R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #1306
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone running the viper 21.5 at the Bird's? If so how are they doing?
TC5 set up for USGT
The Hobby Shop in Dayton, Ohio
jpk4ud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #1307
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nikos2002

Mark Smyka and i are running 21.5 in F1 - 1st and 6th right now after 2 rounds.
Sponsored By: Spektrum RC, Horizon Hobby, TLR, Maclan Racing, J Concepts
nikos2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #1308
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos2002 View Post
Mark Smyka and i are running 21.5 in F1 - 1st and 6th right now after 2 rounds.
After running my scte last weekend with the copperhead 5150 system. I was thinking about switching over to the Vipor 21.5 for my usgt set up.

I was looking at the web site and saw it was rated around 1500kv. I have seen others rated between 1700-1900. Just was wondering what is difference could be?
TC5 set up for USGT
The Hobby Shop in Dayton, Ohio
jpk4ud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #1309
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWINSLOWOUT View Post
No, I haven't. And here's why. By turning off the voltage cut off at this point, it would be like putting a band aid on a severed artery. As in, just masking the problem. If it is in fact a low voltage issue, I would like to solve the cause of said low voltage. Will start with the connections, redo the solder joints, try different batteries, etc. One at a time till the issue is gone. If all else fails, I my indeed have to turn off the low voltage protection.

Thanks for your input
Sometimes when u pull throttle, the battery voltage dips. I'm thinking it might dip below the volt cut off
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #1310
Tech Master

I was hoping to get some advice from you guys. I have been looking at the vtx10r for some time now and have been really impressed but I have a couple of questions. first I am running 17.5 tc blinky. I am a clean driver and pretty consistent with my lap times. My standard deviation is usually 0.3 to 0.4 over a 6 minute race. I am looking to start shaving tenths off of my lap times. would there be any difference in performance between the vtx10 or the vtx10r? Since we are running 2 cell would the black edition be better than the standard?

Second. I have only run novak speed controls up to this point. I have run the havoc, edge, and x drive gtb 2. Is there a noticeable difference between the vipers and the Novaks? I'm just trying to get my racing to the "next level". The lrp and tekin speed controls seem to have an edge on the novaks.

One more thing. I am in need of a new 17.5 motor as well. how do the viper motors stack up against reedy, trinity, lrp, etc?

Thanks
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #1311
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
Are you running the VTX-1 in a 12th scale? What motor? For the most part something has to go horribly wrong or put too in much advance timing or gearing it too high for you do damage to your esc.
Unfortunately, I am from Singapore and it is summer all year long.

And yes, I am running VTX-1 in 1/12. Trinity D3.5 motor, at 45mm rollout.

Today, the weather is really hot at 30 degree. Track temperature is around ~42 degree. I measure it with a Raytek temperature gun.

I noticed that if I set the temperature cut off to 220F ~ 100C, and when the ESC cut off, I measure the temperature of the ESC to be 176F ~ 80C. Now, I will set the temperature cut off to be 240F and the ESC will not cut off at around ~82 degree. This is the temperature I measured after a run.

My motor temperature is 50~60 degree C, so, I suppose it is okie.

I am wondering if it is okie then the setting seems to be 20 degree off.
Is there a way to calibrate the temperature of the ESC ?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #1312
Tech Elite

The temperature measurement you get from the progauge is measured from the circuit board and inside the motor close to the rotor. There can be a 20-30F temperature difference between the inside and outside. Its just because of where its measured.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #1313
Tech Elite

vette - simply put our equipment is capable of competing at any level. This week we are here at the Snowbirds with some of the best on road drivers in the world. Viper drivers are in A Mains in 5 of the 7 classes we entered and 5 of the 8 total classes.

Adjustable to any driving style, lap top not required for at track adjustments and many, many features to help you enjoy. If you are only running 17.5 TC, then the regular VTX10 or VTX10BE are the way to go. The R series is for lower modified motors.

Is there a difference?: yes, smoother, provides more power, more adjustability.

As for motors, I might wait a little bit to see what ROAR rules become.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #1314
Tech Regular

Default ...availiblity of CEFX products...

....this may have been noted earlier,but is there an ETA on the availaiility of CEFX products? I was just curious.
Hey Josh, I wish you all the best( if you get to see this.)
Thank you .
Old 02-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #1315
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi am running VST21.5 boosted in tc, the motor came out of the box with 30* endbell timing should i leave it at that and adjust boost/turbo accordingly, or is there more performance to be had in the esc timing? Also do you find it more beneficial to run more boost and very little turbo, or medium boost with more turbo?
thefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #1316
Tech Elite

oreo - we are still in the process of moving the CEFX assets to Viper, this process isn't the quickest, but we are doing what we can. A new website is being designed (I wrote text for it last week flying down to Snowbirds). And parts will not be available until they are received in Redmond and the process is started.

