag brake it slows you to much (or causes too much weight transfer). You can program smart brake to only give you 5% drag brake down to 10,000 rpms - after that the full 15% will kick in. Enough to help you settle the car, not so much that its like a parachute stopping you.

Now that I type it out, it kinda is like the "push" control -- can't speak for how the other guys do it. I hope that helps, its definitely a tool to play with to see how it help you. When you watch F1 or Indycar racing they are looking to gain time in the braking zone - same thing with our cars, just trying to work that balance of handling, traction, power and stopping.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Mike what 17.5 class are you running sedan or 1/12 and from what i am gathering your running blinky so you should not need "push control " tekin came up with that to get rid of the violent turbo lag they were getting when letting off the throttle after the boost and turbo were ramped up i have run well over 100 packs the last week in my 1/12 and i have never felt like i had drag brakes hit when i lifted any chance you can post a setup your running and what softwear so i can look at it

mark smyka
Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

17.5 sedan. VTX10 with A55 default profile 5.

Push control is the opposite of drag brake. I just asked about dynamic brake because nikos brought it up and that reminded me I never could get an explanation that made sense from weylin.

Honestly, I'm still not sure why you'd want more brake at lower rpm. It seems kinda backwards to me. But that may just be because of the track layouts we usually run. Can you set it up either way, so you get more brake at higher speed and less at lower? Where does the ramp setting come into it?

-Mike
Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

the smart braking system lets you adjust a "drag" brake at certian rpm and strenght range so say your comming into a big sweeping 180 and your push brake is to much for it but you do need to slow your car down to get around it fast you can use this to dial in your brakes so that it will only work when your comming of a long straight i normally use it in 2 wd off road

as for push to drag brake i know they are different thats why i said how tekin came up with it to get rid of the nasty turbo lag they had when comming out of the timing function if you lifted all the way from full boost your car would feel like you down shifted from 5th to 2nd and push control kinda fixed that .

but ass for that feeling i have never felt that with viper software in either my 1/12 or my 2/4 wd buggies thats why i was wondering your setup . but if your on profile 5 i will take a look at it tonight and see if their is something different then what i run

mark smyka
Old 09-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by smyka
the smart braking system lets you adjust a "drag" brake at certian rpm and strenght range so say your comming into a big sweeping 180 and your push brake is to much for it but you do need to slow your car down to get around it fast you can use this to dial in your brakes so that it will only work when your comming of a long straight i normally use it in 2 wd off road
Most tracks I run on have straight sections into fairly tight corners. So I need to get the car slowed quickly, but without over-slowing. So what would make sense to me, is to have smart brake apply a relatively aggressive amount of brake above the set RPM to get the car slowed to approximately the right speed, and then reduce to zero drag brake to let the car roll freely through the corner(s).

I guess my main question is, does the smart brake max strength setting apply above the trigger RPM, or below the trigger RPM? And then the followup question is, what does the "curve" setting do? Is that how it initially applies the smart brake? Or does it control the transition from the max brake setting to drag brake setting? Or am I just thinking about it totally wrong?

-Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.