Wiki Posts
Search

FrSky 2.4ghz module reciever for 3pk

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default FrSky 2.4ghz module reciever for 3pk

Anyone tried out the FrSky 2.4ghz module and receiver for the Futaba 3pk? Module and 8 channel receiver package is $34 at HK:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14348

The 4 channel receivers are $14 each. I decided to be a guinea pig and try it out. Not real enamored with the airplane style of the 4ch receivers but they should work fine. System has a good review by an airplane pilot at the following link:

http://rcmodelreviews.com/frskyreview.shtml
Old 10-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

I ran the FrSky system in my Futaba 3PK this weekend at an indoor race. Track is in a large metal building. System worked great. No glitches. Here's the pro's and con's:

Pro's:
  • Price! The $35 module price and $14 receiver price sure beats the $150 Futaba FASST module/receiver combo price. It get's even better when you pay $14 for each additional receiver compared to $100 for Futaba.
  • Binding the receiver with the module and setting the fail safe is very easy. All accomplished with a button on the receiver. No annoying bind plugs to keep track of.
  • The 4 channel receiver is very small. Fit in both my Ve8 and RC8Te receiver boxes without issue. Mounted directly to the chassis on the Tekno D8 without issue.
  • The antenna on the 4 channel receiver is very short. About 2 or 3 inches.

Con's:
  • The plugs being on the side of the receiver (airplane style) can be a little annoying. Makes it hard to insert a servo plug with the receiver mounted to the chassis. Of course this is not an issue in most 1/8th scales with a receiver box.
  • With the plugs on the side of the receiver it would probably be hard to mount the receiver in something like a 1/18th scale.
  • The 4 channel receiver case is the airplane style thick "lexan" type wrap with open ends. You would not want to servo tape the receiver to the chassis as it would not take much to tear apart the casing. For my Tekno D8 I velcro'ed it down. Worked well.
  • The module has the "hump" in it with the antenna mount coming out the side of the hump as shown in the HobbyKing pics. This means the antenna mount is towards the back of the 3PK which makes it impossible to screw the antenna on. Only option is to pop the case apart and either mount the antenna on the opposite side of the hump where there is already a pre-drilled hole or mount it on top of the hump where you have to drill a hole. I chose the top. Used a body reamer to drill the hole.

Unknown:
  • Any overheating issues with the receivers like the Futaba FASST system has.
  • Durability of the receivers in an offroad environment.

After a weekend of use I am very pleased with the system.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's not the Frsky but i have tested the Corona CT3F in my Futaba 3PKS.
Works good, run back to back tests with Spektrum module in PPM mode.
There where no way telling difference between the two that i could notice, not that i'm able to anyway with my driving. I belive this is a better buy than Frsky since you can get 3 channel receivers for about 12 USD extra. I ordered 4 extra reveivers when i got mine.

Here's the link.

http://r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=rcps21216
http://r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=rcps21416

Better deal on ebay. It's only 31.90 USD incl shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Quick update: The FrSky module and receivers have worked flawlessly for about a month now in both 1/8th scale electric and gas. I'm loving the $14 receivers.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone else have experience with this setup?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

TTT
How about some updates from those that have used the diy setups
I am looking at updating my M8