We are also looking at new designs for the 1/12 car and WGT, I think Josh finalized so stuff with 1/12 at Snowbirds (see next post). But production is still way off at best guess. We hope everybody understands and is excited about the cars when they come out -- we will keep everyone up to date on development.

thefan - don't really have any experience with 21.5 boosted in a pan car. I would leave the timing there and experiment as you try different things with the boost. Boost is a really funning thing, there really isn't one perfect setting for everyone and every track, its very detailed. We experimented with it a lot at snowbirds last week and we found their are so many variables between doing it, and doing it "right".
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #1317
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos2002 View Post
oreo - we are still in the process of moving the CEFX assets to Viper, this process isn't the quickest, but we are doing what we can. A new website is being designed (I wrote text for it last week flying down to Snowbirds). And parts will not be available until they are received in Redmond and the process is started.

We are also looking at new designs for the 1/12 car and WGT, I think Josh finalized so stuff with 1/12 at Snowbirds (see next post). But production is still way off at best guess. We hope everybody understands and is excited about the cars when they come out -- we will keep everyone up to date on development.

thefan - don't really have any experience with 21.5 boosted in a pan car. I would leave the timing there and experiment as you try different things with the boost. Boost is a really funning thing, there really isn't one perfect setting for everyone and every track, its very detailed. We experimented with it a lot at snowbirds last week and we found their are so many variables between doing it, and doing it "right".
Any info you can pass on that was learned at Snowbirds would be aswesome.

I am running 17.5 boosted.
Looking for suggested settings like:
End bell timing
Rollout and RPM settings etc.

It would be nice to see some driver settings on the web site.
Clint161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #1318
Tech Elite

Default Snowbirds Recap

What a crazy week of racing. Road Course and Oval, almost spending 24 hours a day in the pits working on something!!!

Congratulations to everyone at the event using Viper products, it was great to see and meet so many people, especially the oval guys, it was cool seeing their excitement about our products. We had some good results as well.....

Mark Smyka won TQ'd and won F1, he was the class of the field with his VTX1 and VST21.5. Carissa Smyla was second using a VTX1. And I even finished 5th using a similar set up to Mark.

Mark also made the A Mains in 1/12 17.5 and 13.5 using the VTX1. Unfortunately rough races kept him back to 7th and 8th finishes including being punted out of the track twice in one main even.

Josh made A Mains in Modified TC and Modified 1/12, but he did it the hard way, Qualifying in the B, he had to race his way into the A by winning the bump up. Both wins were impressive runs. He almost did the same in 13.5 TC, where he finished second by a few feet after coming from way back in the field. In the A mains he had solid runs especially considering he was coming from the back of the pack. 1/12 was amazing, he started 10th, but worked his way through the field to 4th and catching 3rd, when he crashed and went back to 10th. He again worked through the field to 4th (of some of the best 1/12 driver in the world). But ultimately pushed too hard and had the esc shutdown. The updates made to the CEFX 1/12 were great, the car just got better and better so look for more good things from it. We just had a hard time in practice and qualifying getting the boost settings where they worked correctly for Josh, we finally started to hit on it towards he end, but it wasn't "perfect".

Josh also made the Pro Mod A Main in Oval and ran a very competitive race, having been cut off at the start, he lost ground on the leaders, but kept coming, making up ground - just ran out of time. Those guys were running 3.1 second laps its was amazing, you could fee the wind off the cars if you were trackside.

Also thanks to a good number of the oval drivers who were using our products I know we had drivers in atleast 1/12 Open, SK and I think Stock Truck. I think the folks at ovalrc.com were going to print a full list of oval results and equipment when they got home.

All and all a great event. Mark and Josh got to test and verify testing on a few things for the future, we can't wait to bring them too you.... time to get a little sleep.....
Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #1319
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smyka

Hey guys and gals i know a bunch of you have been asking for boosted setups for spec classes and i can only let you know that i will be testing blinky setups for the spec motors since 99 percent of the us major race classes follow this but if you have time to work on some stuff and find a setting you really like please fell free to post it here

thanks
mark smyka
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #1320
Tech Regular

Default ...I can appreciate the information....

....Thank you Nikos2002 for the info----and I didn't intend to hijak the Viper R/C thread----