Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Speed Passion stock club ESC not compatable with Novak 25.5? >

Speed Passion stock club ESC not compatable with Novak 25.5?

Speed Passion stock club ESC not compatable with Novak 25.5?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Speed Passion stock club ESC not compatable with Novak 25.5?

I have the Speed Passion club spec ESC http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...?p=12280&c=ESC

and the regular Novak 25.5 (not the ballistic)

I can't get them to work together. I can't reset the ESC. Tried hooking it up without the sensor wire and it let me set up the ESC, but it didn't run correctly (no brake, top end).

Hooked up the SP 17.5 motor I got with the package and it works fine.

Anyone heard of this problem? Possible solutions?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

Perhaps try this thread, I think it's the right one:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-club-esc.html
Old 10-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

rknott;
If you have the first generation of speed controllers, or if you received one as a prize, then you are correct in that they will not work with the Novak motors. The only way they WILL work is to disconnect the sensor wire, power up the unit, then plug the sensor wire back in.

Don't feel too bad I have two of them that are doing this, one that smells burnt right out of the box (unused) and the forth one I have not even tried out yet.
My son and I got two as prizes and I bought two extra as spares.
I'm working with SP to see what can be done.
Bob O
Old 10-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Company Representative

It is possible that our Tech support guys do not even know this----they will be trying to figure out what's wrong with the Novak motor.

Has SP disclosed this incompatibility?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I'm running my speedpassion with the 17.5 motor it comes with but from a standstill the motor likes to hesitate and will shake, but once it's going it runs fine. Although it seems a bit slower than the other guys with the same combo and I have to gear it way down to keep the temps under control. I'm running a 4.1 rollout and it's still a bit too hot after each run while everyone else is running 3.7 without problem, that might also be why it's quite noticeably slower on the straight.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

The incompatibly is only with the first generation SP controllers. All others after that were "fixed" to work with the Novak motors.
I have been working with a local SP driver that unfortunatly got stuck in the middle of this mess in the Chicago area.
We ran one this past Saturday with the 0 timed 17.5 SP motor and it worked fine up untill the motor smoked.

Bob O
Old 10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Company Representative

If you wish, you can send in both your motor and esc and we will check it out and replace your esc with a Havoc 2S controller---which is compatible with our 25.5 motors. This would be a very good system for USVTA racing.

PM me, if you are interested.

Originally Posted by rknott
I have the Speed Passion club spec ESC http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...?p=12280&c=ESC

and the regular Novak 25.5 (not the ballistic)

I can't get them to work together. I can't reset the ESC. Tried hooking it up without the sensor wire and it let me set up the ESC, but it didn't run correctly (no brake, top end).

Hooked up the SP 17.5 motor I got with the package and it works fine.

Anyone heard of this problem? Possible solutions?
We can check out your esc with our motors and see if we can figure out what's wrong.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Company Representative

Yesterday, I posted this OP on the Cirtix thread hoping their (SP) factory rep could offer suggestions.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Like I said yesterday, I was told this was only a probled on the first generation versions and was corrected on all the others.
Bob O
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by bob o
Like I said yesterday, I was told this was only a probled on the first generation versions and was corrected on all the others.
Bob O
Is it possible that this customer has an older version? How could we tell?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Bob....already send you PM 2 days ago about the solution, please let us know what else we can do to take care of you.

Also...thanks, NovakTwo.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

Solara;
I am in the process of gettings them packaged to send back, but we have JC's wedding this week so it's quite busy.
Also I was not sturing the pot here about my situation, but just passing along the information.
I know you will have SP resolve my issue.
Thanks again
Bob
Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
It is possible that our Tech support guys do not even know this----they will be trying to figure out what's wrong with the Novak motor.

Has SP disclosed this incompatibility?
That is definitely the case. The support guys was very helpful, but unaware of this issue. The guy's name is John H. He was excellent!

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
If you wish, you can send in both your motor and esc and we will check it out and replace your esc with a Havoc 2S controller---which is compatible with our 25.5 motors. This would be a very good system for USVTA racing.

PM me, if you are interested.

We can check out your esc with our motors and see if we can figure out what's wrong.
I wish I would have saw this post!! I have now sent the motor in to Novak and got it back only to find out the problem is with the speed control. I wish I would have gone with the Novak package in the first place.

Originally Posted by Solara
Please have your customer contact Speed Passion USA for service..thanks.
I have now contacted Speed Passion USA

I assume they will tell me to send the ESC in and they will send me one that works. I hope I don't have any problems. I don't know I can find the original purchase receipt. I bought the combo this summer and ended up not using it until now.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)