Wiki Posts
Search

need lipo advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default need lipo advice!!

i am tierd of paying big bucks for lipos and i have found that hobbyking has turnigy lipos for really cheap...i have learned that u get what u pay for but the comment s and reviews say otherweis. i need ur advice or experience with these, and how do they compare to the flightmax. thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I use Neuenergy lipos and have used Flightmaxx for 18th scales. The Turnigy's show more voltage diff between cells, but that doesn't seem to get worse like it used to with increased discharge with their zippy lipos. They have gotten better, at least the Turnigys.

The prob is having to fix the probs you purchase. My last order had 2 1800 3S Turnigys for an mini-erevo - one was fine, the other wouldn't charge due to a low cell (0.42v). I managed to fix it and get the low cell back within the variation I see in the other 5 cells, but it took the special cell charger I bought from them for this purpose to do it.

You don't know what you'll wind up with until you open the box when it arrives. I do read that some don't have any probs, but hasn't been my experieince so far. Still, I think they have their place. They are worth the money and I'll be buying more.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

They are great for the price, if you are talking about the black hard pack 5200 30c's.

Two things you have to remember when buying them.

1. They are not roar legal. So no racing, at least not at places that make sure you are running roar packs.

2. If you get a bad pack, you are probably SOL. Someone correct me here. I have not read of anyone sending a pack back and getting a new one.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I read about plane guys doing it - sending them back when they get a DOA lipo from HobbyCity. But they know the warranty - they check voltage out of the box and if there is a prob, the RMA process is started then.

They do not try to charge the pac and they don't change connectors. Either will void your warranty and waste your money. All you're allowed to do by HC warranty is check voltage. Its also about a month long process by the time you get a replacement lipo back from them.

THese are usually higher cell counts - 6S, and cost mor eper lipo too. I wouldn't waste my time or money with a 2S. I either buy extras or deal with the issues as they come.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

HK have started to include tracking info on some of their packs

I recieved some Turnigy 40c 5000mah (2s and 3s) packs last week that have a barcode on them

You enter the barcode at the HK website within 24 hours of recieving the packs and they store them for their records

No mention on what sort of warranty but I guess they are starting the process

Cheers
Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think the type of warranty/customer service issues we see from places like HK are to be expected, hell they are shipping out more lipos before lunchtime than most hobby shops will see in 4 years. But they want our business, you can rest assured of that, and they will make necessary improvements to keep us shopping there.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

I have purchased about 15 packs from hobbyking and have never had a single bad pack. My first purchase was a zippy-r 4s pack for my rc8 almost 3 years ago. It was the only pack I had for the car and was at least 6 cylces on any given raceday for a year and a half before it just died of pure exhaustion.

If you are just buying 2s packs then I would suggest buying 1 more pack than you plan to use just incase you get a bad one. They will replace a pack for you if it arrives bad, but because you have to pay shipping to get the thing back to hk its really not worth it on the cheaper packs. Check to see which pack and subsequent wiring configuration will fit your car. The turnigy 5200's have the wires coming out the front while the 5000's are out the top.