Search

My two new Tactic Radios: TTX240 and TTX404

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default My two new Tactic Radios: TTX240 and TTX404

Hey Guys,

Got my two new Tactic radios, TTX240 and TTX404, in today and though I have not tested them yet on any RC cars, I have to admit I'm impressed.

Tactic TTX240 2.4Ghz 2-Channel <-- The first thing I noticed about this radio was the size, its smaller than I thought it would be which is actually good. Its not too small though, it fits well in my hand and is comfortable to hold. All the switches and dials have a good amount of resistance to them as to prevent you from accidentally turning them during normal operation which I like. The radio feels solid. When I grip it I don't feel like I'm bending the plastic like I did with the DX3S I owned.

Also the balance of the radio is suburb and the amount of resistance in the steering wheel is great, same with the trigger. Also the amount of travel available in the trigger seems to be slighter longer than my Futaba Pistol radios which will allow for a large room of throttle control, however its not too large to be cumbersome.

Tactic TTX404 2.4Ghz 4-Channel <-- The radio is actually a little bigger than I thought it would be, about the same width and height as my Futaba 3GR-FS, however its slimmer which always for a more comfortable hold of the transmitter. Like the TTX240 all the switches have a good amount of resistance and the radio feels just as solid as my Futaba 3GR-FS.

The following is true for both radios! They both bind insanely easy, the easiest bind I have ever dealt with except for maybe the Futaba FASST system, however this will bind even faster. For both receivers, the TR624 and the TR324 (The 3 and 6 standing for the number of channels and the 24 designating 2.4Ghz) you get power to it, click the bind button, turn on the transmitter and I mean literally within 1 second the receiver is bound to the transmitter, its was basically instant, not difficult at all. I turned both the TTX240 and TTX404 on and off several times and the receivers linked to the transmitters almost as soon as the power light came on the transmitters, it was that quick.

Both receivers are small, smaller and lighter than both my SR3000 and R603FF receivers.

The TR324 3-channel receiver has no external antenna, I have a large field behind my house to test the range, but several other reviews have said the range was fantastic, if that is true, I'm more than happen to lose the stupid antenna. I have a bad SR3000 receiver which I think the cause is a lose antenna cable.

The TR624 6-channel receiver has a very small antenna, which is so short that it doesn't really matter and won't get in the way of anything in the RC vehicle.

Both receiver feel solid and it doesn't take much pressure at all to get the bind key pressed which I like.

I like the layout of both radio system, I like that they are just black and silver, nothing fancy about them. I like that they only take 4x AAs. Its the one thing I have missed from my Spektrum transmitters. They both feel good in my hands, the TTX404 is more comfortable to me than the Futaba 3GR-FS because its slimmer and I like the balance and weight of the TTX240 compare to the Futaba 3PM/3PK. I find the 3PK to be top heavy and I find I get tired of holding after about 45 ~ 1 of use. I have not had the 3PK all that long so maybe I would get use to, I'm not sure.

Also TTX240 had two molds on the grip which fit well around my left thumb and non-trigger fingers.

The weight is about the same as my DX3S, however the TTX240 has a longer base, so I haven't worried about setting down the radio and it tipping forward.

I'll report back once I have actually had a chance to use the radios in my various vehicles to see how I like them but so far the outlook is positive for these bargain radio systems.

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Attached Thumbnails My two new Tactic Radios: TTX240 and TTX404-dscn6072.jpg  
Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Nice looking radios....

Do you know if they offer the TTX404 in a heli config (where the left stick rests at the bottom) - its not sprung to rest in the middle position. If they don't then does the manual say anything about converting the tx to heli config?

I guess I need to go find the manual, this may be the same incredible deal as the TTX240 is for surface.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Nice looking radios....

Do you know if they offer the TTX404 in a heli config (where the left stick rests at the bottom) - its not sprung to rest in the middle position. If they don't then does the manual say anything about converting the tx to heli config?

I guess I need to go find the manual, this may be the same incredible deal as the TTX240 is for surface.
Actually the left stick for vertical travel is a ratchet, not spring loaded, probably going to modify mine to be spring loaded seeing as I'm going to be using it for a Monster Truck I'm building.

I don't know anything about helicopters so, does a helicopter have a spring loaded stick that rests on the bottom?

-Disjaukifa
Old 09-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

They're not spring loaded for both nort/south and east west stick movements. The better ones don't have the ratchet feel to them. The left stick is the throttle/rudder and you want it so it stays where you put it as far as north south movement (throttle) is concerned. It is spring loaded as far as east/west (rudder) movement is concerend.

The left stick rests at the bottom (no throttle) and centered as far as rudder position is concerned.

Interesting, I'll go to their site and see if I can find the manual. I didn't realize this was a 6 channel tx you were talking about. Thats what a decent heli starts with.

OK, the TTX404 is a 4 channel TX using a 6channel rcvr (TLAC0624), so I can't use one for my Trex. Don't know why I though it was 6channel....
Old 09-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Duster_360
They're not spring loaded for both nort/south and east west stick movements. The better ones don't have the ratchet feel to them. The left stick is the throttle/rudder and you want it so it stays where you put it as far as north south movement (throttle) is concerned. It is spring loaded as far as east/west (rudder) movement is concerend.

The left stick rests at the bottom (no throttle) and centered as far as rudder position is concerned.

Interesting, I'll go to their site and see if I can find the manual. I didn't realize this was a 6 channel tx you were talking about. Thats what a decent heli starts with.

OK, the TTX404 is a 4 channel TX using a 6channel rcvr (TLAC0624), so I can't use one for my Trex. Don't know why I though it was 6channel....
Yeah thats the confusing part . . . the transmitters are a 2 and 4 channel, however the receivers are a 3 and 6 channel . . .

-Disjaukifa
Old 09-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

pretty sweet, now tactic needs to come out with a radio with some tuning options like EPA,expo,dr, and multi model memory and they will be dialed!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
pretty sweet, now tactic needs to come out with a radio with some tuning options like EPA,expo,dr, and multi model memory and they will be dialed!
I have a gut feeling that the next Tactic radio we see will be a 3-Channel Multi Memory Radio, and if it does come out, I'll be one of the first to buy it. Still haven't had a chance to install either radios yet and use them (Raining today), but I just find it hard to believe that they won't work well.

-Disjaukifa
Old 12-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2 ch 3 ch ? 4 ch 6 ch?

The case has room for the extra channels. When I get brave, I'll open up my 404 and see if I can add channels 5 and 6. Be advised I have 2 years of electronics compliments of uncle sam.
As far as I know they have yet to release the 3 and 6 channel TXs. I only wish.

GaryR
Old 06-10-2021, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What receiver

I know, super old thread. I have one of these tactic 240 radios laying around that I've had for a long time and I like it. Problem is the receiver gave up the ghost years ago and they don't make them anymore. Does anybody know if any of the current tactic receivers are compatible with this radio? Or if there is one from a different brand that will bind to it? I can't find any info on what modulation tactic used for this radio so not sure if any other manufacturers use the same.