R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Novak ballistic rip offs???? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/436333-novak-ballistic-rip-offs.html)

2wdMod 09-20-2010 11:40 AM

Novak ballistic rip offs????

2 Attachment(s)
So I was browsing ebay and ran across this sensored brushless system.I got to looking close at the motor and it appears to be a rip off of a novak ballistic motor.

burnineyes 09-20-2010 11:55 AM

Its unfortunate that so many companies these days rip off another company's design. But whats really unfortunate is that they charge half as much and they usually run as good as the original or better. Of course this is just my personal experience, buying the cheap stuff may not be the best for the hobby that I love, but when you can't beat it you can't beat it. I applaud Novak for helping to lead the industry, sadly I have not had good luck with their products since they went brushless, so I look elsewhere and have had great success(luck). Im all for spending a little extra to improve the industry and get good customer service, but when it comes down to racing or not racing Ill go racing.

2wdMod 09-20-2010 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by burnineyes (Post 7963432)
Its unfortunate that so many companies these days rip off another company's design. But whats really unfortunate is that they charge half as much and they usually run as good as the original or better. Of course this is just my personal experience, buying the cheap stuff may not be the best for the hobby that I love, but when you can't beat it you can't beat it. I applaud Novak for helping to lead the industry, sadly I have not had good luck with their products since they went brushless, so I look elsewhere and have had great success(luck). Im all for spending a little extra to improve the industry and get good customer service, but when it comes down to racing or not racing Ill go racing.

I hate to say it,but I am going to buy one just out of curiosity.That motor apears to even have the replaceable stators!! I just have to see if it is a clone, or whether it is the same as my ballistics!! Damn curiosity!!!

trx450racer174 09-20-2010 12:04 PM

Wow thats nuts if you get one post your findings.

2wdMod 09-20-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by trx450racer174 (Post 7963467)
Wow thats nuts if you get one post your findings.

I have to.I am sitting here staring at those pics and staring at a 17.5 ballistic in my hands and it looks the exact same.If it is the same start being carefull when you buy a used ballistic on line!!!

trx450racer174 09-20-2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2wdMod (Post 7963472)
I have to.I am sitting here staring at those pics and staring at a 17.5 ballistic in my hands and it looks the exact same.If it is the same start being carefull when you buy a used ballistic on line!!!

I tend to not buy used motors unless i know the person but i hear ya....

NovakTwo 09-20-2010 12:22 PM

Racers who want to purchase cheap knock-offs from disreputable companies are the reason why American designers' intellectual property can be so easily stolen. You want cool, new products, from American companies but are quick to encourage these fraudulent business practices from copy-cats.

The Ballistics are Novak's original design and no amount of "But, they're cheaper!" relieves purchasers of their own complicity in this unacceptable fraud. But, you already know this.

Do you think that this clone company will ever release original designs of their own for racers? Why bother, when it's so much easier to copy?

burnineyes 09-20-2010 12:36 PM

I could be way off track here, and Ill easily admit it if I am wrong. There will always be a market for the original and the copy. Buyers of the original probably have the money and the need for a top level "no worries" product. But buyers of something like this will be people who have to choose between feeding their family or buying a $100 motor, or in rare cases just curious. But the way I see it, these companies do not need to make it look just like a Ballistic motor. They could maybe add in the product description "compare to XYZ Brand" if it has copied internals, but I do agree that making it look the same is a bad way of doing business. Then again, if these American companies are truly innovative and leading the way, then there is no way a cheap clone could perform anywhere close to as good, right?

NovakTwo 09-20-2010 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by burnineyes (Post 7963575)
I could be way off track here, and Ill easily admit it if I am wrong. There will always be a market for the original and the copy. Buyers of the original probably have the money and the need for a top level "no worries" product.

But buyers of something like this will be people who have to choose between feeding their family or buying a $100 motor, or in rare cases just curious. But the way I see it, these companies do not need to make it look just like a Ballistic motor. They could maybe add in the product description "compare to XYZ Brand" if it has copied internals, but I do agree that making it look the same is a bad way of doing business.

Then again, if these American companies are truly innovative and leading the way, then there is no way a cheap clone could perform anywhere close to as good, right?

If someone were deciding on whether, or not, to feed children, I would be the very first person to tell them to give up R/C!

If Novak paid workers 5.00 per day, our motors would be cheaper. But, if a cheap knock-off clone works good, that surely justifies fraud and duplicity. There must be a reason for the exact copying of the look of our Ballistic motor; wonder what could it be?

2wdMod 09-20-2010 02:24 PM

Oh I am sure the quality will be in the toilet, but i just have to see how far they went to emulate the ballistic motors:lol:

NovakTwo 09-20-2010 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2wdMod (Post 7964010)
Oh I am sure the quality will be in the toilet, but i just have to see how far they went to emulate the ballistic motors:lol:

Trust me....so will Novak.

Dave H 09-20-2010 04:52 PM

Obviously a lot of copying, but not that hard to tell apart it appears. The Ballistics we have do not have the grooves in the bolt up end that appear in the right hand picture.

dickie doyle 09-20-2010 05:26 PM

I wonder, which came first, the chicken or the egg?? My question may be way off based, but there really is a lot of knock offs and copys and sometimes I wonder if they are the same manufacturer that has been contracted to build the parts for the large named company that designed it in the first place. I mean look at rebranded Chinese lipos, old Novak and Hacker motors, Ko and Orion servos, ect ect.... Makes you wonder if it's the same stuff??

burnineyes 09-20-2010 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by dickie doyle (Post 7964780)
I wonder, which came first, the chicken or the egg?? My question may be way off based, but there really is a lot of knock offs and copys and sometimes I wonder if they are the same manufacturer that has been contracted to build the parts for the large named company that designed it in the first place. I mean look at rebranded Chinese lipos, old Novak and Hacker motors, Ko and Orion servos, ect ect.... Makes you wonder if it's the same stuff??

Most of the time it is the same stuff, but not Novak, not according to them. According to them, they design, test, and manufacture everything they sell right here in the good ole US of A. I for one do not know, but I will not doubt them until proven otherwise.

Dave H 09-20-2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by dickie doyle (Post 7964780)

This is so easy… dinosaurs had eggs, and are older than chickens, so the answer is eggs came first. :D

Back on topic, my exposure to Chinese manufacturing going back to the late 70’s and including visits to several factories, colleagues who work there extensively, a former boss who lives there now, etc. suggests many similar items are copies with widely varying quality, and are not the same stuff. Not saying it doesn’t happen of course, but there is a lot of copying for sure.

Hard to comprehend the diversity of manufacturing and companies popping up all over there. It is a very large country to say the least. The seemingly common notion that everything comes from one place is rather amusing at times.