Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Can you repair a lipo battery? >

Can you repair a lipo battery?

Can you repair a lipo battery?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Can you repair a lipo battery?

I have a Turnigy 2.2 lipo battery that will not charge. The charger gives me a connection error as if a lead came disconnected. My LHS checked the cable and said there is no signal flow through one of the plug wires - can't remember which one) You can get a signal by checking the balance plug however. Their guess is it's a bad solder connection.

Can you re-solder the charge plug wires?

Yes, I"d return it, but I ordered it from HobbyKing which is located in Hong Kong. The cheapest S&H was $14 which is the same cost as buying and shipping a brand new one.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yes, it can be repaired, but are you comfortable opening the end up with the wires and finding/fixing whats wrong? Can you solder and work with wires and not short the cells out?

These are usually assembled with a small piece of pcb in the wire end - everything is connected to or through that pcb. Sounds like yours has a connection prob with one of the main power leads and needs to be resoldered on the pcb.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

I'm confident I can do a good job for sure, but at this point I either try, or throw it away.

Any tips beyond what you already listed?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Lord

There are some pics here or in Electric Offroad of a lipo repair showing the end you're going to work on opened up. With no search capability atm, thats not much help.

Work carefully and make sure you don't short anything. Use a DVM/MM and make sure you understand what you're looking at wiring wise on the pcb, then isolate the prob and it should be obvious what's needed. Good luck
Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Duster_360
There are some pics here or in Electric Offroad of a lipo repair showing the end you're going to work on opened up. With no search capability atm, thats not much help.

Work carefully and make sure you don't short anything. Use a DVM/MM and make sure you understand what you're looking at wiring wise on the pcb, then isolate the prob and it should be obvious what's needed. Good luck
What's DVM/MM?

Sure appreciate the advice.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Lord

Digital Voltmeter/MultiMeter....something to check voltage with. If you run electrics you really should have one or the other -

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...4&keycode=0000

Doesn't have to be expensive...... I think I paid $2 for mine from Northern when it was on special.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i am having a similar problem... i tossed the battery because it wasn't worth me doing wrong and having my house go up in flames... for $25 i will buy a new turnigy battery
Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adam_mac84
i am having a similar problem... i tossed the battery because it wasn't worth me doing wrong and having my house go up in flames... for $25 i will buy a new turnigy battery
good choice! Ive had one blow up in my face, didnt hurt me but burning pieces flew everywhere, nice burn marks in the floor too