Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thunder T6 - how to balance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default Thunder T6 - how to balance?

When selecting LiPo BALANCE , 5.0A 7.4V (2S)

and having connected up to the batterys' + and - and the micro balance pin connected to the balance adaptor board, I hold down Start/Enter and it 'checks battery' and then the screen

R: 2SER S: 2SER
Confirm (Enter)

comes up and I press enter,

and it begins to charge for 5 seconds and then

LI2S 0.3A 8.40V
BALANCE 0.05 (seconds)

comes up and then alot of beeping and this error comes up:

Battery vol err cell connect

What am I doing wrong? I just want to balance charge the cell (5300mah, 7.4 LRP lipo hardcase battery). The non balance charge mode works fine. But the balance charge does not as above. Can anyone help? It did not come with a manual and factory website does not offer it for downloading.

And what does R: 2SER S: 2SER mean? 2 cell I am guessing.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sounds like something's wrong with the way your balance connector is hooked up. I'm sure that you've made sure everything is connected properly but that's my best guess. There is a manual linked to on the forums somewhere if you search for ac6 manual.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

There are 4 diff balance connectors being used today. Your charger comes equipped to make correct balance connect to lipos with JST-XH balance connector. You may have a diff connector on your lipo.

What lipo are you trying to balance charge?

The R: 2SER S: 2SER means that the charger has found two lipo cells in series - this is the R:2SER. The S: 2SER is number of cells you have seleted. These should obviously be the same.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Start charging in regular lipo charge mode, then connect the balance connector and change the screen to show the individual cell voltage(right arrow). If you have the proper connection you should see each cells individual voltage.
Likely it is going to have the wrong connection, but it could be so far out of balance that one cell is going too high or too low.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Tech Lord

He wouldn't see the 'R: 2SER' part of the message from the charger if one cell was below/over voltage when connected.

I'm still guessing balance connection is somehow wrong. I have a Team Scream 2S2P lipo that will not show up correctly using the correct balance connector - its either wired incorrectly, or its just diff - it does happen.

Reason I asked what brand OP was trying to balance charge.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I agree it is more likely that the connection is wrong. But I disagree that it would not show as 2s on the confirmation screen if one cell was at 3.3V and the other at 2.9V it would read 6.2V and confirm a 2s connection. Or, if both cells are resting at 4.2, and one cell begins to go too high while charging.

I have a cheapo ebay pack that occasionally comes out of balance badly. If I forget to give it a nice slow balance charge and hook it up at 3A, it will confirm 2s connection and charge it until the stronger cell reaches 4.2 and then terminate with the same error message.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks very much for all the help & replies.

With some fear I turned around the small white balancer plug and forced it into the balancer adaptor boards male 2 cell slot the other way around. This meant bending out the plastic sides of a bit as the plug has ribs on it to fit. I did this after reading the comments about plugging in the wrong way - while it was plugged in the 'right' way before ie, plug snapped in correctly this was the only thing I could reverse short of the main + - wires. I then retried 'balance charge' and it worked!

Moral is that some balance cables are wired opposite to some chargers balance adaptor plug ports OR the balance cable/plug I bought separately was wired incorrectly? Not sure but very relieved the thing didn't short out and is working now!
Thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by burnineyes
..... But I disagree that it would not show as 2s on the confirmation screen if one cell was at 3.3V and the other at 2.9V it would read 6.2V and confirm a 2s connection. Or, if both cells are resting at 4.2, and one cell begins to go too high while charging.....
My bad, don't know what I was thinking....

It appears that the balance plug on your lipo was assembled wrong. Once you line up the ribs and push it into place it should work. Yours has been assembled incorrectly and if there's anyway you can return it for another, I would do that. I'd be concerned you will eventually break the adapter where you hae to plugh in backwards.

If you can't return it, you can release the individual balance wires from the balance connector and put them in tyeh right order. Its a major PIA though!

Glad you have it working.....